What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
Who we should be talking to is Val Holmes just in case his NFL career doesn't eventuate. Him at fullback and Gutho in the centres would make us a vastly improved side. And the big plus is that he can come into the side at any time of the year, no 30 June deadline for him.

Gronk

Staff member
Who we should be talking to is Val Holmes just in case his NFL career doesn't eventuate. Him at fullback and Gutho in the centres would make us a vastly improved side. And the big plus is that he can come into the side at any time of the year, no 30 June deadline for him.

Sharks have first dibs. Then Nth Qld have left their 30th man slot open and a heap of cash.

We have no chance.

Also, he's not an NRL player anymore, so the June 30 thing might not apply (?).

Bazal

Post Whore
Sharks have first dibs. Then Nth Qld have left their 30th man slot open and a heap of cash.

We have no chance.

Also he's just run a quick 40m time and been added to the international squad or whatever it was I saw pop up on FB.

He's progressing somewhat and the NRL will the absolute last thing on his mind. Especially a club that isn't the Sharks or the Cowboys

Further also, why should we want a 750k+ winger???

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I don't understand the fascination with moving Gutho to the centres. So far this year he's topping the "playmaking" stats, on par with Keary for try assists + line break assists. He's 4th for running metres. Constantly backs up when there's a line break. Plays well both sides of the field. We give our wingers an opportunity to drift over to the other side of the field when a play is called but our centres generally stay on their side.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't understand the fascination with moving Gutho to the centres. So far this year he's topping the "playmaking" stats, on par with Keary for try assists + line break assists. He's 4th for running metres. Constantly backs up when there's a line break. Plays well both sides of the field. We give our wingers an opportunity to drift over to the other side of the field when a play is called but our centres generally stay on their side.

I do think he'd be a good centre. His skills definitely fit the role.

But I wouldn't be moving him for Valentine fking Holmes. Gutho has developed a genuine passing game, those balls to Sivo on the weekend were as good as any of the halves we've had in recent years. Maybe better. He can stay at fullback unless we decided to sign a genuine star there.

And there's no reason Gutho can't develop into a top level fullback so I'm not sure why we'd do that unless we couldn't get a quality centre to replace Jennings or something

hindy111

Post Whore
Sharks wouldn't be that stupid. Penrith already into year 20 of Gus's 5 year plan.

Like I have said before they made finals what 4 of last 5 yrs.
SK come with a 5yr plan in 2011...In 8 yrs we made finals once and collected 3 wooden spoons or was it 4?
I think the Dukes plan went smoother tbh.

hindy111

Post Whore

I looked at fullbacks in NRL.
Bar Turbo,Teddy,Rts,Ponga who would you swap him for?
Moylan maybe but prob not? The rest I would day no

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
SK come with a 5yr plan in 2011...In 8 yrs we made finals once and collected 3 wooden spoons or was it 4?
Our plan changed every couple of years because a couple hundred dopey f**king leagues club voters own the club.

Gronk

Staff member
I looked at fullbacks in NRL.
Bar Turbo,Teddy,Rts,Ponga who would you swap him for?
Moylan maybe but prob not? The rest I would day no
He doesn't have the line breaks in him like those top 4 merkins, but he brings enthusiasm and money balls. Gutho will never die wondering.

Delboy

First Grade

We have no chance.

Yeah, well how could the Sharks sign him when they should have released players, still waiting for that to happen. No doubt he's Cowgirls bound if the NFL experiment fails

hindy111

Post Whore
He doesn't have the line breaks in him like those top 4 merkins, but he brings enthusiasm and money balls. Gutho will never die wondering.

There just is not anyone better then Gutho bar those 4. And they'd all cost 1 million or close.

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah, well how could the Sharks sign him when they should have released players, still waiting for that to happen. No doubt he's Cowgirls bound if the NFL experiment fails

PKent said on Matty John's podcast that Val's girlfriend has already moved to Townsville. He also said that he's not going to play NFL for peanuts and will knock back rookie min wage train-on offers.

Bazal

Post Whore

I don't agree that he doesn't have the LBs that those guys do.

I just think that he's more of a classic fullback whose LBs will come from support play and broken play running. Rather than some of the 347kg modern fullbacks who can squash merkins.

Ponga is actually probably a good comparison for purely linebreak ability, both need to use skill or speed rather than flat our power like TurboBrah or RTS or Teddy

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Really? I think as GM Gus may have had a bit more freedom to implement his plan compared to coach SK.....

Latest posts