What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Pommy

Coach
Lol. Anecdotal fact doesn't go far with some on this site. You are consistently one of those untrusting types. So the truth in whatever form (in this case anecdotal reality) is ridiculed. The discourse is less for this untrusting attitude but that's the way it is for some on this site.Not all though. Just some.

It just funny how everyone in Newcastle seems to agree with you in these factual incidents. Well except the members on here from Newcastle who think you’re an idiot.

Stallion

First Grade
It just funny how everyone in Newcastle seems to agree with you in these factual incidents. Well except the members on here from Newcastle who think you’re an idiot.

Sweeping generalization Pommy!? Perhaps the same or even worse can be stated for you? To date you have had no (repeat no ) constructive comments on this site. You have clearly an ability for producing snide and lowlife remarks. Not one proactive or progressive idea for rugby league at as yet . Instead misplaced ridicule. Stay in your hole champ. That's your go ! Not mine.

Pommy

Coach
Sweeping generalization Pommy!? Perhaps the same or even worse can be stated for you? To date you have had no (repeat no ) constructive comments on this site. You have clearly an ability for producing snide and lowlife remarks. Not one proactive or progressive idea for rugby league at as yet . Instead misplaced ridicule. Stay in your hole champ. That's your go ! Not mine.

Sweeping generalisation? (correct spelling mr teacher)
Show me one example of where in one of your fictional exchanges someone hasn’t agreed with you?

Stallion

First Grade
Sweeping generalisation? (correct spelling mr teacher)
Show me one example of where in one of your fictional exchanges someone hasn’t agreed with you?

Show me one example of any of my comments that at least one person has not liked or supported a comment. You fool. Picking on me will get you nowhere. But it will waste my time. Maybe a tact from someone whom is insincere with respects to the progress of this code! ? You have proven to be obstructive in the main. Sometimes after laborious discourse we end up agreeing if you care to look at past conversations. So I would suggest you get off the bully tact and contribute proactively in this rugby-league website instead of being a ridiculer of no substance except consistently fueling derision with misplaced insults.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Show me one example of any of my comments that at least one person has not liked or supported a comment. You fool. Picking on me will get you nowhere. But it will waste my time. Maybe a tact from someone whom is insincere with respects to the progress of this code! ? You have proven to be obstructive in the main. Sometimes after laborious discourse we end up agreeing if you care to look at past conversations. So I would suggest you get off the bully tact and contribute proactively in this rugby-league website instead of being a ridiculer of no substance except consistently fueling derision with misplaced insults.

Never gets old.

Stallion

First Grade
Another interesting aspect letting down rugby league was deleted as innapropriate in the crowd thread (fair enough) so I'll share the information in this thread. Another contributor and myself were complimenting the way Penrith Leagues promote/display their respect and admiration for their footy team. Things like massive portraits of the first grade squad highly visible in the entrance foyer of this club etc. As a comparison my local district Leagues club has no such photos prominently displayed at all. In fact their is an obscure , out of the way, glass cabinet that shows photos and trophies of 3 sports : rugby league, cricket and soccer. Despite this club being a Leagues club and being first grade premiers in 2016 & 2018,no photos of the winning teams are shown in the entrance area of this club. The resident functions manager has intimated she doesn't see the merit in having people know that it's a rugby league club.The general manager(an ex player) is not proactive or outwardly supportive in having the players/fans patronize the club on a Saturday night as much as possible. This is dissapointing for both the players and the code in this foundation Newcastle club. So even at local club level repression of the code exists.

Pommy

Coach
Another interesting aspect letting down rugby league was deleted as innapropriate in the crowd thread (fair enough) so I'll share the information in this thread. Another contributor and myself were complimenting the way Penrith Leagues promote/display their respect and admiration for their footy team. Things like massive portraits of the first grade squad highly visible in the entrance foyer of this club etc. As a comparison my local district Leagues club has no such photos prominently displayed at all. In fact their is an obscure , out of the way, glass cabinet that shows photos and trophies of 3 sports : rugby league, cricket and soccer. Despite this club being a Leagues club and being first grade premiers in 2016 & 2018,no photos of the winning teams are shown in the entrance area of this club. The resident functions manager has intimated she doesn't see the merit in having people know that it's a rugby league club.The general manager(an ex player) is not proactive or outwardly supportive in having the players/fans patronize the club on a Saturday night as much as possible. This is dissapointing for both the players and the code in this foundation Newcastle club. So even at local club level repression of the code exists.

That’s not repression.

Stallion

First Grade
That’s not repression.

It's a form of repression. When an example of a proactive supportive club exists compared to a club that doesn't show such support it has a pervasive effect on the code. In this case at local district level.

Pommy

Coach
It's a form of repression. When an example of a proactive supportive club exists compared to a club that doesn't show such support it has a pervasive effect on the code. In this case at local district level.

