What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freddy calls to sack Widdop.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Lomax is an excellent goal kicker so, drop Aitken and .Ravalawa ten select Lomax and Pearson in their place. We might just solve the right side defensive leaks and the goal kicking problem left behind after we let Widdop go.

Lets give Ravalwa a couple of games to prove his worth, remember he is outside of Aitken. Also, his side and hard running at the line particularly the second tackle deep in our half is vital. Please watch the games again and look at the metres he was making with each carry.

My wingers would be Ravalwa and Pearson.
Centres Lomax and Norman.

I would tell these guys you have 6 weeks to prove that's your spot to keep.

I would then go to Aitken and Lafai and say you have been overtaken by these guys and you need to kill it in CC/ISP to push you way back into first grade. Its now up to you.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
My way of thinking is that Widdop is at fullback because Bennett played him there for England same with Hunt with his stint at hooker at The Donkeys...for mine Im thinking Dufty to fullback, Widdop back to 5/8, and try Norman in the centres with Lafai or young Lomax ( who can kick as well)....what have we got to lose tbh.....the way things are panning out we could very well be looking at 0 from 4..most of us know what the real problem is but that aint gonna happen is it

kit66

Bench
There's not much of this I can agree with possm, with all due respect.

possm said - To be fair, many on here including myself were supporting the idea of Widdop at fullback. I form an opinion early in the trial game against Newcastle that Widdop was playing injured or was protecting his shoulder against re-injuring it before moving on to his new contract.

Widdop was only moved to fullback because Dufty was making a mess of his game through poor defence and lack of confidence when taking a high ball. Well as t turns out, Widdop is no better defensively right now and let some high balls bounce when he could have taken them on the full. More than this he only ran about 16m in round 1 and mostly ran sideways when he took possession of the ball.

Widdop was moved to accommodate Norman pure and simple, just as Dufty was dropped to fit Norman in. If Dufty's form was a problem we wouldn't have re-signed. He's our future fullback 100%.
I agree Widdop at the back has been terrible, his kick return metres are embarrassing, his support play non-existent and his positional play near our line and try saving skills were much better when he played 5/8.

It is truly time to let Widdop go and let him prepare his body for his next contract. It is also very important that we use his salary together with De Belin's salary to bolster our squad with experienced to grade players we most urgently need at the moment. One or two games with Dufty at the back will tell us if we need to purchase a new fullback/winger. Again, one or two games with Pearson and Lomax on the right edge will tell us if we need to buy a new centre/winger.

No coach in the NRL would let a player of Widdop's calibre go early, quite frankly it's a preposterous idea. He's in the top 3 5/8's in the game and as many point out his kicking game is as good as anyone's. Note to Mary "Just give him his jersey back you f***ing arsehat"
Lomax will be in the team within the next few weeks, you can put money on it. Aitken is a great runner of the ball but useless in defence out wide, having him in the team is reckless, keeping him is willful sabotage.

It is very clear we need to buy a high quality backrow forward right now. With K Sims coming into the side, the extent of our problems in our forward pack will become clear however, Leilua is not fit enough to be in the run on side and possibly be on the bench. I do have confidence that we have our prop rotation covered with the likes of our young forwards; Kerr, Timm and Lawrie.

Our backrowers are Frizzel, Sims, Host and if he can regain some form,Leilua. If we need more backrowers they should be promising youngsters we can bring through - do we have any ?
Unless of course we could find a mid to late career Beau Scott type somewhere as back up I'd be OK with that.
We need another quality prop to replace DeBelin and possibly a second for the bench as I don't think Kerr and Timm are going to shine quite as brightly as we may hope. If they do surprise us we keep them and drop Latimore.

Question : Where the hell did the Broncos find all those great young forwards so suddenly out of the blue ?

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Nope. Keep him here. Keep him at fullback. Keep Aitken in the centres. Keep Dufty on the bench. Keep Latimore in first grade. Keep this whole f**king schmozzle going.

