What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RM Cup & Sydney Shield

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Align every Shield team with a Ron Massey team and the one extra Shield team with the BYE. When the massey team has the bye their shield team plays. Problem solved.
Generally that's how the draw is - GBW/Uni, Moorebank/Blacktown, Wests/EastCtn, Mounties/REH from memory, with Belrose playing whoever has the RMC bye.

What further would complicate it is venue availability, so on and so forth.

Again, a far bigger deal than most are making out.

Pantherman72

Juniors
Generally that's how the draw is - GBW/Uni, Moorebank/Blacktown, Wests/EastCtn, Mounties/REH from memory, with Belrose playing whoever has the RMC bye.

What further would complicate it is venue availability, so on and so forth.

Again, a far bigger deal than most are making out.

Venue availability??? Rubbish. In round 3 Wenty play St.Marys in Ron Massey yet both teams have the BYE in shield and therefore do not play each other twice - I am pretty sure the venue that the Massey game is being played at would also accommodate the Shield game. In Round 10 Asquith play Hills in Ron Massey while their Shield teams both have a BYE and thus only play each other once in Shield. It happens regularly. Its actually more complicated making two teams have a BYE so they dont play each other twice then it would be to just make a fair home and away draw.

rightleftin

Juniors
I reckon the reason they schedule all these byes is so they give 8 points to every team without winning any games. As only 4 teams don't make the finals, instead of having a "finalist" with only 12 points in the season, they record 20 points and it looks like they had a decent season instead of the woeful reality.

imgunawin72

Juniors
I reckon the reason they schedule all these byes is so they give 8 points to every team without winning any games. As only 4 teams don't make the finals, instead of having a "finalist" with only 12 points in the season, they record 20 points and it looks like they had a decent season instead of the woeful reality.
I see your point, but maybe the bye rounds are more about giving the players a rest weekend/s during the season.

rightleftin

Juniors
I see your point, but maybe the bye rounds are more about giving the players a rest weekend/s during the season.

A few years ago, there were 7 byes in RMC, and the clubs showed how much the players needed a rest by putting a stack of them in SS in those weeks. Wests managed to get 1 game in 4 weeks twice during 2017.

imgunawin72

Juniors
A few years ago, there were 7 byes in RMC, and the clubs showed how much the players needed a rest by putting a stack of them in SS in those weeks. Wests managed to get 1 game in 4 weeks twice during 2017.
I was referring to the bye rounds in SS.
But yep some clubs will drop players back if RMC have the bye and SS are playing.

Timmah

Staff member
Venue availability??? Rubbish. In round 3 Wenty play St.Marys in Ron Massey yet both teams have the BYE in shield and therefore do not play each other twice - I am pretty sure the venue that the Massey game is being played at would also accommodate the Shield game. In Round 10 Asquith play Hills in Ron Massey while their Shield teams both have a BYE and thus only play each other once in Shield. It happens regularly. Its actually more complicated making two teams have a BYE so they dont play each other twice then it would be to just make a fair home and away draw.
Quoting individual instances doesn't make your point correct.

I'm not suggesting the draw is perfect but it's not *that* bad. As I outlined initially most of it is to do with the fact the season starts earlier as well - three weeks earlier in fact.

Pantherman72

Juniors
Quoting individual instances doesn't make your point correct.

I'm not suggesting the draw is perfect but it's not *that* bad. As I outlined initially most of it is to do with the fact the season starts earlier as well - three weeks earlier in fact.
It doesnt make my point incorrect either.

Again, starting the comp 3 weeks earlier should only give them more opportunity to play everyone twice. The comp has 24 rounds. We can agree to disagree but there is really no valid reason it cant be just a normal, fair, home and away season.

Tigers1986

Juniors
On the finals, they should really consider moving both the RMC and Shield to a top 5. Having 8 teams out of 11/12 qualify for the playoffs is a joke.

Timmah

Staff member
It doesnt make my point incorrect either.

