What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Knights

ALSGI

Bench
Hey ALSGI, I agree mate.
He seemed relaxed and articulate in that interview.
I am feeling pretty confident we can win the next few and come back into top 4 contention.
Hey Crusher,

Hope you’re right mate.

Knights will be tough away up there tomorrow, then we have Bulldogs and Manly at home so we should be looking good when we play my favourite game of the year on Anzac Day.

Go Dragons!

getsmarty

Immortal
aitkene-190321444.jpg

DRAGONS

Lomax challenge drives Aitken's early-season form
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 6 Apr 2019, 10:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Euan Aitken has credited his rivalry with Zac Lomax for St George Illawarra's right centre spot as motivation for him replicating the form that catapulted him into representative contention last year.

Aitken was under consideration for State of Origin honours in 2018 but feared he may lose his starting position this year after the emergence of Lomax during the 2018 finals.

However, the 23-year-old overcame the pre-season challenge from Lomax and has taken on the added responsibility of helping Ben Hunt to organise St George Illawarra’s new-look right-edge defence.

"A lot of people probably thought I wasn't going to start round one, to be honest," Aitken said. "That's the mentality I had to the start of my pre-season.

"I didn't finish the year in the squad, playing footy, so as far as I was concerned he was starting ahead of me and it gave me really good motivation for the pre-season to rip in and really put my best foot forward.

"I ended up getting that starting spot in round one and it gave me a lot of confidence to keep building on that."

Knights v Dragons - Round 4

Lomax was initially viewed by St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor as a winger but his approach to the battle with Aitken has resulted in him earning the bench utility role for Sunday night's clash with Newcastle after Matt Dufty's elevation to fullback in place of injured captain Gareth Widdop.

lomaxz-celeb-190328700-sd.jpg

Dragons utility back Zac Lomax. :copyright:Scott Davis/NRL Photos
Aitken was the Dragons' player of the match in the opening-round loss to North Queensland and he finished on top in a personal duel with Jack Bird during last week's 25-24 win over Brisbane.

With inexperienced second-rower Jacob Host defending on his inside and rookie Fijian winger Mikaeale Ravalawa outside him, Aitken is a senior member of St George Illawarra's right edge.

"Hunty has obviously got a lot more years on me but I am second in charge in a way," Aitken said. "This is my fifth season and I have got to take a bit of ownership to help him in defence.

"I feel really confident with those two blokes [Host and Ravalawa] on my edge. The combination with Mika is going really well. I am really enjoying playing with him, he is strong and I love the way he starts our sets.

"He is still learning, I think he has only been playing footy for three years so it is crazy when you consider that and he is only 21 so he is a young kid learning the trade."

Dragons hopeful Frizell will return against Knights

McGregor said Aitken had earned his place with his form last season and the way he performed in the pre-season.

"I don't think he was under pressure but there is a person in the club who is a very good player and he is a right centre as well," McGregor said in reference to Lomax.

"The way they went about their training in the pre-season gave them both a good opportunity to play round one and Euan trialled better so he got the first shot at it."

Lomax will play off the interchange as cover for any of the outside backs but he could also be used in the back row or at lock.

"I am pretty similar to Kurt Mann's role that he had last year," Lomax said. "I will play off the bench and if someone goes down in the backs I will just jump on wherever best suits the team so I have got to be ready to go on any minute.

"Obviously I have trained mostly at centre and a little bit of wing and fullback but I am happy to play any position on the field."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/06/lomax-challenge-drives-aitkens-early-season-form/

getsmarty

Immortal
frizellt-injury-190316701-sd.jpg

DRAGONS

Frizell set for remarkable recovery from lacerated testicle
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 6 Apr 2019, 03:16 PM
walshdan-head.png

Tyson Frizell will make a remarkable return for the Dragons just three weeks after undergoing surgery on a lacerated testicle against the Knights on Sunday evening.

Frizell emerged unscathed from St George Illawarra's captain's run on Saturday and will come from the extended reserves list into Paul McGregor's game day 17.

The NSW Origin and Kangaroos back-rower is expected to come onto the bench in place of youngster Luciano Leilua given Jacob Host has performed well in the starting line-up.

Frizell had been initially slated for a 4-6 week layoff when he reeled out of a tackle on North Queensland's Jordan Kahu in round one. Surgery was required.

Knights v Dragons - Round 4

His return is a significant boost for the Dragons given they are still without NSW team-mate Jack de Belin, stood down by the NRL until his next court appearance on sexual assault charges on April 17.

Korbin Sims and Blake Lawrie are tipped to rotate in the middle, allowing Frizell to switch back to his usual right edge having covered de Belin at lock in the season opener.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/06/frizell-set-for-remarkable-recovery-from-lacerated-testicle/

getsmarty

Immortal
24-hour warning: Round 4 v Newcastle Knights
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 6 Apr 2019, 06:02 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has amended his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Round 4 clash against the Newcastle Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday, April 7.

Luciano Leilua and Jonus Pearson are the two players to drop out of the initial squad named on Tuesday.

Tyson Frizell has been promoted from the reserves into the 17 as a result of Leilua's omission; a positive sign the New South Wales and Australian representative will play his first game since Round 1 after suffering a lacerated testicle.

