What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jdb case

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
If any player is charged with a serious offence
( don't set punishment on what could be punished by a court of law) on merits and evidence at hand, up to 6 months stood down for players who have overwhelming evidence against them! In this case if police had overwhelming evidence against JDB, he would not have even got bail! By time it gets to hearing next year who is not to say that his charges may be reduced to a crime that only carries a 2 year sentence! That would be another failure in NRL "automatic stand down never play again until you prove your innocence"

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
No damning evidence you say.
Well then how is it that he is going to court?
Do you think the police, DPP and the legal system are running this case based on nothing?
Did you miss the judges statement when the matter was brought before him?
As I say leave it the judicial system to work it out.
Hi OT
Don't forget the DPP thought the same re Brett Stewart and SKD.

It's a tough one.

I'm torn between both sides of the argument.

If we had competent leadership in the NRL and the rule was implemented correctly we wouldn't find ourselves in this mess.

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
One would have to assume they have seen and read JDB side of the story probably talked to him themselves and think he is innocent.
Mate only a few would know his side of the story, I am quite positive that Craig Young would have had a serious conversation with him and with his experience with working as detective sgt for NSW police, I think he would have personally made sure JDB was sacked if he did not believe in him

TruSaint

Referee
Mate only a few would know his side of the story, I am quite positive that Craig Young would have had a serious conversation with him and with his experience with working as detective sgt for NSW police, I think he would have personally made sure JDB was sacked if he did not believe in him

And only a few would know the ladies side of the story.

Love your defence of Jack, but to suggest that a club official has access to more evidence than the legal teams on both sides, and to make a determination of innocence based on a chat with Jack is just not realistic.

Young would not be in a position to sack / defend anyone. He may have experience as an ex detective, but plays no role here.

Not having a go at you mate, but Young is not part of the equation here.

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
How many emails that were sent to NRL against the no stand rule, were produced in court? Last year when Dragons came up to Terrigal on the Central Coast my 23 yr old daughter and all her friends who play netball said they were gentleman especially the married ones!!l They will keep watching NRL.. Maybe NRL should have had Greenberg's daughter and her touch footy mates turn up to court and back up his evidence!!!

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
Hi OT
Don't forget the DPP thought the same re Brett Stewart and SKD.

It's a tough one.

I'm torn between both sides of the argument.

If we had competent leadership in the NRL and the rule was implemented correctly we wouldn't find ourselves in this mess.
IMO after Coffs Harbor DPP will just say charge them and make out like we're doing our job even if they are proven innocent at a later date!!

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
And only a few would know the ladies side of the story.

Love your defence of Jack, but to suggest that a club official has access to more evidence than the legal teams on both sides, and to make a determination of innocence based on a chat with Jack is just not realistic.

Young would not be in a position to sack / defend anyone. He may have experience as an ex detective, but plays no role here.

Not having a go at you mate, but Young is not part of the equation here.
Just saying he knows more than what you and I do mate!

What amazes me about this saga is the level of incompetence of the administrators of the game.

Instead of creating a new rule, they could have investigated whether his conduct that night was in breach of the existing rule concerning off the field player behaviour.

Was Jack drunk and disorderly in a public place?

Was he disrespectful to the young lady he was with?

If so they were entitled to suspend him.

Instead, the administrators of our game:

1. Create a new role without consulting the players association, breaching the CBA
2. Introduce a no-fault rule retrospectively to cover the JDB offence
3. Create a rule that denies the player a right of review or appeal of the decision
4. Create a rule with no time frame for the suspension.
5. Admit they had no evidence of JDB's alleged conduct
6. Claim JDB was the cause of certain clubs failing to secure sponsorship

In the case of Melbourne, serial salary cap cheats and WWE wrestling champions of the NRL, could other factors have affected their ability to raise sponsorship? Quite possibly.

I am constantly offended by all the gaming ads and the effect gambling has on many families.

