What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Stallion

First Grade
Again, I see no merit in promoting Rugby League in Australia's spring, when the game has already ended it's season. There's no upcoming games to promote and the next season is several months away from beginning.

It's entirely the wrong demographic.

I disagree with this concept, not because of who proposed it, but because I see zero business sense in it.

Marketing should be trying to promote the game ALL off-season, for the entire sport, not just 1 game that already makes a shit tonne of money.

I honestly don't think you have thought through this idea on anything more than a "My opinion is right" level.

I'll stand by this idea as an appropriate and possibly very effective promotion for the NRL Grand Final. Their have been many comments about the lack of presence rugby-league exhibits in Sydney on GRAND FINAL weekend. This is one sure way of addressing that issue. Their can be more ways to celebrate however this angle does complement another popular sport at the same time and in the same city.

Pommy

Coach
I'll stand by this idea as an appropriate and possibly very effective promotion for the NRL Grand Final. Their have been many comments about the lack of presence rugby-league exhibits in Sydney on GRAND FINAL weekend. This is one sure way of addressing that issue. Their can be more ways to celebrate however this angle does complement another popular sport at the same time and in the same city.

Who exactly doesn’t know the grand final is on October long weekend?

Stallion

First Grade
Who exactly doesn’t know the grand final is on October long weekend?

I suggest plenty of people worldwide and the various wealthier type demographic that travel interstate for the big spring races. There's plenty of coin in just those people I've mentioned . I can't give you specific names but certainly people from other parts of the world and differing demographics. Try that for specificity Pommy!

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
I suggest plenty of people worldwide and the various wealthier type demographic that travel interstate for the big spring races. There's plenty of coin in just those people I've mentioned . I can't give you specific names but certainly people from other parts of the world and differing demographics. Try that for specificity Pommy!

The big spring races are in Melbourne

Valheru

Coach
Early part of the Spring they are in Sydney! (And this is building-Everest etc)During finals time. I visit Melbourne for the big races(Derby Day) every year.

Everest is week after GF. Epsom is the only other race worth mentioning in sydney in the spring and no one travels here for it.

Stallion

First Grade
Everest is week after GF. Epsom is the only other race worth mentioning in sydney in the spring and no one travels here for it.

The Sydney Spring Carnival is heating up leading into Melbourne Spring Carnival. The Race day prior to grandfinal day in Sydney has a big card of good races . The "NRL Sprint" or whatever could be another feature on this day.

Pommy

Coach

Do the wealthy interstate people really not know the NRL gf is on? Or is it that they just don’t care?
I don’t give a toss about AFL but I know the final is on the day before the NRL one.

Stallion

First Grade
Do the wealthy interstate people really not know the NRL gf is on? Or is it that they just don’t care?
I don’t give a toss about AFL but I know the final is on the day before the NRL one.

It's probably more the lack of effort from a promotional point of view. If you don't have a go they look for an excuse not to be in the 'know'. Probably not extending rugby league's viewership audience is what's been lost. As mentioned numerous times on other threads their is a distinct lack of rugby league presence in Sydney on GRAND FINAL weekend. This will help the "presence" factor. If we have a race with NRL club jumpers as jockeys silks and call it the NRL GRANDFINAL SPRINT or PRELUDE it would meet the eye of many new people that otherwise would not know its happening. (or choose to ignore it's happening ) After all the NRL grandfinal deserves as much exposure as possible. At the moment it's not happening to anywhere near the extent it could and deserves.

Pommy

Coach
It's probably more the lack of effort from a promotional point of view. If you don't have a go they look for an excuse not to be in the 'know'. Probably not extending rugby league's viewership audience is what's been lost. As mentioned numerous times on other threads their is a distinct lack of rugby league presence in Sydney on GRAND FINAL weekend. This will help the "presence" factor. If we have a race with NRL club jumpers as jockeys silks and call it the NRL GRANDFINAL SPRINT or PRELUDE it would meet the eye of many new people that otherwise would not know its happening. (or choose to ignore it's happening ) After all the NRL grandfinal deserves as much exposure as possible. At the moment it's not happening to anywhere near the extent it could and deserves.

