What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York and Ottawa

Walter sobchak

First Grade
If New York is a success alongside Toronto then Robert Elstone is going to have a good dilemma on his hands. How do these two clubs transform Super League in the future?

London becomes an attractive location for improved investment and the likes of Salford might want to adopt Manchester into their club identity for better brand exposure.

Would like to see Championship be rebranded into something more aligned to Super League.
There really needs to be a conference setup for the North American and French clubs and maybe even London to shield them from relegation.

Storm13

Juniors
There really needs to be a conference setup for the North American and French clubs and maybe even London to shield them from relegation.
Franchise for Super League I think would work with 14 teams. Then setup the two lower leagues as more of a British premier league of promotion and relegation between the two.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Franchise for Super League I think would work with 14 teams. Then setup the two lower leagues as more of a British premier league of promotion and relegation between the two.
It’s all going to get very messy soon if it stays as a 12 team competition.

Pommy

Coach
I don’t disagree with your point for English clubs but the non English clubs are to fragile and would not survive relegation imo.

The English teams are too fragile to suffer it so what’s the difference?
Look at Bradford, Widnes and Leigh. You can’t have a competition with different rules for certain sides

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Bradford fans have a lot invested. If teams want to join I’m all for allowing it and trying to accomodate them but it has to be on the same terms.
Never going to happen because RL is such a minority sport played in small numbers in few countries. These clubs are too crucial in expanding and developing the game.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
They've also had time to get their shit together. Again for me Super League needs to know what it wants to be 2-10 years in the future.
Expand super league to 16 teams over the next 2-5 years allowing all these teams to reach it and then look at some sort of relegation free international conference for the North American, French and London teams with a British based conference complete with promotion and relegation for the likes of Sheffield, York, Widnes and Bradford to reach the big time again.

Pommy

Coach
Never going to happen because RL is such a minority sport played in small numbers in few countries. These clubs are too crucial in expanding and developing the game.

Sorry but what have Toronto actually done to develop the game? They have no juniors they haven’t invested anything in to developing the sport. I’m not anti Toronto despite how this sounds but let’s look at it rationally.

Pommy

Coach
They've also had time to get their shit together. Again for me Super League needs to know what it wants to be 2-10 years in the future.

You have to remember league in England isn’t the same beast it is in australia.
League in England even in the north is a minority sport dwarfed by football and to a lesser extent union.

Storm13

Juniors
Expand super league to 16 teams over the next 2-5 years allowing all these teams to reach it and then look at some sort of relegation free international conference for the North American, French and London teams with a British based conference complete with promotion and relegation for the likes of Sheffield, York, Widnes and Bradford to reach the big time again.
I'd rather a 14 team league with Toronto, NY and Toulouse with Salford becoming Salford-Manchester and dropping a Hull team to get to 14 (my perfect structure). Ottawa kind of put this structure out of wack as I would want the two divisions below to focus on English rugby league. It's a good problem to have.

What's the salary cap for English rugby union teams?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I'd rather a 14 team league with Toronto, NY and Toulouse with Salford becoming Salford-Manchester and dropping a Hull team to get to 14 (my perfect structure). Ottawa kind of put this structure out of wack as I would want the two divisions below to focus on English rugby league. It's a good problem to have.

What's the salary cap for English rugby union teams?
Mate, Salford are never going to move to Manchester and the hull teams will never merge. It’s just not going to happen.

The best solution would be to have teams from Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham etc join league 1 and work their way upto super league pushing the strugglers like Salford and hull kr out of the league on merit.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Sorry but what have Toronto actually done to develop the game? They have no juniors they haven’t invested anything in to developing the sport. I’m not anti Toronto despite how this sounds but let’s look at it rationally.
Nothing as yet but this is only year 3 of the project.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
You have to remember league in England isn’t the same beast it is in australia.
League in England even in the north is a minority sport dwarfed by football and to a lesser extent union.
Exactly. You can travel 15-20 miles in each direction from Wigan and RL is an alien sport in places like Preston, Liverpool and Blackburn etc.

I’d like to see a drive to get RL played at grassroots level in every city and large town in the north of England. From Liverpool to Sunderland and Carlisle to Rotherham.

Pommy

Coach
Exactly. You can travel 15-20 miles in each direction from Wigan and RL is an alien sport in places like Preston, Liverpool and Blackburn etc.

I’d like to see a drive to get RL played at grassroots level in every city and large town in the north of England. From Liverpool to Sunderland and Carlisle to Rotherham.

So why aren’t the investments in the English super league teams worth that of the Ottawa, NY or Toulouse. Let’s remember the French clubs are not expansion sides. Not in terms of RL anyway just in terms of super league.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
So why aren’t the investments in the English super league teams worth that of the Ottawa, NY or Toulouse. Let’s remember the French clubs are not expansion sides. Not in terms of RL anyway just in terms of super league.
Unfortunately towns like castleford, Huddersfield and Salford are considered to be sexy and glamorous.

yakstorm

First Grade

Well if nothing else they brought an aggregate of over 80,000 fans to watch Rugby League in Canada, are adding a fourth game of TV content in the UK which is being watched by 50K+ each week just in the UK, generating numerous articles both in the UK and Canada, attracting sponsorship and investment from groups previously never involved in the game, invested significantly into the Jamaican Rugby League School system, provided venues and support to the Ontario and Canada Rugby League's, sponsored the Raven's Women's team, Brasil Rugby League and invested into the London Skolars.

So you're right, they've done nothing to help develop the game....

Latest posts