Again, starting the comp 3 weeks earlier should only give them more opportunity to play everyone twice. The comp has 24 rounds. We can agree to disagree but there is really no valid reason it cant be just a normal, fair, home and away season.
They may have agreed to a certain number of games before the number of teams was confirmed and built a rod for their own backs.

it is what it is - give feedback to the league if it concerns you and they might fix it next season

imgunawin72

Juniors
On the finals, they should really consider moving both the RMC and Shield to a top 5. Having 8 teams out of 11/12 qualify for the playoffs is a joke.
Yep maybe but if they go to top 5 for example then the finals series would be shorter, which means either a shorter season or more round games. I’d rather watch an extra week or 2 of finals.

Razor12

Juniors
5 team finals I don't see any problems with it.
Week 1
2nd v 3rd
4th v 5th loser eliminated
1st week off

Week 2
(1) Loser of 3nd v 3rd play winner of 4th v 5th loser eliminated
(2) 1st v winner of 2nd v 3rd

Week 3
Winner of (1) v loser of (2)
Winner of (2) week off

Grand final winner of (1)/(2) play team with week off.

Timmah

Staff member
Yep maybe but if they go to top 5 for example then the finals series would be shorter, which means either a shorter season or more round games. I’d rather watch an extra week or 2 of finals.
Huh?

5 team finals is still four weeks - 2/3 (qual) and 4/5 (elim) week 1, winner of the qual plays minor premiers in week 2 (winner to GF, loser to PF), loser plays the elim winner (winner to PF), PF winner progresses to GF.

It's the system the NSWRL used for ages before things went to 8 in 1995

EDIT: never mind, @Razor12 described it perfectly above

rightleftin

Juniors
Yes, 5 team finals has nothing to do with less weeks played but everything to do with quality. Last year in SS Guildford had 7 wins 2 draws and 9 losses but played in the GF. Having a top 5 means that you are restricting the finals to teams that have had a relatively good season so again in SS last year the 4th team had 13 wins 5 losses and the 5th team 11 wins and 7 losses so 4 teams went well and one scraped in by a point on a middling performance.

Instead we had 2 teams that had both won 5 out 17 playing each other in the last round to see who had the honour of being a 40-50 point inferior side in the "finals". Limit the finals to well performed teams and then a fluke result means the winners will still be worthy.

imgunawin72

Juniors
Yes, 5 team finals has nothing to do with less weeks played but everything to do with quality. Last year in SS Guildford had 7 wins 2 draws and 9 losses but played in the GF. Having a top 5 means that you are restricting the finals to teams that have had a relatively good season so again in SS last year the 4th team had 13 wins 5 losses and the 5th team 11 wins and 7 losses so 4 teams went well and one scraped in by a point on a middling performance.

Instead we had 2 teams that had both won 5 out 17 playing each other in the last round to see who had the honour of being a 40-50 point inferior side in the "finals". Limit the finals to well performed teams and then a fluke result means the winners will still be worthy.
Fair comments

rightleftin

Juniors
Some interesting selections in Round 1.

At Asquith Will Solway and Jackson Williams have not made the 17 and are also not in SS. No sign of Blake Goodman or Jerry Key. Cameron Yeates is listed as one of North Sydney's 12 contracted players but is in Asquith SS.

At Cabra, Malakai Houma, Jack Morris and Jordan Latham have not been selected in RMC but also not in SS while Justin Frain and Sam McGregor are in both teams.

Wenty RMC will suffer from the club's decision to include only 3 Parramatta players in the NSW Cup team.

St Marys have kept 8 players from the 2018 GF although another 3 - Marli Sini, Tom Romer and Blake McDermott are in the SS team and Shannon Wood is in neither team. Saints have picked up Jake Maizen (Asquith), Maliko Filino (Blacktown Workers), Kurt Falls (Brothers), Billy Tsikrikas (Glebe Burwood), Anton Iaria (Brisbane Easts), Pat Hollis (Windsor) and Leon Feiloakitau (Mackay Cutters)

Wests will play 8 forwards in their 17 with giant prop Hala Akauola playing the centres and another prop Andy Fiagatusa on the wing.

Penani Manumaleelii and Jack Wheelhouse have not been selected in either RMC or SS and Ben Valu, Joe Gardiner and Matt Rickard are in the same boat.