What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Stallion

First Grade
People giving opinions on TV is not repression.
Old Rupert might not like Rugby League but he likes money more, I don’t think he’s going to actively stop an opportunity to make money.

This dude will and is! Money is no object for such a person. The opinions certainly get taken up by the audience. Mind you some of us can spot it pretty quickly. Wonder if you did!? My prior degree to teaching was Communication studies. I enjoyed a subject called Society and the Media. It helped me identify agendas and bias. Just for your knowledge Pommy. I know it won't make a difference. But the seeds of repression are well and truelly planted in what people see and hear. News Ltd has followed a certain agenda that ultimately keeps this competition /code not too big. I call it CONSTRAINMENT. This constrainment is a form of repression of a code that deserves to be Australia wide and completely dominating the Australian football/sports market.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
This dude will and is! Money is no object for such a person. The opinions certainly get taken up by the audience. Mind you some of us can spot it pretty quickly. Wonder if you did!? My prior degree to teaching was Communication studies. I enjoyed a subject called Society and the Media. It helped me identify agendas and bias. Just for your knowledge Pommy. I know it won't make a difference. But the seeds of repression are well and truelly planted in what people see and hear. News lto has followed a certain agenda that ultimately keeps this competition /code not too big. I call it CONSTRAINMENT. This constrainment is a form of repression of a code that deserves to be Australia wide and completely dominating the Australian football/sports market.

Communication studies? You can’t even write a f**king coherent reply on an online message board.
So they’re repressing it to be the biggest TV sport in Australia? They must be as good at repression as you are communicating.

Stallion

First Grade
Communication studies? You can’t even write a f**king coherent reply on an online message board.
So they’re repressing it to be the biggest TV sport in Australia? They must be as good at repression as you are communicating.

Underachievement in many other sectors should not impress. Your veiled gloat is a poor consolation for ever reducing or low junior and senior male player numbers, poor attendance figures compared to AFL, lack of international relevance of this code and poor cross promotion with demeaning references to the code and name of rugby league in mainstream media. You think the code is going great guns. Others don't.
From a personal view, rugby league has lost much of its relevance in everyday living compared to the 1980 & 90s.I live in Newcastle NSW. Australia. Other codes like soccer have become very popular in schools and I'm still seeing codes like AFL and union doing clinics in local schools and no sight of rugby league at schools so far this term. Mind you I get the students playing leaguetag or original touch football when I can. So poorly targeted development on top of the concerns mentioned to boot! But everything is rosy in your eyes!

ed313909

Juniors
I live in newcastle also and to say AFL is even remotely relevant is completely delusional... oztag, leaguetag and touch are on another level and completely dominate in newcastle. League is the only sport anyone talks about. Soccer, although played by a lot of kids, is barely discussed. I'm somewhat surprised how little the actual interest is in soccer given it is unchallenged in newcastle as a summer sport and how many kids play. I guess times haven't changed that much from when I was a kid in balmain... all kids have a go at soccer and just realise its shite to play compared to other sports so by the time your 12 so you move on...

Stallion

First Grade
I live in newcastle also and to say AFL is even remotely relevant is completely delusional... oztag, leaguetag and touch are on another level and completely dominate in newcastle. League is the only sport anyone talks about. Soccer, although played by a lot of kids, is barely discussed. I'm somewhat surprised how little the actual interest is in soccer given it is unchallenged in newcastle as a summer sport and how many kids play. I guess times haven't changed that much from when I was a kid in balmain... all kids have a go at soccer and just realise its shite to play compared to other sports so by the time your 12 so you move on...

Agree with what you have observed. I'm indicating what I'm seeing in local primary schools. I assume it's to do with teacher preferences. Alot of female teachers in primary schools and AFL has marketed it's code strongly toward female participation. Leaguetag has only started in Newcastle 4 years ago. Oztag has been about for much longer. And Oztag has benefitted from a rugby league development "Leaguetag"gala day push in primary schools over recent years. Kids actually know it exists now! Unfortunately their is no junior competition for tag in Newcastle as we chat. My point is that rugby league is not converting or inviting kids to the code like other codes are doing. No doubt it's a superior sport but it's not out there enough or being put to kids enough in schools or for that matter as a weekend sports option. It needs improving and work!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Intriguing phone conversation: In a recent phone conversation with an elite private school educated real estate salesman I broached the statement to him "Union is dodgy!" A new footy club (rugby league)club:Hamilton Ducks is starting up in the LHRL (Newcastle)local suburban comp and I was mentioning this in the hope this real estate company might be a sponsor. I soon found out that the salesman is a rugby union halfback. I mentioned that it was unfair that no rugby league gets played in elite private schools along with briefly mentioning that Brisbane private schools are now playing rugby league in term 3 as a result of parental complaints that other codes were offered and no rugby league . I reasoned to him that it's a shame that he wasn't given the opportunity to play rugby league at school as it became clear he was private school educated. We soon arranged a meeting date for a free market appraisal of my property. I informed that I would show him some information/articles about the dodgy things union had been doing to rugby league in places all over the world at that meeting. We ended up with him stating "Looking forward to our meeting ". He soon sent a confirmation email informing that someone else would be meeting me for the property appraisal. I'm contemplating emailing some telltale articles to this elite private school educated real estate salesman so he doesn't miss out on the "enlightenment "!

