What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 championship & league one..

adamkungl

Immortal
2 months in and it's a really interesting bunch of teams at the top of the Championship with the 2 foreign clubs fighting off rejuvenated York and Sheffield sides for the lead. =5th we have the old guard northern clubs all jostling for position.
Going to be a cracking playoff series at year's end if this continues.
At the other end, looks like Widnes will pretty comfortably escape relegation. They're back to 0 and rolling racking up wins.

League One the top of the table is dominated by the M62 and Cumbria, with other clubs across England having a mixed opening 4 weeks.
Neither Welsh side has managed a win yet, but good on West Wales for not getting flogged this week. They'll get one up soon.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
At the other end, looks like Widnes will pretty comfortably escape relegation. They're back to 0 and rolling racking up wins.
They're only four wins off a top five berth as well. I reckon enough clubs above them will be stumbling and by the end of the season Widnes can challenge for a spot in the playoffs. Their differential is already impressive and they have a game in hand on most other clubs as well.

upload_2019-3-25_13-27-13.png

Walter sobchak

First Grade
2 months in and it's a really interesting bunch of teams at the top of the Championship with the 2 foreign clubs fighting off rejuvenated York and Sheffield sides for the lead. =5th we have the old guard northern clubs all jostling for position.
Going to be a cracking playoff series at year's end if this continues.

League One the top of the table is dominated by the M62 and Cumbria, with other clubs across England having a mixed opening 4 weeks.
Neither Welsh side has managed a win yet, but good on West Wales for not getting flogged this week. They'll get one up soon.
Sheffield eagles are the surprise package for me so far. If only they could get the people of that great huge city behind them.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
They're only four wins off a top five berth as well. I reckon enough clubs above them will be stumbling and by the end of the season Widnes can challenge for a spot in the playoffs. Their differential is already impressive and they have a game in hand on most other clubs as well.

View attachment 28375
That top 4 is an expansionists and big city clubs wet dream including York with I believe has a population of just over 200,000.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
More importantly, it's a place people have actually heard of and want to visit
Plus it’s the only professional/semi-professional RL club in North Yorkshire which although is mostly rural with a large number of market sized towns gives them an even bigger catchment area.

deluded pom?

Coach
Plus it’s the only professional/semi-professional RL club in North Yorkshire which although is mostly rural with a large number of market sized towns gives them an even bigger catchment area.
But how many of those market towns have any RL history or presence currently? Very few. I've talked about this with a lad at work and we came to the conclusion that there are certain middle class towns and cities that don't support sport well. York is one of them IMO. Harrogate is another.

Dakink

Bench
Is there a chance with a proactive club, good marketing and community engagement that small steps into these towns can occur? Or is it not worth the effort or simply not going to happen??

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Is there a chance with a proactive club, good marketing and community engagement that small steps into these towns can occur? Or is it not worth the effort or simply not going to happen??
If your talking about York and North Yorkshire in particular I think it’s a case of getting RL people/volunteers on the ground to set up junior teams from say u8’s right through to u18’s and girls teams.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
But how many of those market towns have any RL history or presence currently? Very few. I've talked about this with a lad at work and we came to the conclusion that there are certain middle class towns and cities that don't support sport well. York is one of them IMO. Harrogate is another.
I think RU is strong in a lot of these market towns in North Yorkshire.

Evil Homer

Staff member
No, if you're talking about North Yorkshire then there aren't really any major settlements aside from York, it's an extremely large rural and segregated area and the population of the county as a whole is lower than the city of Sheffield. There would also be pretty severe demographic issues given the nature of most of those small towns and villages. It's not really worth it or desirable and nor would it really work. As for York itself, the RL club is pretty well run and gets relatively good crowds already given their status, if they ever made it to SL I don't see any reason they couldn't be as well supported as the likes of Huddersfield/Wakefield or similar.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Would Sheffield or York bring more benefit to the SL if one was to earn promotion?
Compared to each other? In theory Sheffield, it's a far bigger population and one of the best sporting cities in the country. The issues are firstly that the club doesn't have a proper stadium, the ground that they used in the early days of SL was demolished a few years ago and they're currently playing on what is basically a training field, which is supposedly going to have an actual stadium built on it at some point but the project has stalled over and over again and I don't know what the current status is. Secondly and more importantly RL has a ridiculously low profile in Sheffield, I'd say that probably 90-95% of the population would have either not heard of RL or not know anything about it or be able to differentiate it from RU, which seems crazy when you consider it's only about 30 minutes drive from places like Featherstone but that's the way it is in the UK. It's the same with other big Northern cities like Liverpool and Manchester. There have been one or two decent junior clubs in Sheffield which have produced pro players and people have worked hard there for a lot of years, but there really is just no RL culture at all.

York is a much smaller place and, as the above poster said, doesn't really have any sporting culture or tradition at all. But in terms of off-field stuff they would be ahead of Sheffield, they get decent crowds, their new stadium should be opened later this year (although would not really be big enough for SL) and there's also a bit more of a RL presence with at least 3 or 4 pretty strong amateur teams. I wouldn't really consider them to be an expansion team whereas Sheffield definitely still would be, even after being in existence for 30+ years.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Compared to each other? In theory Sheffield, it's a far bigger population and one of the best sporting cities in the country. The issues are firstly that the club doesn't have a proper stadium, the ground that they used in the early days of SL was demolished a few years ago and they're currently playing on what is basically a training field, which is supposedly going to have an actual stadium built on it at some point but the project has stalled over and over again and I don't know what the current status is. Secondly and more importantly RL has a ridiculously low profile in Sheffield, I'd say that probably 90-95% of the population would have either not heard of RL or not know anything about it or be able to differentiate it from RU, which seems crazy when you consider it's only about 30 minutes drive from places like Featherstone but that's the way it is in the UK. It's the same with other big Northern cities like Liverpool and Manchester. There have been one or two decent junior clubs in Sheffield which have produced pro players and people have worked hard there for a lot of years, but there really is just no RL culture at all.

York is a much smaller place and, as the above poster said, doesn't really have any sporting culture or tradition at all. But in terms of off-field stuff they would be ahead of Sheffield, they get decent crowds, their new stadium should be opened later this year (although would not really be big enough for SL) and there's also a bit more of a RL presence with at least 3 or 4 pretty strong amateur teams. I wouldn't really consider them to be an expansion team whereas Sheffield definitely still would be, even after being in existence for 30+ years.
The capacity of york’s New stadium will be just over 8,000 which would be more than enough considering teams like Huddersfield, London, Wakefield and Salford average crowds are well below that and teams like castleford, hull kr and Catalan are around or just over 8,000. Plus I’m sure there’s scope for expanding the capacity by a few thousand.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Would Sheffield or York bring more benefit to the SL if one was to earn promotion?
York is in a better position to do so compared to Sheffield in terms of having a better stadium, bigger crowds and more amateur/junior RL clubs within the city.

Latest posts