No it isn’t, you can say it’s plenty of other things but it’s not repression.

Stallion

First Grade
No it isn’t, you can say it’s plenty of other things but it’s not repression.

I see your point. I think it does hold up as far as " information and discussion " matters. It is surely something that is inhibiting local rugby league presence and morale within a club. Perhaps at a lower level it has some bearing. But I can see its an internal concern. Still worth discussing.

Pommy

Coach
I see your point. I think it does hold up as far as " information and discussion " matters. It is surely something that is inhibiting local rugby league presence and morale within a club. Perhaps at a lower level it has some bearing. But I can see its an internal concern. Still worth discussing.

It’s certainly shit. I would disagree it’s worth discussing here if you’re that upset about it speak to the clubs management rather than discussing it here with people who don’t live in the area and can have no impact on the situation.

Stallion

First Grade
It’s certainly shit. I would disagree it’s worth discussing here if you’re that upset about it speak to the clubs management rather than discussing it here with people who don’t live in the area and can have no impact on the situation.

Think it's worth informing of. It shows what can happen at the local level. Comparing it to the well run Leagues club of Penrith brings a valid perspective as far as comparing scenarios is concerned. One being supportive and the other being not so supportive. Glad you think the local scenario" stinks". Your comment suggests it's worth the mention.

Pommy

Coach
Think it's worth informing of. It shows what can happen at the local level. Comparing it to the well run Leagues club of Penrith brings a valid perspective as far as comparing scenarios is concerned. One being supportive and the other being not so supportive. Glad you think the local scenario" stinks". Your comment suggests it's worth the mention.

Have you been and complained in person and done something worthwhile about it?
If not this conversation is utterly futile.

Stallion

First Grade
Have you been and complained in person and done something worthwhile about it?
If not this conversation is utterly futile.

I have quizzed the functions manager if you read the information. I have been appointed the home games promotions officer of this club about five years ago. My first year was very successfull (financially)with the majority of games played on a Saturday . Unfortunately it appeared the executive were taking notice however the machinations of the draw on following seasons conspired against the playing of a number of Saturdays due to them being scheduled during the representative period. This defaulted about two or three Saturday games to Sundays. A number of the executive are still thinking in a 70s mentality which has remained to this day despite Saturday games proving lucrative and socially acceptable. Perhaps it's suits their lifestyle? They(the executive) are not young men, so it's not an issue for these people I suggest. It's dissapointing but true. Last year I withdrew my efforts at this club to a more minor role due to personal circumstance along with some frustration. Meanwhile the Saturday playing rugby union club is going from strength to strength to an extent where they have been a major funder of an upgraded grandstand amenities/function area in which they will be charging other tenants(including rugby league ) for its use into the future.

Last edited:

ULYSSES

Juniors
You have to love the Gelding.....In his first year the draw favoured his club and he took the accolades. the next few years things returned to normal and the saviour was missing.(surprise surprise...those that can DO, those that can't TEACH.

Stallion

First Grade
You have to love the Gelding.....In his first year the draw favoured his club and he took the accolades. the next few years things returned to normal and the saviour was missing.(surprise surprise...those that can be DO, those that can't TEACH.

Puzzling response! ? If you happen to be discussing local league the initial input of the draw by each club is crucial. The local club involved has historical rights to their home ground. So a draw can have all Saturday game day requests and is likely to be accepted. Unfortunately this has not happened with various games allocated during the representative season. A "freshman" like myself was not aware of the vagrancies of the local league set up and frustration with disappointment figured . The fact was this club won the grandfinal that enabled a "just in the black " result financially in 2016 with only 3 Saturday home games realised from an originally planned 6 Saturday games at season start.

ULYSSES

Juniors
Puzzling response! ? If you happen to be discussing local league the initial input of the draw by each club is crucial. The local club involved has historical rights to their home ground. So a draw can have all Saturday game day requests and is likely to be accepted. Unfortunately this has not happened with various games allocated during the representative season. A "freshman" like myself was not aware of the vagrancies of the local league set up and frustration with disappointment figured . The fact was this club won the grandfinal that enabled a "just in the black " result financially in 2016 with only 3 Saturday home games realised from an originally planned 6 Saturday games at season start.

Puzzling response you say. Well I am puzzled by your statement concerning the "VAGRANCIES of the local league". By definition a vagrant cannot be local, it has no home and wanders from place to place without working. I think the word you should have used is 'vagaries'. You did say you were a teacher?

Stallion

First Grade
Puzzling response you say. Well I am puzzled by your statement concerning the "VAGRANCIES of the local league". By definition a vagrant cannot be local, it has no home and wanders from place to place without working. I think the word you should have used is 'vagaries'. You did say you were a teacher?

Lol. The local district league certainly isn't working well by any comparison! And thanks for the definition. Knowledge is power.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Aparently has two degrees including a Master's :rolleyes:

Latest posts