I just totally dispute that it needs a presence in Sydney that weekend. Everyone already knows, I don’t understand who you think doesn’t know.
I’m not sure that’s it even true that it doesn’t 2015 there was a huge presence but I’m not sure it happens every year.
I got married that weekend and spent a lot of time in the city from Thursday onwards. There was a huge stage in Darling harbour under the flyover with different NRL activities going on perhaps even the captains and the trophy were there although I can’t remember for sure. You couldn’t actually move it was so busy to the point it was dangerous and the police had to get involved. Each team had a stand on the quayside heading towards the shopping centre with the food court. Many were selling memberships, my mate got an autograph from Manu Vatuvei at the warriors stand. This was all on the Friday afternoon and it went on all weekend.

Stallion

First Grade
I just totally dispute that it needs a presence in Sydney that weekend. Everyone already knows, I don’t understand who you think doesn’t know.
I’m not sure that’s it even true that it doesn’t 2015 there was a huge presence but I’m not sure it happens every year.
I got married that weekend and spent a lot of time in the city from Thursday onwards. There was a huge stage in Darling harbour under the flyover with different NRL activities going on perhaps even the captains and the trophy were there although I can’t remember for sure. You couldn’t actually move it was so busy to the point it was dangerous and the police had to get involved. Each team had a stand on the quayside heading towards the shopping centre with the food court. Many were selling memberships, my mate got an autograph from Manu Vatuvei at the warriors stand. This was all on the Friday afternoon and it went on all weekend.

Last year their were plenty of comments concerning the lack of Grand Final feel/presence in Sydney on this website.

Valheru

Coach

Not always.

It is last Saturday of September which is not necessarily the Saturday of the October long weekend like this year for example, they are a week apart.

Stallion

First Grade
I’ve decided to go to Metallica and then go to New Zealand for the kiwis game the following weekend.
Just have to get it passed the boss now.

Hope your boss isn't private school educated . If so, you shan't be going to the rugby league.Not on the bosses watch anyway!

Stallion

First Grade
I note that News Ltd is doing its bit to keep rugby league in its "place". Last night the designated Fox League channel had News Ltd journalists Paul Kent and Hooper not entertaining the mention of additional clubs for the NRL. In addition in the show League Life an open forum was staged with the CEO of the News Ltd owned Broncos was deflecting any chance of a second Brisbane team unless the negative outcome of ridding a well established club happens. White(Broncos CEO) deceptively referred to the costly expansion clubs of the AFL in Gold Coast Suns & GWS Giants. He referred to them as expansion clubs.(which they are) The inclusion of a second club in Brisbane is not an expansion for the code but moreover an option of choice for the many rugby league fans within Brisbane. It's clear the Broncos are manipulating things to suit their greedy purposes. It's obvious News Ltd intent is seeing the NRL not genuinely grow. After all the owner of the organisation, Rupert Murdoch, does not like rugby league. So a concerted effort to minimise any genuine growth of the code is at play through this media organisation. It's so disappointing yet its reality before our eyes! Repression of rugby league within Australia at play. It could be so much bigger yet we have such influences making sure this more deserving code/competition not genuinely grow. Such a shame!

Pommy

Coach
I note that News Ltd is doing its bit to keep rugby league in its "place". Last night the designated Fox League channel had News Ltd journalists Paul Kent and Hooper not entertaining the mention of additional clubs for the NRL. In addition in the show League Life an open forum was staged with the CEO of the News Ltd owned Broncos was deflecting any chance of a second Brisbane team unless the negative outcome of ridding a well established club happens. White(Broncos CEO) deceptively referred to the costly expansion clubs of the AFL in Gold Coast Suns & GWS Giants. He referred to them as expansion clubs.(which they are) The inclusion of a second club in Brisbane is not an expansion for the code but moreover an option of choice for the many rugby league fans within Brisbane. It's clear the Broncos are manipulating things to suit their greedy purposes. It's obvious News Ltd intent is seeing the NRL not genuinely grow. After all the owner of the organisation, Rupert Murdoch, does not like rugby league. So a concerted effort to minimise any genuine growth of the code is at play through this media organisation. It's so disappointing yet its reality before our eyes! Repression of rugby league within Australia at play. It could be so much bigger yet we have such influences making sure this more deserving code/competition not genuinely grow. Such a shame!

People giving opinions on TV is not repression.
Old Rupert might not like Rugby League but he likes money more, I don’t think he’s going to actively stop an opportunity to make money.