What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Manly

ozbuck

Juniors
The bad calls didn't even themselves out in this game.

If you thought the referees let us off the hook, then you were watching a different game to me. Do you really think that Manly would have won if they got one more penalty?

Not a victim here. I believe that good teams beat bad refs. And tonight we were the better team. The scoreline flattered Manly.

Bad calls even themselves out over a year.

Exactly, good teams don't give a hoot about bad decisions. Good teams are resilient, not bitchy victims like a lot of supporters are. We did great to overcome a host of bad calls.

ozbuck

Juniors
Had Parker been binned for his trip, we win the game more easily.

Courageous defensive effort from both sides.

Too many handling errors in our half of the field, possibly due to the side being gassed out.

We need another kicker. Tim Lafai is doing his best. Unfortunately, it simply isn't good enough.

We *possibly* win easier. Ive seen plenty of times the team with a binned player ends up scoring points against a full man team too. Who knows what may have happened. One less player doesn't mean we definitely win the game.

Agree with all your points. I'm never confident with lafai kicking haha

Brutalitops

Juniors
We *possibly* win easier. Ive seen plenty of times the team with a binned player ends up scoring points against a full man team too. Who knows what may have happened. One less player doesn't mean we definitely win the game.

Agree with all your points. I'm never confident with lafai kicking haha
It was actually Manly who went back to back to back on us after going a player down in late 17

giboz71

First Grade
In the face of THAT penalty count, our unforced errors, lost 50:50 calls, missed points opportunities and a well drilled and determined Manly side in winning form, I would just about rate a gritty win like that perhaps our most valuable game of the season to date. Sure, last week was great but in the end, the boys were toying with the bullwogs. A game like that one tonight is what builds character and deepens team spirit. Seeing McInnes, Graham and other forwards' efforts in defence in the last quarter, if that isn't inspirational, I dunno what is.
PS Fair dinkum! I almost think a pair of orangutans could have reffed that one better.

Our defence in the last 15 mins won us the game.

Our line speed when Manly was coming out of their line was inspirational. We’re definitely a fit team. That’s what led to DCE not getting to his kick and and we go the ball back inside the 20.

We didn’t play that well but our attitude was first class.

Last edited:

ozbuck

Juniors
And we have our own on here saying we have nothing to complain about concerning the referees

We got some crap penalties go against us. Complain about it though? Not going to change a thing...and that's the point: players need to just get the f**k on with it and just play what's in front of them...and they did last night and won despite any BS that happened. Lockyer was a prime example of this back in the day...he just got on with it, he never got in the refs face about a bad call, he just focused on what he could control and if he played for a Sydney team he would've been thought of more highly than he even is. He was exceptional.

Was anyone complaining about the certain penalty in the last play of the game? All crap decisions even themselves out over time. When we get a dud decision at the end of a game in the future that has major impact most ppl will block out last night from their memory and focus on 'how this always happens to us' and 'the refs don't want is to win' BS.

I've never met bigger wingers about refs than fellow saints supporters haha

Just get on with it ;)

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Actually his strategy - or more accurately the game plan - tonight was spot on. As Ben Hunt said post game, they knew the Manly edges would rush up to counter the spin to the edges, so kicking behind the line was the plan to get around that. And Ben did it to perfection - resulting in both the tries. His bench usage, well, that's something completely different.

By the way, did you see Des's presser? Apparently Mary isn't the only one that believes kicks don't count.
Game plan was to use 16 players too? Apparently that's clever stuff. Hunt and Norman came up with the kick strategy, and they almost used it too bloody much.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Yeh the refs screwed us most of the night.

That last tackle penalty on Parker after we had held them for 5 tackles inside the 20 was such a rort. We got him with dominant tackle and he milked a penalty. A proper ref would have rewarded the defending team.

But what do you expect from rookie refs who only got promoted because the first choice refs were dropped because they didn't stop the game when Nene broke his leg.

Lucky it didn't cost us.
No sense for the feel of the game, that penalty was a clear sign that the referree who gave it belongs somewhere else....no allowance given for the momentum that the great and committed defence had created for us. And Parker milked it to the hilt.

True_Believer

Juniors
Game plan was to use 16 players too? Apparently that's clever stuff. Hunt and Norman came up with the kick strategy, and they almost used it too bloody much.

Didn't you read my post?

And Hunt himself said after the game they knew they would rush up. It was planned from the start.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Y
Didn't you read my post?

And Hunt himself said after the game they knew they would rush up. It was planned from the start.
yeah I read your post, no mention of the plan/strategy to only use 16 players in a 17 player game, because that part of it is left to the coach only and he comes up with donuts every week. I give no credit to McGregor for the kicking strategy, he never came up with anything previously in 5 years and daresay he had bugger all to do with coming up with the kicking strategy - Corey Norman has added the brains this team needed all along.

Crush

Coach
Y

yeah I read your post, no mention of the plan/strategy to only use 16 players in a 17 player game, because that part of it is left to the coach only and he comes up with donuts every week. I give no credit to McGregor for the kicking strategy, he never came up with anything previously in 5 years and daresay he had bugger all to do with coming up with the kicking strategy - Corey Norman has added the brains this team needed all along.
Corey Norman has added the brains? Never thought I would hear that....

Brutalitops

Juniors
Y

Now, I hate McGregor as coach as much as the next guy, but this is just ridiculous. Just ignoring an obvious game plan because reasons is silly.

Mary has tons of shortcomings, particularly as a bench manager, but he does come up with game plans at least.

The fact the players talked of it being the plan from the start should mean the end of the conversation

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I agree. I thought he was his usual self with the ball - solid, low risk but he looked lazy & clumsy giving up the flop & high shot penalties. More of that & it will be time for a tap on the shoulder.
Nah, McGregor builds his team's around players like Latimore.

Here's a prediction - If JDB does come back soon unexpectedly, McGregor will drop either Lawrie or Host so as to accomodate JDB, but retain Latimore at 14....and Lomax will do a Robson.

True_Believer

Juniors
Y

You obviously didn't read it.