Half a season of these abominations and there’s no way Mary is kept on board. Then the footy can truly begin again, after so many years.

possm

Coach
My way of thinking is that Widdop is at fullback because Bennett played him there for England same with Hunt with his stint at hooker at The Donkeys...for mine Im thinking Dufty to fullback, Widdop back to 5/8, and try Norman in the centres with Lafai or young Lomax ( who can kick as well)....what have we got to lose tbh.....the way things are panning out we could very well be looking at 0 from 4..most of us know what the real problem is but that aint gonna happen is it
Mary has had the whole off-season and two trials to settle on his 17. The result so far is two big losses and performances that are not impressive. The right edge is still a huge problem and I must say Mary seems to have done very little to correct this:
Selects Aitken even though most would agree he is the main cause of the problem.
Selects Ravalawa who demonstrated an inability to defend, take a high ball and was out of position several times during both games.
Pearson is likely to be our best winger in the Club.
Lomax is already a better centre than Aitken.
Host did well on the right edge however, why as Leilua ever put on the right coming of the bench?
Laurie did well
Kerr was OK but needs to do better against the Bronkos
Timm needs to be given his chance at the expense of Latimore who is surplus to our requirements in first grade.

possm

Coach
Nope. Keep him here. Keep him at fullback. Keep Aitken in the centres. Keep Dufty on the bench. Keep Latimore in first grade. Keep this whole f**king schmozzle going.

Half a season of these abominations and there’s no way Mary is kept on board. Then the footy can truly begin again, after so many years.

The word is that Dean Young will be made interim coach and then the backroom deals will begin - deals to ensure Dean Young is our next head coach. Don't underestimate the strength of the old boys club and it's ability to get things done according to it's wishes.

Widdop is a first class goal kicker.
So is Lomax.
I reckon none of the starting 13 - not just Widdop - feel like they are under any pressure to perform. They know that Mary is going to pick them week in, week out.
For as long as he is here, though, Widdop belongs in the halves.
The starting backline I would have is :
1 Duffty 2 Pereira 3 Lomax 4 Lafai 5 Pearson 6 Norman 7 Widdop with Hunt going to hooker and McInnes to lock.
And Robson on the bench.
Not that I expect that to happen.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The word is that Dean Young will be made interim coach and then the backroom deals will begin - deals to ensure Dean Young is our next head coach. Don't underestimate the strength of the old boys club and it's ability to get things done according to it's wishes.
Dean Young....sorry wouldnt be my pick...old boy clean out required shouldnt except anything less imo

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
So is Lomax.
I reckon none of the starting 13 - not just Widdop - feel like they are under any pressure to perform. They know that Mary is going to pick them week in, week out.
For as long as he is here, though, Widdop belongs in the halves.
The starting backline I would have is :
1 Duffty 2 Pereira 3 Lomax 4 Lafai 5 Pearson 6 Norman 7 Widdop with Hunt going to hooker and McInnes to lock.
And Robson on the bench.
Not that I expect that to happen.
Congratulations on your first post bye the way...tend to agree with you to much cut and paste is one of problems.....the other is the bloke that implements it

Datramp

Juniors
Watching Widdop at fullback when the opposition are running at him, he always goes for the intercept rather than take out the ball carrier. Big sign that he does not want to make a high impact tackle.

He is not confident in that shoulder, just wondering if that his reason to go to Super League and pickup one less big contract and minimise the longer term damage.

Yeah. Like when he tackled a rampaging taumololo one on one... Oh wait that is the opposite.
Widdop is not the problem. He should be 5/8.

BennyV

Referee
What word are you listening to?

The calm one

Juniors
The word from who

FlameThrower

Bench
And that is my greatest fear - we dump an average coach with an average coaching staff behind him and replace with a green rookie with the same support staff. This would be a disaster of biblical proportions!!!

Latest posts