What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermittent Fasting

Choppy182

Juniors
Anybody doing/tried this?

I'm returning from some back injuries (stemming from broken back 7 years ago) and am finally able to get back into the gym. During this time I haven't been as active as I would normally be and have put on weight. Getting married in Nov I want to trim down by then, I have 5 months. Looking to lose around 12-15kg. I'm 100kg at the moment. As a result I'm looking into fasting as I've read there is so many benefits from doing it.

I'm curious to know -

When do you train? during your fasting? or during your feeding window?

What type of training you do? (weights only? Cardio only? both?)

Snoochies

First Grade

I'm returning from some back injuries (stemming from broken back 7 years ago) and am finally able to get back into the gym. During this time I haven't been as active as I would normally be and have put on weight. Getting married in Nov I want to trim down by then, I have 5 months. Looking to lose around 12-15kg. I'm 100kg at the moment. As a result I'm looking into fasting as I've read there is so many benefits from doing it.

I'm curious to know -

Hey mate,

Currently doing a 16:8 fast. I tried a 20:4 fast along time ago and lost a lot of weight but one piece of advice is learn about BMR as I totally screwed mine up by eating minimal calories and when I went to eat normally again I gained a tonne of weight just by eating normal, so even though you are looking at fasting, eat the right amount of calories and don't restrict too much.

In saying that here's what I do at the moment. I fast between 8pm and til 12pm and only have water and black coffee during that time. I eat a good lunch at midday, smaller snack around 3pm and a good dinner.
I was back to eating 6 smaller meals per day but for me personally, I like stacking my plate with food and feel better eating larger meals. It's really personal preference.

I train weights Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and follow 2 of those workouts with cardio. Wed and Sat I do sprints and add in some riding where ever I can.

I feel much better fasting, hunger isn't an issue and you really do enjoy your meals more, they aren't a chore. I actually get excited about a salad.

Check out Thomas Delauer, he has some really good youtube videos and breaks down the scientific stuff really well but if it suits you, do it!

Good luck

Choppy182

Juniors
Hey mate,

Currently doing a 16:8 fast. I tried a 20:4 fast along time ago and lost a lot of weight but one piece of advice is learn about BMR as I totally screwed mine up by eating minimal calories and when I went to eat normally again I gained a tonne of weight just by eating normal, so even though you are looking at fasting, eat the right amount of calories and don't restrict too much.

In saying that here's what I do at the moment. I fast between 8pm and til 12pm and only have water and black coffee during that time. I eat a good lunch at midday, smaller snack around 3pm and a good dinner.
I was back to eating 6 smaller meals per day but for me personally, I like stacking my plate with food and feel better eating larger meals. It's really personal preference.

I train weights Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and follow 2 of those workouts with cardio. Wed and Sat I do sprints and add in some riding where ever I can.

I feel much better fasting, hunger isn't an issue and you really do enjoy your meals more, they aren't a chore. I actually get excited about a salad.

Check out Thomas Delauer, he has some really good youtube videos and breaks down the scientific stuff really well but if it suits you, do it!

Good luck

the eating ill be fine I think as I don't ever eat in the morning ever. Your scheduling is near Identical to what I've mapped out so glad to see it works for you. Yeah I have checked him out, simples things real well.

DeeJ

Bench
I practice IF but not with any goals in mind than to save time and have convenience. I start work at 7am and have lunch at 11am which is a decent sized meal. I'll train at 3-4pm after I've finished work so I'm eating at 5-6pm.

I'm not sure if this is breaking the benefit or the fast but for the last few months I've had a piece of fruit around 9am (my first break) which helps curb the hunger. I find that on days that I do train, I'm more disciplined at dinner, but days that I don't, I'm hopeless and start snacking.

Energy wise I think it's ok for training. There's the first hump of hunger you have to get over and after that you feel like you don't need to eat forever.

Meth

Staff member
I lost 20 kg with intermittent fasting. Put 10 back on a year after going back to normal. I wouldn't say I was ill disciplined, not completely disciplined- but it is worrying to watch the weight come back on once you've lost it.

Patorick

Staff member
Fasting during the day.

Eat 6pm-9pm.

Cutting back on water too. Been carrying a lot of water weight around.

T-Boon

Coach
I lost 20 kg with intermittent fasting. Put 10 back on a year after going back to normal. I wouldn't say I was ill disciplined, not completely disciplined- but it is worrying to watch the weight come back on once you've lost it.

Any updates? Did you get the weight back off or keep blowing out?
I've lost 15kg in about 2 months.
It works unbelievably well.

Meth

Staff member
Any updates? Did you get the weight back off or keep blowing out?
I've lost 15kg in about 2 months.
It works unbelievably well.

I was 105-108.

I went down to 85 and then have come back up to 95 and stayed there.

I go to the gym 3x per week and I am not unrestrained in eating.

I have heard there is a risk of metabolic damage, which can make it hard to keep the weight off long term

bileduct

Coach
I've seen some pretty crazy takes on intermittent fasting, like only eating during a four hour window of every second day.

I've gone for a less extreme approach of having an 8 hour window for all my meals (9am to 5pm) and then 16 hours of fasting. One of my biggest problems in the past was night eating (especially after midnight), and I was taking in food during pretty much my entire waking day. The 8 hour window really helped curb that bad habit and my weight loss is progressing much better than I thought it would.

My own observations from trying several different methods of getting into better shape is that if weight loss is your goal your plan should be 95% focused around what you eat and when you eat it. Exercise, particularly high intensity/cardio stuff is going to result in increased hunger and make you more likely to binge eat, have cheat days or lose interest entirely and put all the weight back on. Walking should be sufficient.

Fordy20

Juniors
I'm doing 16-8 and my window is from 12-8. I'm also doing PSMF at a 60% deficit. I have a black coffee about 10:30 to get me through to noon. I'm starting weights next week and I'll probably have some amino acids pre and during my workout, but I expect I'll have to bring my calories up a little bit.

TheFrog

Coach

I'm curious to know -

I had success with calorie counting using software (My Fitness Pal). With 20 weeks (well it's not that now) you can lose .5kg per week which is fairly gentle. You can do whatever training suits you, so long as you have a means of accurately working out calorie burns. Not all estimates of calories burnt during exercise are accurate or even close. A heart rate monitor really helps.

Latest posts