What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Media Romances

Wittenberg

Juniors
Sorry guys but I am finding the channel 9 commentary of the Roosters versus Broncos game sickening. Andrew Johns loves the Roosters and is so biased in his call. Filter is the same. Mitchell’s missed tackles and grub shots with his elbows are never mentioned. You cannot go anywhere near Cronk without the commentators claiming he is being targeted, and while one of the hits on him was blatantly late, Johns’ reaction was so emotional. The commentators basically have Pangi suspended. Next year when the Bronco is playing for theRoosters they will give him more latitude.
While it is hard no doubt to be unbiased in your call as a commentator, some effort should be made. There was no effort made tonight.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Have no problem with Johns' emotional reaction to that Cronk hit.

Johns is currently suffering from epilepsy and seizures as a result of his hits during his playing days. When he sees a dog shot like that on a fellow halfback it no doubt hits close to home.

He does it for all late hits on halves no matter the game he calls.

Also usually it's Broncos getting the bias in the Ch 9 box

BLM01

First Grade
Sorry guys but I am finding the channel 9 commentary of the Roosters versus Broncos game sickening. Andrew Johns loves the Roosters and is so biased in his call. Filter is the same. Mitchell’s missed tackles and grub shots with his elbows are never mentioned. You cannot go anywhere near Cronk without the commentators claiming he is being targeted, and while one of the hits on him was blatantly late, Johns’ reaction was so emotional. The commentators basically have Pangi suspended. Next year when the Bronco is playing for theRoosters they will give him more latitude.
While it is hard no doubt to be unbiased in your call as a commentator, some effort should be made. There was no effort made tonight.
Welcome to the rugby league media that run and are the most influential decision makers in the game.
Every 1 good game by somebody, anybody young becomes an automatic superstar as spoken by the 8th as he calls himself.
Not sure why they brought back Fatty to the commentary..but anyway.
There bias and outrage re the refs doing their job last year which did not favour the wrestle teams changed the course of the comp. Not the reason for the Dragons demise though

Wittenberg

Juniors
Agree with your comments BLMO1. Refs may make blues with individual games but they seldom cause a drop down of a side. I do think however that a top side often gets more rub of the green and well known players get a little more leeway.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Have no problem with Johns' emotional reaction to that Cronk hit.

Johns is currently suffering from epilepsy and seizures as a result of his hits during his playing days. When he sees a dog shot like that on a fellow halfback it no doubt hits close to home.

He does it for all late hits on halves no matter the game he calls.

Also usually it's Broncos getting the bias in the Ch 9 box

Accept the point re epilepsy, especially since I have suffered with it for 15 years. I’ll cut him some slack. I think the Broncos might get bias but few get the talk up the chooks do. Maybe they are just that good.

possm

Coach

Thankfully no matter which teams are playing and which team we follow, the players don't have to listen or take notice of these bias fools so it does not effect the players until after they view the replay.

Old Timer

Coach
No doubt some of it has bias but some of it is downright sickening.
If Dufty fires he will be a pin up boy no doubt.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
My TV failed just before last nights kick-off. I rushed home from work hoping to listen to some biased commentary, but it was not to be.

BLM01

First Grade
So long as I don't have to listen to Andrew Voss I'm happy.
Cant stand the over emphasis on every play.
I like when Channel 9 do it and whilst play is still going on the put that in a little screen in the corner and hard to watch while they keep w....ing on about a previous play.
But really the Channel 9 commentary and after shows are mostly like a weekly pub catch up talk fest with mates. Ok for them. I think we get it by now that Joey has what you would call a naughty and alto ego side to him as they keep hinting on about that.
I will say however I think Slater as much as he was a media darl when playing is pretty inciteful to listen too when he is commenting on the actual game.
The caller is OK too in lieu of Rabs and Hadley these days.
JT not so much as has to be fed stuff to ask or answer.and has not grown on me yet.
Freddy and Joey are weird but know their stuff when actually not trying to be funny and reminiscing making smart comments about players or anything else but the game.

Belta

Juniors
After seeing the Cighton try awarded, I instantly thought if it was Dragons it would of most likely been ruled a no try.

When the try was awarded I knew 100% that the discussion would be over. It would not be scrutinised.

If in the unlikely event the Dragons were awarded a try under the same circumstances we would of seen a thousand replays and astonished commentators not understanding how it could possibly be awarded when the player himself gives himself up.

Just my biased red V take

Crush

Coach
Unless of course you get Anasta commentating our game. I yell more at him than I do at the team. My wife often asks my why I talk to the commentators. My reply is always "because they're dickheads".

I also call Anasta "Captain Obvious".
Yes we all have our favourites and those we despise.
I can't stand Darren Lockyer myself.
Braith I'm OK with. Love Gasnier. And actually really enjoy Andrew Voss calling now.
Really like Mick Ennis and, although he hates the dragons, Brandy Alexander offers some good insight.
Fox guys come across as intelligent for the most part. Channel 9 are just a bunch of ex-footballers that were great players but horrible commentators ie Joey, Freddy, Lockyer.....

possm

Coach
I'd rather the commentators vent their adverse comments towards the coach and his favourite players.

kit66

Bench
The hit was late and deliberate sure but a " dog act " ?
You listen to ch9 you can't expect too much in the way of professional commentary. Most of the ex players should save their opinions for half time or short comments in stoppage time and let the real game callers do their stuff while the play is on.
I was pissed off that for the 10 minutes following that they stopped calling the game, in fact most games they spend too much time talking sh*t instead of calling the game.

As for bias, it happens with most call teams in most games but yeah ch 9 are among the worst, again mostly the ex players and their love affair with the shiny teams and players.