What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

Starkers

Bench
i think these are all quite good:

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-18_8-33-43.png
    upload_2019-3-18_8-33-43.png
    408.1 KB · Views: 21
  • upload_2019-3-18_8-34-0.png
    upload_2019-3-18_8-34-0.png
    367.4 KB · Views: 21
  • upload_2019-3-18_8-34-18.png
    upload_2019-3-18_8-34-18.png
    338.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:

mongoose

Coach
fox must be including kayo numbers. if they aren't then the true ratings must be huge. I know quite a few people who said they would dump foxtel for kayo though...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
fox must be including kayo numbers. if they aren't then the true ratings must be huge. I know quite a few people who said they would dump foxtel for kayo though...
Foxtel's numbers are cable/sat subscriber only as far as I know.

Starkers

Bench
i watched most of the weekend on kayo, but dragons v cowboys & raiders v titans were both playing up on the streaming, so i flicked over to the fox channels. did anyone else have that problem?

85k lower isn't much, would easily have been made up on kayo i reckon.

Starkers

Bench
alright, i've found something here: https://mediaweek.com.au/news-corp-reveals-subscription-numbers-for-kayo-updates-newspaper-subs/

highlights: 2.5m subs direct to foxtel, 115k to kayo and 285k to foxtel now (?)

As of December 31, 2018, new Foxtel’s total closing subscribers were approximately 2.9 million, which was higher than the prior year, primarily due to Foxtel Now subscriber growth, the inclusion of commercial subscribers of Fox Sports Australia beginning in the first quarter of fiscal 2019 and the launch of Kayo Sports, partially offset by lower broadcast subscribers. 2.5 million of the total closing subscribers were broadcast and commercial subscribers, and the remainder consisted of Foxtel Now and Kayo Sports subscribers.

As of February 5, 2019, there were 115,000 Kayo Sports subscribers, of which approximately 100,000 were paying subscribers. Broadcast subscriber churn in the quarter was 15.6% compared to 14.5% in the prior year, reflecting the impact of the price increase implemented in October. Broadcast ARPU for the quarter declined 3% compared to the prior year to A$78 (US$56), reflecting a 2% negative impact related to the adoption of the new revenue recognition standard.

News Corp commented this morning that the growth in Kayo did no correspond with a drop in premium Foxtel subscriptions. As to speculation Foxtel subscribers might be ditching their iQ boxes, Robert Thomson quipped: “The higher the iQ the better.”

News Corp also revealed that research into the 70% of Australians who do not subscribe to Foxtel indicated many would pay for a cheaper version of the subscription offering.

so it does appear that most subscribers to kayo are NRL fans, given the quip on higher IQ.

Starkers

Bench
for perspective, the rugby union crowd is talking about a 55% bump in foxtel ratings for 2019, from a 55k average in 2018 and a 51k average in 2017. So far in 2019, super rugby is averaging 85k

i don't have an explanation, but possible things are reduction of teams, world cup year, general spike in interest. very low base though, obviously.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
for perspective, the rugby union crowd is talking about a 55% bump in foxtel ratings for 2019, from a 55k average in 2018 and a 51k average in 2017. So far in 2019, super rugby is averaging 85k

i don't have an explanation, but possible things are reduction of teams, world cup year, general spike in interest. very low base though, obviously.

Interesting! I've noted an increased push on Fox for rugby union related content. Be it for international union games and local NRC games. On some days at any given time their is 3 different FOX channels showing union content (7s, Super, 6 nations union& local club championshio)
Noticeably the crowds at the local level are embarassing however the increased exposure for this code on this medium is apparent. It seems "free publicity" for this code, no matter how irrelevant to mainstream Australian sports fans is a priority for FOX sport.

Last edited:

Perth Tiger

Bench

don't their ratings normally tank once the NRL and AFL seasons start.

They get like a month of clean air then everyone forgets about them. The only way to compare is at the end of the season.

azza29

Juniors
Crowds seem to be up a bit as well, at least in Melbourne (South African clubs look like they struggle to get 1000 people to attend). Aussie teams looking a little more competitive will help both ratings and crowds.

Those A League figures are absolutely dismal though, I knew soccer was on the nose but ouch.

The 'home of league' sharpening the knives after 1 round. Does the missing 85k turn out to be on Kayo? I know I didn't watch a minute of 9 (why would you??) and got it all through Kayo.
I was wondering this as well, streamed a few games over the weekend and very happy with the quality of the stream and commentary. Couldn't justify a Foxtel subscription in the past but Kayo seems good value for the price. Miles ahead of Gem's muddy standard def picture and inane banter.

Latest posts