Last edited:

Knownothing

Juniors
This is fantastic stuff, Stallion. A real estate salesman who went to an elite private school? Sounds like his parents wasted their money.

Pommy

Coach
Intriguing phone conversation: In a recent phone conversation with an elite private school educated real estate salesman I broached the statement to him "Union is dodgy!" A new footy club (rugby league)club:Hamilton Ducks is starting up in the LHRL (Newcastle)local suburban comp and I was mentioning this in the hope this real estate company might be a sponsor. I soon found out that the salesman is a rugby union halfback. I mentioned that it was unfair that no rugby league gets played in elite private schools along with briefly mentioning that Brisbane private schools are now playing rugby league in term 3 as a result of parental complaints that other codes were offered and no rugby league . I reasoned to him that it's a shame that he wasn't given the opportunity to play rugby league at school as it became clear he was private school educated. We soon arranged a meeting date for a free market appraisal of my property. I informed that I would show him some information/articles about the dodgy things union had been doing to rugby league in places all over the world at that meeting. We ended up with him stating "Looking forward to our meeting ". He soon sent a confirmation email informing that someone else would be meeting me for the property appraisal. I'm contemplating emailing some telltale articles to this elite private school educated real estate salesman so he doesn't miss out on the "enlightenment "!

He obviously thought you were as bat shit crazy as we all do. No doubt he has organised for the office wanker to take the hit and visit your place.

Stallion

First Grade
Whilst discussing codes of footy watching a newly formed rugby league team play their first home game in suburban Newcastle on Saturday, I was privy to the thinking/ regard of how generation X & Ys regarded codes like AFL. About three young blokes were in conversation. I informed them that when touring with a NSW student rep team that we played AFL for training. I told them it was fun etc. But I also asked these young blokes to reverse the scenario: Meaning would an AFL team ever play rugby league for training. One of the young boys said NO. The others were noticeably quiet. I agreed with the answer and reinforced it by stating "They would get hurt!" The other younger guys mused to themselves and hopefully seen this as a valid observation. From my you point of view I don't think this blatant difference in regard to these codes is emphasized enough in general mainstream conversation. Meanwhile AFL have kids openly espousing it's code as 'tougher'/'harder' (physically speaking) ' than rugby league . Not a good or accurate scenario in regarding rugbyleague in my opinion.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Whilst discussing codes of footy watching a newly formed rugby league team play their first home game in suburban Newcastle on Saturday, I was privy to the thinking/ regard of how generation X & Ys regarded codes like AFL. About three young blokes were in conversation. I informed them that when touring with a NSW student rep team that we played AFL for training. I told them it was fun etc. But I also asked these young blokes to reverse the scenario: Meaning would an AFL team ever play rugby league for training. One of the young boys said NO. The others were noticeably quiet. I agreed with the answer and reinforced it by stating "They would get hurt!" The other younger guys mused to themselves and hopefully seen this as a valid observation. From my you point of view I don't think this blatant difference in regard to these codes is emphasized enough in general mainstream conversation. Meanwhile AFL have kids openly espousing it's code as 'tougher'/'harder' (physically speaking) ' than rugby league . Not a good or accurate scenario in regarding rugbyleague in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing. I love your imaginary interactions with people.

Stallion

First Grade
Thanks for sharing. I love your imaginary interactions with people.

Lol. Anecdotal fact doesn't go far with some on this site. You are consistently one of those untrusting types. So the truth in whatever form (in this case anecdotal reality) is ridiculed. The discourse is less for this untrusting attitude but that's the way it is for some on this site.Not all though. Just some.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Do you usually chat to young boys in parks?