What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 Vs Titans

Panfa

Juniors
Last time cleary was here he made the semis once out of 4 yrs doesn't look like much has changed.

martielang

Bench
I think the idea is to try adding strike to both sides of the field.

But Blake and Kikau together are a combination that give right edges nightmares.

We need to try:

LW - MWZ
LC - Blake
LSR - Kikau

I would look at trying Jed Cartwright at right centre. I was hyped for Whare returning to form this year. But he's clearly never going to be the same player again. Age + serious injuries years ago mean it's likely all downhill from here for him.

Im not convinced Jed would be any better. Just another example of how bad our depth is. But maybe his size and offload would give us something Whare cannot. Jed is worth a shot atleast.

I can understand it tbh, a strike weapon on each side should make us more dangerous in theory. Just not working in the moment.

I think Jed is too slow to play centre at first grade level. Happy to be proven wrong but.

Wayne Bennett when he 1st got to Souths said 'They were top 4 side last year. So I won't change much just add too it'

Compare that to Ivan's approach. The left was great so why wreck it? Make changes to get the right better

I believe Ivan split up a dangerous attacking edge just to shore up defence
I think the trouble with Ivan is he saw a defensive liability on the left in Maloney and wanted to tinker.
In his eyes the relativity inexperienced Kikau and Blake on the same edge with Maloney, add Mansour who can have a few shocking reads. Spells defensive trouble for us.
He wanted to split them up to solve a perceived defensive problem. Thinking the attack will still be good whoever is on the left or right, but the defensive imbalance on both sides with his changes will now be equally balanced.

He wanted to stiffen the left side defence and came he up with a solution to Maloney's shocking defence by placing him on the right next to Yeo.
Then Kikau came back and he decided he wanted the experienced Whare outside him instead of Blake.
So again he picked defence over attack.
Neither appear to be working well after 5 rounds.

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Looks like people were too quick to praise Ivan Cleary for "dropping" Egan. Turns out he was injured all along. Not playing Reserves this afternoon.

trevcogger

Juniors
says the dumbass coming here acting like a god after their embarassing shithole of a club beats a few average teams
says the dumbass coming here acting like a god after their embarassing shithole of a club beats a few average teams

Winners are grinners....
Nothing to grin about living out Riffster way.
You made your bed signing Chin Snr,so now lay in it.
We NEVER gloat about our side,so you are learning a valuable lesson arnt you?

ashton

Juniors
Ivan is not to blame for everything, he inherited this squad.
Gould and the talent scouts have plenty to answer too......we don't have an NRL standard hooker or fullback in the club, plus the outside backs are very thin. Take a look at the jersey Flagg fullback and hooker, they are both too small IMO to ever play NRL.
Take a look at the top NRL sides they all have big,tall, fast and strong wingers.

franklin2323

Immortal
Ivan is not to blame for everything, he inherited this squad.
Gould and the talent scouts have plenty to answer too......we don't have an NRL standard hooker or fullback in the club, plus the outside backs are very thin. Take a look at the jersey Flagg fullback and hooker, they are both too small IMO to ever play NRL.
Take a look at the top NRL sides they all have big,tall, fast and strong wingers.

Same issues as hook had. General fitness being down. Breaking up the Kikau/Blake is on him

franklin2323

Immortal
I believe Ivan split up a dangerous attacking edge just to shore up defence
I think the trouble with Ivan is he saw a defensive liability on the left in Maloney and wanted to tinker.
In his eyes the relativity inexperienced Kikau and Blake on the same edge with Maloney, add Mansour who can have a few shocking reads. Spells defensive trouble for us.
He wanted to split them up to solve a perceived defensive problem. Thinking the attack will still be good whoever is on the left or right, but the defensive imbalance on both sides with his changes will now be equally balanced.

He wanted to stiffen the left side defence and came he up with a solution to Maloney's shocking defence by placing him on the right next to Yeo.
Then Kikau came back and he decided he wanted the experienced Whare outside him instead of Blake.
So again he picked defence over attack.
Neither appear to be working well after 5 rounds.

Swap the halves. Maloney stands between Yeo/Whare.

Instead or RCG on the left he is on the right as Tamou doesn't rush up.

Fixes defence. Still keeps the attack of Blake/Kikau while working on the right getting better

Latest posts