What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Knights

BLM01

First Grade
The win is a relief more than anyone else. Minus a few bad calls, most notably Normans "forward" pass, a few simple errors, maybe a lack of patience in general and poor Euan being forced to mark the oppositions invisible man, and we win that game by 20-30 points. We were so much better than them for most of the game.
I dunno about that. Newcastle had most of the field position and look more dangerous in the 1st half. And hardly made an error all night...especially I did not see one in the 1st half except a penalty given.

My comments on the game are a repeat and rinse off last week almost.
1. Without Norman we dont win those tight games. Thought Norman played better than Hunt but Hunt's kicking gane settlers were good except when he was trying for a 40/20 in extra time.
2. A win is great and hats off to them
3. But if we are not trying to go through them with boring easy to defend 1 out in the middle plays with little support we throw it out wide to try and go around em. Just wish we would try and find holes round the middle or edges like other side do with Frizz, T Sims or Dufty off their hips....or 2nd phase t the line. Did we have 1 forward that created 2nd phase last night?...F....Mary and his game plan
4. Aitken to bench to cover lock and backs. Lomax to 3 and goal kicker
5. Are we the worst side to make yardage out of our end?...Maaarrrryyyyyy!

Positive side Vaughan, Frizz and Norman our best. Had Lafai there but he bombed that try. McInnes as usual up there.
We need to keep opposition middles guessing to beat the Dogs on what I have seen of them past 2 weeks.

Wittenberg

Juniors
The usual rumour is doing the rounds that Pangai is going to the Roosters because of the huge money they will have at their disposal when Cronk retires. ......but I seem to remember us being give the line that Cronk went to the Roosters for less money than he could have got elsewhere just to play for such a club......yawn. Alex Glenn is no Hess but he is a good solid player.

possm

Coach
I found it very interesting that he said Lomax is there for an injury to a back or for poor form. I reckon today is a make or break game for Ravawala. If he stinks it up he may be replaced by Lomax mid game.
McGregor would only have been talking about Rava when he referred to form as he has complete trust in Aitken and Lafai's form.

Crush, Lomax is a right centre or fullback, not a right winger. After the first two tries scored down our right edge by Newcastle, Mary should have replaced Aitken. Rava scored when Hunt gave him a crisp and direct pass - something that Aitken has never done.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I had forgotten about that but do clearly remember being at games live and them announcing scores in other games.
Was there Friday night footy in the 80s?
Or was it all played on Saturdays and sundays?
It used to be only on Saturday and Sunday. Back then most players had day jobs. The main exceptions being the occasional Monday holiday or Anzac day and of course the Amco Cup that was played on a Wednesday night.

IMO it was a golden period for Rugby League supporters. You were guaranteed a home game every second weekend, and always played during the day. It was ordered in such a way so that fans could plan their whole year ahead if need be.

Of course it was popular.

And btw, before any of us were born, games were usually played on Saturdays and never on Sundays, presumably because everyone was supposed to be in church. This was the norm since 1908 and remained that way for decades. There was one Sunday game during WW2 but Sunday games only started becoming more regular in the mid-1950s.

(Note: Talking specifically about the old Sydney / NSWRL comp)

kit66

Bench
We have been offered Alex Glenn from Brisbane next year according to a few rumour floating around. He's a good player

Good player, seasoned and tough. Jackson Ford should be ready for 1sts by then as well so our 2nd row stocks should be OK. - Friz, T.Sims, Host, Leilua, Ford and possibly Glenn.
It's our prop rotation this year that I'm more concerned about though.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Crush, Lomax is a right centre or fullback, not a right winger. After the first two tries scored down our right edge by Newcastle, Mary should have replaced Aitken. Rava scored when Hunt gave him a crisp and direct pass - something that Aitken has never done.

No TA since 2017 in fact

Dragonslayer

First Grade
One thing thats gone a little unnoticed was the contribution made by Periera yesterday.
After watching the game and replay abd checking his stats for the game, geez he made some very important 1%'s
Ran for 189 metres (2nd to Vaughan)
51 pcm (2nd to Vaughan)
6 tackle breaks (=1st with Lafai)
24 play the ball (more than any other)
4 dummy half runs (more than any other)
0 errors
Missed 1 tackle
Had a fair try disallowed

JP gets the job done, just the little things that aren't flashy or limelight stuff but his contribution to the win yesterday cant be denied.

Well done JP

BestHookerRein

Juniors
A truely professional performance, and handy to have Corey ‘Clutch’ Norman in the side..... Gareth Who?!?!?

M I RITE,BOYZ?!?!??

Old Timer

Coach
A truely professional performance, and handy to have Corey ‘Clutch’ Norman in the side..... Gareth Who?!?!?

M I RITE,BOYZ?!?!??
In simple terms NO you are not right.
Norman thus far in his St GI career has seen us have 2 x 1 point wins and 2 losses.
Get back to us when he has secured some victories of the monumental size that Widdop has done over the years especially against very good sides not mediocre ones.
Is it good that Norman got the clutch moment done yes it is but to dismiss Widdop's contribution so arrogantly is bewildering.

It used to be only on Saturday and Sunday. Back then most players had day jobs. The main exceptions being the occasional Monday holiday or Anzac day and of course the Amco Cup that was played on a Wednesday night.

IMO it was a golden period for Rugby League supporters. You were guaranteed a home game every second weekend, and always played during the day. It was ordered in such a way so that fans could plan their whole year ahead if need be.

And btw, before any of us were born, games were usually played on Saturdays and never on Sundays, presumably because everyone was supposed to be in church. This was was the norm since 1908 and remained that way for decades. There was one Sunday game during WW2 but Sunday games only started becoming more regular in the mid-1950s.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Geez I hope Saints can get Alex Glenn asap as in this week. They are running out of troops and seeing Widdop is out, they may have a few dollars spare now. Perfect player with a ton of experience. He will be like the Costigan signing. Add that extra bit of steel to the backrow.

Old Timer

Coach

And btw, before any of us were born, games were usually played on Saturdays and never on Sundays, presumably because everyone was supposed to be in church. This was was the norm since 1908 and remained that way for decades. There was one Sunday game during WW2 but Sunday games only started becoming more regular in the mid-1950s.

In the 60's of course the game of the round was almost always at the SCG on Saturday and the next best game of the round was at the Sports Ground on Sunday.
Ah the days of the 3pm kick off how I miss them.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In the 60's of course the game of the round was almost always at the SCG on Saturday and the next best game of the round was at the Sports Ground on Sunday.
Ah the days of the 3pm kick off how I miss them.
Well we do have a 4pm kickoff next Sunday at Kogarah. Roll up!

Latest posts