What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Suitman

Post Whore
72311-C50-80-C9-44-D7-B7-DD-F939-CD98-EF84.jpg

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
"The BIg House" MIchigan Stadium capacity 116k is built into the ground. Not "underground" as such but built into a big hole. Half the crowd walks down when they enter half walk up.

Not that you’d ever build a stadium like that these days, it was built in the late 20s . No roof and a very shallow gradient, I suspect most of the construction was just earthworks, digging a massive football pitch sized hole and piling up the dirt around it. It also had problems with growing natural grass until they went synthetic due to the pitch’s proximity to the water table. And the seats at the back are worse than ANZ in terms of being miles from the pitch:

Um%20football.jpg

Rooster8

Juniors
Haven't been to Parramatta for yonks.Geez it's a city with those buildings springing up.
Snd having a stadium like that.looks like part of the USA
Meant to be Sydney CBD 2.0 by 2025-2030 and it wouldn't actually be a bad idea. Parra's starting to reverse it's Western Sydney image to become a economic hub. I know most gov organisations such as ATO/ASIC have large hubs out there, as well as large banks and corps having their second headquarters out there too.

Give it a decent transport line with express connections to Western Sydney Airport, and hopefully connect the light rail to the inner west light rail line at Dulwich hill, and it will boom.

adamkungl

Immortal
Meant to be Sydney CBD 2.0 by 2025-2030 and it wouldn't actually be a bad idea. Parra's starting to reverse it's Western Sydney image to become a economic hub. I know most gov organisations such as ATO/ASIC have large hubs out there, as well as large banks and corps having their second headquarters out there too.

Give it a decent transport line with express connections to Western Sydney Airport, and hopefully connect the light rail to the inner west light rail line at Dulwich hill, and it will boom.

Parra/Western Sydney has 2 missing ingredients to becoming a legit city in its own right.

1 - as you've mentioned, a central transport hub with proper connections to all major corners of Sydney. A direct, no-transfers connection to mascot airport, east, and the new airport and south-west are crucial.
Perhaps a metro link to the new north-west line to provide shorter trips to north-west Sydney and Chatswood too.

2 - cultural and tourist attractions. There's bugger all reason for anyone to visit aside from family and work. It's a pleasant enough place to live and bursting with culture for those who go looking, but on the surface there's not much reason for anyone to stop between Newtown and Katoomba.
There's the footy, Wet n Wild, and a new Zoo opening up.
But Parramatta and the surrounding suburbs lack anything resembling a landmark, there aren't museums or galleries of national significance (moving the Powerhouse is not a good solution), and there's little to draw visitors away from the beaches and bars of the east.

The supposed plans for a Wonderland-revival theme park hopefully come through, would give the west a major point of difference from the Sydney's inner city and could rival the Gold Coast for family attractions.

How about an Olympics and Sports museum in Parramatta or Olympic Park?
An expanded theatre, music, and art district near the Parra Riverside?
A Western Sydney history museum, a Museum of Immigration and Multiculturalism?

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Not that you’d ever build a stadium like that these days, it was built in the late 20s . No roof and a very shallow gradient, I suspect most of the construction was just earthworks, digging a massive football pitch sized hole and piling up the dirt around it. It also had problems with growing natural grass until they went synthetic due to the pitch’s proximity to the water table. And the seats at the back are worse than ANZ in terms of being miles from the pitch:

Um%20football.jpg

Pretty common in US stadiums though. They tend to either build domed/retractable roof stadiums that covers the whole ground pitch and all, or they leave it completely open to the elements.

Rooster8

Juniors
Parra/Western Sydney has 2 missing ingredients to becoming a legit city in its own right.

1 - as you've mentioned, a central transport hub with proper connections to all major corners of Sydney. A direct, no-transfers connection to mascot airport, east, and the new airport and south-west are crucial.
Perhaps a metro link to the new north-west line to provide shorter trips to north-west Sydney and Chatswood too.

2 - cultural and tourist attractions. There's bugger all reason for anyone to visit aside from family and work. It's a pleasant enough place to live and bursting with culture for those who go looking, but on the surface there's not much reason for anyone to stop between Newtown and Katoomba.
There's the footy, Wet n Wild, and a new Zoo opening up.
But Parramatta and the surrounding suburbs lack anything resembling a landmark, there aren't museums or galleries of national significance (moving the Powerhouse is not a good solution), and there's little to draw visitors away from the beaches and bars of the east.

The supposed plans for a Wonderland-revival theme park hopefully come through, would give the west a major point of difference from the Sydney's inner city and could rival the Gold Coast for family attractions.

How about an Olympics and Sports museum in Parramatta or Olympic Park?
An expanded theatre, music, and art district near the Parra Riverside?
A Western Sydney history museum, a Museum of Immigration and Multiculturalism?
Could not agree more. Only time i've been to Parra was for footy or family. Would actually be a good idea to move more museums out there. Wasn't there talks to move the powerhouse out there a few years ago? Would also be a smart move to link Parra directly with Olympic park via light rail, rail or ferries, and make the whole area a kind of Aussie sports mecca. Like you said, olympic, sports, history(?) museums. Have Parramatta a hub for ANZ pre games such as pubs etc, the catch the free direct train, ferrie or light rail instead of having to change at a crowded lidcome or catch a $120 30 min cab.

Timbo

Staff member
Could not agree more. Only time i've been to Parra was for footy or family. Would actually be a good idea to move more museums out there. Wasn't there talks to move the powerhouse out there a few years ago? Would also be a smart move to link Parra directly with Olympic park via light rail, rail or ferries, and make the whole area a kind of Aussie sports mecca. Like you said, olympic, sports, history(?) museums. Have Parramatta a hub for ANZ pre games such as pubs etc, the catch the free direct train, ferrie or light rail instead of having to change at a crowded lidcome or catch a $120 30 min cab.

That West Metro really could be a game changer for sports in Sydney.

30,000 seat Bankwest and renovated ANZ with the bottom tier great viewing for club footy, and a 20 minute run on the metro to Parramatta with a stop at Olympic Park?

Imagine knocking off work in the CBD at 5 and being in your seat at OP at 5.40 or Parra at 6?

TheRam

Coach
Anyone remember when Liverpool council had plans to build a 30K+ stadium to bid to be Liverpool FC 2.0 in the A-league? Would be actually an interesting build to see if they'd let league play there. While it's around the Tigers-Dogs territory border, would of been a good way to get dogs out of ANZ.
View attachment 28825

Wow that is an impressive design. I like it a lot. We definitely need stadium roofs in our city and in Canberra. Are there more pictures of that?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That West Metro really could be a game changer for sports in Sydney.

30,000 seat Bankwest and renovated ANZ with the bottom tier great viewing for club footy, and a 20 minute run on the metro to Parramatta with a stop at Olympic Park?

Imagine knocking off work in the CBD at 5 and being in your seat at OP at 5.40 or Parra at 6?
311u3sev-862x383.jpg

Timbo

Staff member

I'd have agreed with you once, but Gladys seems to realize that the main thing that people like about the NSW Coalition is the metric f**ktonne of infrastructure that's been developed under their watch.

I'd be astonished if it's not on the fast track.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'd have agreed with you once, but Gladys seems to realize that the main thing that people like about the NSW Coalition is the metric f**ktonne of infrastructure that's been developed under their watch.

I'd be astonished if it's not on the fast track.
I have no doubt they're planning it and may even deliver it. Whether it delivers the timeframes you refer to is another matter.