What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

perverse

Referee
Devin Townsend - Empath is an absolute triumph. A masterwork by a master craftsman. He somehow fits every damn genre/sound he's ever created in there... and that's just the second song on the album. What's even crazier is how cohesive and logical it seems.

12/10

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
their best album was The Blackening anyway...

Yeah they definitely had a second peak around then (the albums either side of that one were good too). Problem is they’ve had repeated phases of Rob forgetting that what he does best is thrash with a bit of groove thrown in and trying to do rap/nu metal shite.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Devin Townsend - Empath is an absolute triumph. A masterwork by a master craftsman. He somehow fits every damn genre/sound he's ever created in there... and that's just the second song on the album. What's even crazier is how cohesive and logical it seems.

12/10

I'm one of his biggest fans and have everything he has ever done but this lost me, its a bit too far out there and not really heavy at all.

Waited ages for it to be released and such a disappointment

perverse

Referee
I'm one of his biggest fans and have everything he has ever done but this lost me, its a bit too far out there and not really heavy at all.

Waited ages for it to be released and such a disappointment
He's not going to please everyone all the time, I suppose. I'm in the same boat as you re: everything he's ever done, but I love this. It's like a fusion of all of it. There's some of the heaviest stuff he's done since SYL on this album (Hear Me comes immediately to mind)... not that I really even consider "heaviness" when I consider Devin anymore. He's his own genre in my mind.

Again though, such an eclectic arrangement is not going to catch everyone's ear. It may be one of those albums that you come back to at another time with a fresh set of ears or a different frame of mind and suddenly it clicks. Dream Theater's The Astonishing comes immediately to mind as a recent one that was like that for me. I couldn't get into it until they released their new album recently, but I really enjoy large portions of it now (although it is undeniably bloated).

beave

Coach
The start to Imperium is fcking amazing

Speaking of amazing

Yes, I am very erect

f**king f**k f**k f**kitty f**k!!! amazeballs, god I hope they go on with it and make some more music together. That is the sound/style they should never have gone away from,

zombie jesus

Staff member

12/10
Agree with this, took a few listens to get Genesis when it came out, Spirits Will Collide was a bit closer to his recent stuff, easier to digest.

Took me a few listens to get into the album although the back-to-back hit of Hear Me and Why? won me over completely on first listen.

I haven't gone a day without listening to at least half a dozen tracks since it came out, there's some gold among the bonus tracks as well.

beave

Coach
The start to Imperium is fcking amazing

Speaking of amazing

Yes, I am very erect

i have literally watched this video 20 times over the last week. I know McClain is probably a technically better drummer, but you cannot deny the feel Kontos has for this song, I mean he helped create it, I just never felt the same way about Davidian when McClain played it.

So damn good.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
i have literally watched this video 20 times over the last week. I know McClain is probably a technically better drummer, but you cannot deny the feel Kontos has for this song, I mean he helped create it, I just never felt the same way about the Davidian when McClain player it.

So damn good.

Totally agree mate. When Lars couldnt do a section of a Metallica tour in the mid 00s Joey from Slipknot filled in however Dave was their next choice, he is obviously well thought of in the metal community.

People have always referred back to Kontos and wanted him back. Its fairly unusual for a drummer who has only ever played on one major metal album, then basically vanished, to be reverred as he is. Maybe becuase the only work he is known for was a masterpiece, and he missed out on the weird phases MH went through. He just bashes the shit out of the kit.

Still holding out hope they bring the tour down here.

beave

Coach
Totally agree mate. When Lars couldnt do a section of a Metallica tour in the mid 00s Joey from Slipknot filled in however Dave was their next choice, he is obviously well thought of in the metal community.

People have always referred back to Kontos and wanted him back. Its fairly unusual for a drummer who has only ever played on one major metal album, then basically vanished, to be reverred as he is. Maybe becuase the only work he is known for was a masterpiece, and he missed out on the weird phases MH went through. He just bashes the shit out of the kit.

Still holding out hope they bring the tour down here.

The subtle things he does in the song are just superb for mine. The whole album is amazing though, even the next album is very good as well. The Ahrue Luster era is where it went to utter shit.

Don’t know if you’ve seen this, I pretty much played the VHS copy i had to dust in 1995

absolutely love this collaboration

MH have always had a decent following out here, I am praying they man up and come out. I am sure it will be well supported.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The subtle things he does in the song are just superb for mine. The whole album is amazing though, even the next album is very good as well. The Ahrue Luster era is where it went to utter shit.

Don’t know if you’ve seen this, I pretty much played the VHS copy i had to dust in 1995

absolutely love this collaboration

MH have always had a decent following out here, I am praying they man up and come out. I am sure it will be well supported.

I’ve hesrd of it but have never seen/heard it. Cheers will check it out.

I actually really liked The Burning Red, it was a huge change but I thought it worked. Supercharger was total balls though and Through The Ashes was an amazing return to form.

beave

Coach
I’ve hesrd of it but have never seen/heard it. Cheers will check it out.

I actually really liked The Burning Red, it was a huge change but I thought it worked. Supercharger was total balls though and Through The Ashes was an amazing return to form.

Ashes was their last good album. Burning Red has aged pretty poorly hey.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Dragged Into Sunlight just announced tour dates in June, playing in Sydney the day I get back from the USA, with Incantation and Krisiun the following day. No rest of the wicked, haha!

Latest posts