What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Sharks @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 1: Knights v Sharks

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

General Knight

Juniors
Really impressed with Glasby. Never really paid attention to his game before but you can definitely see the Melbourne game in him. Does all the 1%ers. His tackles were effective, really slowed down the play. You could really see that Melbourne wrestle in him.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Man of the match: Edrick Lee. He knew exactly what he was doing when he gave up the penalty try

Klemmer for mine. But happy with Edrick.

Fingers crossed for Dan. He was looking bloody great before that injury. Finally keeping the legs pumping after the collision and making hard yards.

Fwds and wibgers were terrific. Plus we can inprove!

Old dog

Juniors
Really 1-17 did very well, no really bad performances or top line but some were better than others. Lee, not a fan, but even without the try was very good, Glasby was very effective, Klemmer was solid, Levinprobed well. No spark from 1, 6 & 7 like we expected, Ponga quietest game. Overall a solid but uninspiring game but a win is a win. I am happy

Knight76

Juniors
Dunno what you guys are saying about it being an ugly game!

To me that was beautiful. We took on the Sharks that beat teams through the forwards and just rolling on up the field. We stopped em with tough, hard defence. Then rolled on up field ourselves.

As Brown said in the presser, we out gritted a team, that out grits teams.

That is the exact platform we need to be setting week in week out. Attack will improve with time and remember this was against last seasons 3rd best defence.

I'd say it was the perfect way to start the season. A good hard hit out under our belts where we had to play the 80 minutes to win.

Whgen was the last time you can say a Knights side stayed focused for the 80 minutes?

Yosh

Coach
First time in a long time I felt like we looked like a real good solid first grade team instead of a reserves side filling in for the top squad.

We were up against the Sharks who tend to dominate us and make us look like amateurs but today we looked so solid. Pearce led the team well but Watson and Ponga need to do more in attack. Hooker rotation was good also.

Can't see a single weakness in the squad. Hope Saifiti only has a real short spell out because he is gonna be massive coming off the bench after Klemmer.

aqua_duck

Coach
Just have a look at the stats, our bench smashed em. Fitz ran well and Sione topped the tackle count. What words can I use to describe Klemmer .....my 2019 man crush. Jeez he looks outstanding in red and blue. As for Lee ? what a poetic running motion, beautiful to watch.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20190102/stats
Yep bench did really well and to be honest it's probably to be expected as Guerra, Barnett and Saifiti were all regular starters last year who have now been given an easier role.
Klemmer is exactly what we have missed for so many years, a genuine forward leader and metre eating prop, Glasby is also a very under rated acquisition as he's a really good defender around the ruck, has good line speed and is great in the wrestle, all those 1% that don't necessarily show up in the stat sheet.
If our spine decide to pull their fingers out I think we'll be in a good spot.

Knight Vision

First Grade
just watched the second half again. The highlight was the Gallen knock on, jee the boyz gave it to him. Barny but most notably Fitzy gave him an all mighty spray that just didnt let up, there was some venom in those words, I'd love to know what he said.

Burwood

Bench
My only complaint was captains not facing up in the press conference. When did that change? Any true league fan would have loved to see Gallen sook it up. Needs to be an investigation.

Big Marn

Juniors
Grats on the win guys.
Was interested in your views on that penalty try ruling.
As an impartial observer just watching the game for enjoyment, i was staggered by the ruling, which i was thought was diabolical, based on their flawed reasoning that Katoa would have got to the ball first (considering it deviated 90 degrees into the path of Dugan).

Was jubilant when Edrick got the intercept, as i reckon that was karma (plus the fact he would have been in the bin for a professional foul if that TMO had ruled correct. Almost like double karma)
If you guys had lost, the club would have had grounds to bring that TMO up on criminal charges (tongue in cheek).

Once again, great result guys. All the best for the season.

Burwood

Bench
I had the sister in law from Germany watching the game with me and I was trying to explain what was happening when the ruling went upstairs. Told her that it was a certain no try to Dugan, but a very clear sin bin for Lee’s interference on Katoa. We were both very confused by the penalty try ruling, but cheering when Lee took the intercept.

I think the cards ended up falling our way very nicely, although it was hard to tell what exactly was going to happen with 9 minutes to go.

Johns Magic

Referee
What a great win, very happy. Shades of Round 1 last year.

Klemmer enormous as expected.

Glasby showed a bit more than I thought he would. I think lock suits him better than prop.

Gavet was ok but I think has more to offer.

Edrick had a great night in D but I'm sure he'll look silly plenty of times this year too with his decision-making. It came off last night though.

Ponga and Watson I'll let slide in attack because the Sharks are just so good at shutting things down. I'm hopeful it works out but right now not convinced.

Guerra and Barnett did a job through the middle off the bench and that quality and toughness during the middle of games will be a huge asset this season.

Very happy for Sione, he was great and played tough. Punched above his weight and made his tackles hurt.

Didn't get to see much skill from Hunt but he muscled up in contact. One loose ball he scrambled for and dived on really stood out to me. Happy with him if that's the standard, especially as a backup.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
When was the last time kept a team to 8 or less?

Only time in recent memory I can think of is when we beat the Titans 30-2 (or May have been 30-0) on a very cold Saturday night at home in 2015.

just watched the second half again. The highlight was the Gallen knock on, jee the boyz gave it to him. Barny but most notably Fitzy gave him an all mighty spray that just didnt let up, there was some venom in those words, I'd love to know what he said.
Looked to me like he said the word respect so I think it was something like “show some f**king respect”. Only right it was them 2 sticking it to Gal considering the defeats we have suffered against them over the last few years.

Latest posts