What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York and Ottawa

adamkungl

Immortal
Like most I'm pleasantly surprised that the town clubs could actually see the forest for the trees here.
Well done to all who voted in favour. Interesting times ahead. Hopefully full approval from the RFL comes quickly.

We could be on the cusp of a groundbreaking era for Rugby League. Maybe USA RLWC 2025 isn't dead in the water after all?

adamkungl

Immortal
RugbyLeagueHub.com has the full NYC bid document btw.

It's run by Mascord and some other journos and has a small subscription fee via Patreon, if anyone's interested.

adamkungl

Immortal
Some interesting points from various article:

Super League want a 25% cap on overseas teams in the top tier competition, to protect the value of British broadcast deals. Currently this means a max of 3 - forseeably Catalans, Toronto and Toulouse within a few years.
How this would be handled should another foreign team win the Championship is a big question. One obvious way is to expand the comp to 14 teams, another is to use some kind of conference system.

NYC as a non-member RFL club will be asked to provide a significant financial guarantee of some sort.
Ottawa, already holding the Hemel licence and thus a member club, will not.

Both clubs have expressed an aim of growing the grassroots in the USA and Canada via domestic leagues and scouting.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I was thinking about this the other day but with Farah and Benji more than likely finishing up with the Tigers this year but still playing decent footy and looking fit. They would be an ideal duo for one of these teams to pick up for 2 years.

adamkungl

Immortal
I can't get over the potential side effects of this

We could soon have
-A conference style trans-atlantic Super League
-The RLWC 2025 back on the cards
-Player pools developing in North America from professional investment into the USARL and scouting college athletes
- USA and Canada national teams getting a big boost
-NRL teams being lured over for exhibition games

If this goes through and succeeds, it's an absolute game changer for the sport. Enormous.

Pommy

Coach
I was thinking about this the other day but with Farah and Benji more than likely finishing up with the Tigers this year but still playing decent footy and looking fit. They would be an ideal duo for one of these teams to pick up for 2 years.

Eric Perez claimed Ottawa wouldn’t be another Wolfpack so the idea of them signing big names seems unlikely

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Eric Perez claimed Ottawa wouldn’t be another Wolfpack so the idea of them signing big names seems unlikely

I did hear that mentioned somewhere else. I can't see how a team that is not aiming for SL as quickly as possible can be viable and hope to build a sizeable supporter base.

adamkungl

Immortal
I did hear that mentioned somewhere else. I can't see how a team that is not aiming for SL as quickly as possible can be viable and hope to build a sizeable supporter base.

Should have lower costs than the Wolfpack if they take the slow road, but the same quality sponsorships and supporters.
Less big contracts, facilities and staff operating at their level rather than go-big-or-go-home Wolfpack plan.

I think the marketing and game day experience has been more important for the Wolfpack in building crowds than pumping village teams by 60 in year 1.

That said, I'd expect them to build a team around a strong core.
In year 1 Assuming a third tier start, Have a handful of players in key position from 2nd tier, fill out the rest with USA and Canadian rep players League and Union.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Should have lower costs than the Wolfpack if they take the slow road, but the same quality sponsorships and supporters.
Less big contracts, facilities and staff operating at their level rather than go-big-or-go-home Wolfpack plan.

I think the marketing and game day experience has been more important for the Wolfpack in building crowds than pumping village teams by 60 in year 1.

In year 1 Assuming a third tier start, Have a handful of players in key position from 2nd tier, fill out the rest with USA and Canadian rep players League and Union.

Great to hear! A tiny, tiny slice of the North American sports market will make a massive difference to rugby league.

Pommy

Coach

Would the same quality of sponsors really be interested in pouring money in to a lower league team?
I know they have with Wolfpack but this is clearly a different proposition. I trust the people in charge know what they are doing but it sounds like a big ask to me.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
There’s definitely going to have to be some kind of radical change coming in super league soon what with Toulouse and Toronto knocking on the door and New York and Ottawa heading that way in the not to distant future.

Could super league expand to 14 or even 16 teams or split into 2 conferences?

yakstorm

First Grade
Super League want a 25% cap on overseas teams in the top tier competition, to protect the value of British broadcast deals. Currently this means a max of 3 - forseeably Catalans, Toronto and Toulouse within a few years.
How this would be handled should another foreign team win the Championship is a big question. One obvious way is to expand the comp to 14 teams, another is to use some kind of conference system

I doubt there would be an issues from the clubs expanding Super League. Provided they are no financially worse off, they'd possibly accept there being 20+ teams in the top league.

The cut from 14 to 12 a few years ago, whilst they claimed it was about competition 'standards', the reality was it was all about money for the top teams.

As for the clubs voting yes, clearly they realise that these International teams actually help draw crowds and interest to the lower divisions and provide an opportunity for their games to be broadcasted. Toulouse and Toronto did wonders for League One.

Storm13

Juniors
If New York is a success alongside Toronto then Robert Elstone is going to have a good dilemma on his hands. How do these two clubs transform Super League in the future?

London becomes an attractive location for improved investment and the likes of Salford might want to adopt Manchester into their club identity for better brand exposure.

Would like to see Championship be rebranded into something more aligned to Super League.