NRL squad for Round 4 v Newcastle Knights -

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by SMAI
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham (c) – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Jacob Host – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
15. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group
16. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
18. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Domus Lighting
19. Mitch Allgood
20. Jai Field

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/06/24-hour-warning-round-4-v-newcastle-knights/

Crush

Coach
Great news that Friz is back.
We really do have a great forward pack.
I'm loving the Sims bros already this year.
Glad to see Leilua drop out, hes a liability with errors and defense.

Crush

Coach
I remember when they used to give the score updates around the grounds over the speakers & the crowd used to cheer or boo.
I had forgotten about that but do clearly remember being at games live and them announcing scores in other games.
Was there Friday night footy in the 80s?
Or was it all played on Saturdays and sundays?

Glenn012

Juniors
I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but our pack is so good, given the salary cap I can't understand it. Well, given Woolongong is much cheaper, I can but it's awesome all the same.
Graham, an English international and one of their best even if he is getting on in years.
Vaughan, NSW rep. I was in awe of his athleticism in the last 10 min against the Donkeys.
McInnes, pretty much everyone considers him second in line for NSW and Aus.
Frizz, NSW and Aus backrower.
Simms, NSW backrower and probably the form backrower of the competition.
JDB, NSW rep and he will be back soon. His human rights will be recognized. Would be nice if the club backed him. Just to show its principles in following the rule of law. He has maybe been our best over the last 3 or 4 years.

Bench

Simms, prob be selected for QLD this year.
Lawrie, doesn't have the same impact but against the Donkeys the guy was on for about 70min and never stopped. Never slowed down. Embarrassed the Donkey's much hyped forwards.
Host, has taken his game to another level.
Leilua, has some issues with ball control and defence but has massive potential upside.

None of those 4 should not be in an NRL team but with JDB back and no injuries at least one will make way for Robson or Lomax.

This is a team McGregor should have vying for the premiership with the Rorters and maybe Souffs. I think it's should be one of those 3. After watching Souffs today, I'm thinking it should be out of us and the Rorters.

Gardenia

Juniors
JDB, NSW rep and he will be back soon. His human rights will be recognized. Would be nice if the club backed him. Just to show its principles in following the rule of law. He has maybe been our best over the last 3 or 4 years.

Hate to be cynical but human rights aren’t exactly in vogue ATM. Ask Julian

SnowDragon

Juniors

Have to agree with you that Luc is out of form atm. He finished so well last year I really expected him to come on, maybe overtrained? Or nervous? A few weeks in reserves will hopefully get him firing. Love to see him or Kerr push Lats out of the 17 on merit.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but our pack is so good, given the salary cap I can't understand it. Well, given Woolongong is much cheaper, I can but it's awesome all the same.
Graham, an English international and one of their best even if he is getting on in years.
Vaughan, NSW rep. I was in awe of his athleticism in the last 10 min against the Donkeys.
McInnes, pretty much everyone considers him second in line for NSW and Aus.
Frizz, NSW and Aus backrower.
Simms, NSW backrower and probably the form backrower of the competition.

Bench

Simms, prob be selected for QLD this year.
Lawrie, doesn't have the same impact but against the Donkeys the guy was on for about 70min and never stopped. Never slowed down. Embarrassed the Donkey's much hyped forwards.
Host, has taken his game to another level.
Leilua, has some issues with ball control and defence but has massive potential upside.

None of those 4 should not be in an NRL team but with JDB back and no injuries at least one will make way for Robson or Lomax.

This is a team McGregor should have vying for the premiership with the Rorters and maybe Souffs. I think it's should be one of those 3. After watching Souffs today, I'm thinking it should be out of us and the Rorters.
I said before the comp started that I thought we had the second best roster in the comp behind Easts. (that is if I picked our team)

Glenn012

Juniors
Hate to be cynical but human rights aren’t exactly in vogue ATM. Ask Julian
In the field of geo-politics and journalism related to that, only someone willing deluding him or herself could believe human rights and the rule of law matters. In the field of the the NRL, I hope it still matters and we get JDB back soon.

Brutalitops

Juniors
No more than one game played at a time so we can watch and bet on every single game live. How many of us want to watch every f**kcing game? f**kcing idiots are treating us like idiots.
Err I think you'll find multiple games being played at the exact same moment was pretty unpopular.

possm

Coach
Can't agree mate.
All the games being played at the same time made it really exciting during a game, especially when watching our team play.

Viewer choice is the answer. If Fox Sports or indeed Channel 9 telecasted games scheduled to be played at the same time on different channels then the fans could choose which to watch live and which to watch recorded. The NRL clowns in charge of negotiating broadcasting rights and deals, should have included this precise idea in there offerings.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I like to watch all games. Conflicting games was a massive pain in the ass, the worst of which being that horrid Friday night clash. Anecdotally I've found most people I know and other online communities to hold the same stance, and I'm pretty confident more would be in favour of keeping it rather than reverting among all NRL fans

I feel this is one of those generational differences I suppose. Definitely the younger fans tend to skew in favour of separate matches, while I do know a few older fans who want "around the ground" style coverage.

Latest posts