My point is there are many reasons sponsorship is down, including administration incompetence, the perception in the community that teams like Roosters and Storm appear to be constantly favoured on and off the field. Not just player behaviour off the field.

st penguin

Juniors
This topic is pointless, lots of personalities different opinions. It doesn’t matter what any of us think, it will go one way or the other. Let’s let it be
I don’t think it’s pointless at all. It’s an important issue that goes beyond the sport.

Just reading different opinions has challenged my own stance. In trying to argue my point I learned more about this area of the law and changed my mind.

Right now, I don’t mind jdb being stood down in principle. But I think the excessive length of time is too much. I have a feeling NRL might struggle to win this one.

The Damo

Juniors
Talk about a show boat. Takes over from a club with extensive cheating 2.4 million over 3-4 years having two premierships removed and states that he has increased sponsorship since that time by 73%. Hmmm and now he can’t get $500k because of player behaviour because of jack. Longest bow I’ve ever seen. Why didn’t the NRL call our CEO. I hope the NRL aren’t basing all their evidence on girls not playing touch footy and a club unable to find 500k.
I’d just like to know how many sponsors pull out of the NRL if jack wins. I’d suggest none. You can’t convince anyone especially a federal judge that possible future sponsorship rests solely on the jack considering all the other dramas going on.
I wouldn’t expect sponsors to pull out straight away either. I would certainly expect that it would be raised as an issue as corporations made their decisions on where their dollars go next time around. What they decide we can’t predict, but they’d certainly take it into consideration.
Then, and this is the big one, if he’s returned to playing, and then is convicted, existing club & NRL sponsors will have paid money to put their logo on a convicted and incarcerated rapist. Again I don’t know what they and other potential sponsors would do in this case, but it’s hard to imagine they’d regard that as a positive outcome.
That obviously may not happen, but it’s a real risk that the NRL should responsibly consider.

Glenn012

Juniors
I wouldn’t expect sponsors to pull out straight away either. I would certainly expect that it would be raised as an issue as corporations made their decisions on where their dollars go next time around. What they decide we can’t predict, but they’d certainly take it into consideration.
Then, and this is the big one, if he’s returned to playing, and then is convicted, existing club & NRL sponsors will have paid money to put their logo on a convicted and incarcerated rapist. Again I don’t know what they and other potential sponsors would do in this case, but it’s hard to imagine they’d regard that as a positive outcome.
That obviously may not happen, but it’s a real risk that the NRL should responsibly consider.

Good point. Let's shut down the competition because at some point, some player may do something to sully the good name of SportsBet.com and etc.

rednwhites

Juniors
In the case of Melbourne, serial salary cap cheats and WWE wrestling champions of the NRL, could other factors have affected their ability to raise sponsorship? Quite possibly.

Exactly. Why would they have a representative in court crying about damages? There's been no greater harm to the game than what they inflicted on it by becoming false premiers on multiple occasions, from pure cheating. Ridiculous.

Juniors
I love the response then why didn’t they include all the convicted drug suppliers, gbh assaulters, domestic assaulters and every other player that has messed up. Lodge was on tape home invading yet is running around. Please don’t let me think that this is good for the game but standing down an unconvicted player will make the game more open to sponsorship and future earnings. Christ mate look at the players running around at the moment with their history and your telling me you agree that jack has to be the fall guy for everyone’s indiscretions including the clubs and the nrls.

Juniors
Nrl have some balls and include all players convicted of the same offences stricken of their contracts. Making a mockery of this.

The Damo

Juniors
I love the response then why didn’t they include all the convicted drug suppliers, gbh assaulters, domestic assaulters and every other player that has messed up. Lodge was on tape home invading yet is running around. Please don’t let me think that this is good for the game but standing down an unconvicted player will make the game more open to sponsorship and future earnings. Christ mate look at the players running around at the moment with their history and your telling me you agree that jack has to be the fall guy for everyone’s indiscretions including the clubs and the nrls.
I actually agree with pretty much all of that mate - i don’t think Lodge should have been registered when he was. Doing that is part of the f**kups that taking this stance might help remedy.
The fact the NRL have made bad decisions in the past shouldn’t prevent them making good decisions now. Doing the right thing has to start somewhere. It’s shit that it took this to get them moving and it’s shit that Jacks the guy involved.
However;
Were any of the people running around now charged with a crime serious enough to trigger the auto stand down now in place? Genuine question, I don’t know.
Were any of them charged or convicted of a crime as serious as Jack is?
Is anyone currently running around convicted of aggravated sexual assault in company?
Because I think that’s what makes this different, all that stuff is bad, and plenty of the decisions the NRL made around them were bad too, but most of it pales next to what he’s charged with. If he was some poor kid from Mt Druitt then the media wouldn’t refer to it as ‘allegations of sexual assault’ it would be ‘accused gang rapist’.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Recent press story, IF it is true, has JDB’s lawyer saying that the NRL let him down by not educating him about violence and the treatment of women.......WTF, really? Players according to his lawyer apparently don’t know how to treat women unless they are put through an education program by the NRL. What a stupid argument and what is the lawyer implying about JDB. Surely Jack is smarter than that and doesn’t need the NRL to teach him how to treat people. As I said at the beginning, I hope this article has got it wrong.

getsmarty

Immortal
Jack de Belin’s team claim NRL have failed player due to lack of education
League
  • April 18, 2019 9:07pm
  • by By Steve Zemek
  • Source: AAP
6e1cd4c94c61e2b977503c2a7b133db6

NRL player Jack De Belin (right) arrives at the NSW Federal CourtSource: AAP
Jack de Belin’s lawyers have claimed the NRL failed to put the St George Illawarra star through an education program about violence against women and that controversy was sometimes good for sports.

Martin Einfeld QC made the statements as de Belin’s fight against the NRL and ARL Commission to be reinstated drew to a close in the Federal Court on Thursday.

Justice Melissa Perry said she was unlikely to hand down her judgment next week. De Belin is suing the game’s governing bodies after he was sidelined as part of their “no fault” stand-down policy after he was charged with aggravated sexual assault.

He has pleaded not guilty.

During his closing statements, Einfeld said the game had failed de Belin by not providing him with an education program about violence against women. He said that the no-fault stand-down rules were a “last resort” because their education programs had failed.

727134_640x360_large_20190418130112.jpg

Controversy cost Storm $500K

“There was a program about theatres sports, drug taking, how to speak well, about gambling,” Einfeld said.

He then claimed there was “not a single program” which de Belin was made to attend which addressed violence against women.

Einfeld’s claims were subsequently refuted by the defence’s barrister Alan Sullivan QC who said the theatre sports program presented the player with a series of scenarios and directly addressed violence against women. The NRL has claimed it instituted the hardline policy in an attempt to curb a spate of off-field dramas and to prevent an exodus of sponsors and supporters. Einfeld said fans would not necessarily be turned off by controversy and that “some people will watch irrespective of whether they’re role models - whatever that may be”.

He said there was “no evidence” that the “bad behaviour” of tennis stars was a detriment to the sport.

“Some people might like to watch it,” Einfeld said.

“I dare say John McEnroe was famous for causing disruption.” Melbourne Storm chairman Bart Campbell claimed the NRL’s summer from hell cost his club $500,000 a year in lost sponsorship.

Campbell said after major Storm partner Crown Resorts last year announced they were retreating from the sponsorship market and ending their seven-figure deal, his club had struggled to find a replacement.

d59ae98d9b22074db97b66cb3ff3fcc7

Melbourne Storm chairman Bart Campbell arrives to give evidenceSource: AAP
He said that early in the new year he was told by corporations that they didn’t want to be associated with the 13-man code.

The club in March signed a one-year deal with real estate company Purple Bricks. Campbell told the court he had negotiations with Purple Bricks, La Trobe Financial, as well as minor sponsors Fuso Trucks and Tiger Air about becoming major sponsors.

He said the club was forced to take $500,000 below market value for their front of jersey sponsorship.

“We had four companies tell us the risk of being associated with the NRL was too great,” Campbell said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/2088a8661bf81baebb836cd4dd425753

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts