What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd8: Parramatta v Dragons LIVE GAME DAY thread May 5th 2019

TheRam

Coach
Moeroa's was more than ok yesterday. His charges when he came back on in the second half were great and resulted in a few quick play the balls. He was one of a few that thought kick chases were mandatory not optional and should have grabbed himself a meat pie.

Why was I not surprised that he couldn't catch that ball? He is bog average. Even when referring to him as being primarily a defensive unit, sure that is his strength, but he is hardly a workhorse or lethal axe like defender. I mean he doesn't make 40-60 tackles a game or chop people in two. He rarely gets over 30 odd tackles a game, most decent defenders get those sorts of numbers.

So hardly a standout at anything really. Just bog average. Sure every team needs them, but they are also generally paid a bog average wage too. I hope we have him priced right, if so then I won't bag him out so much. Anyone know what he is on roughly?

Should fight it so he's not left with 95 odd carryover points and at risk of missing the grand final for some minor infringement. Bet we don't but.

emjaycee

Coach
Why was I not surprised that he couldn't catch that ball? He is bog average. Even when referring to him as being primarily a defensive unit, sure that is his strength, but he is hardly a workhorse or lethal axe like defender. I mean he doesn't make 40-60 tackles a game or chop people in two. He rarely gets over 30 odd tackles a game, most decent defenders get those sorts of numbers.

So hardly a standout at anything really. Just bog average. Sure every team needs them, but they are also generally paid a bog average wage too. I hope we have him priced right, if so then I won't bag him out so much. Anyone know what he is on roughly?
I think he is on pretty much big average mate :grin:

emjaycee

Coach
Should fight it so he's not left with 95 odd carryover points and at risk of missing the grand final for some minor infringement. Bet we don't but.
If we fight it and he misses a game it means Evans will be picked again.

At least later in the year we could save having that problem by having Nrown back.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I know you go off Champion Data but NRL stats have:

Moeroa: 50 minutes and 26 tackles for a work rate of 0.52 tackles per minute
Mau: 47 minutes and 23 tackles for a work rate of 0.49 tackles per minute.

Whilst Tep has the height advantage (and probably wingspan) he certainly doesn’t use it to his advantage as he is our worst wrestler by some margin. He is often left lying on the ground during a tackle and unable to get to an effective marker position.

The fact he has been penalised 6 times already suggests this might be the case.
I do go off Champion Data, because it’s better. I also use attempted tackles rather than just tackles, because it’s a better indicator of effort.

If he’s on the ground more often it’s because he’s usually first into contact.

And we know two of those penalties are for dangerous tackles - a spear tackle against Penrith in round one and the one on the weekend against Norman. Are the other four for poor wrestling, or just being smart and slowing the ruck down when he knows the line isn’t set?

If we fight it and he misses a game it means Evans will be picked again.

At least later in the year we could save having that problem by having Nrown back.
True but if Timmy is good to go then Evans might only have to put in a token appearance, like yesterday.

eel01s

Bench
How was Moeroa charged for that? The commentators on Fox thought there was nothing in it, penalty sufficient. Why do we always get pinged for these minor incidents??? Surpised Sivo wasn't charged for his tackles on Dufty and Norman.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I do go off Champion Data, because it’s better. I also use attempted tackles rather than just tackles, because it’s a better indicator of effort.

If he’s on the ground more often it’s because he’s usually first into contact.

And we know two of those penalties are for dangerous tackles - a spear tackle against Penrith in round one and the one on the weekend against Norman. Are the other four for poor wrestling, or just being smart and slowing the ruck down when he knows the line isn’t set?
What is the point of work rate if it leads to ineffective tackles?

Regardless if he is first in contact, he needs to be better at wrestling so that he ends up in a position that he can get back to marker. I tend to think it might be an upper body strength thing as he can’t dominate the wrestle.

In response to the last point, id argue the former and you’d argue the latter.

Oscarman

Juniors
Surpised Sivo wasn't charged for his tackles on Dufty and Norman.

My brother who is a Merge supporter, and massively salty after the game, reckons Sivo should get 4 weeks for that. Also called him something terrible relating to his ethnic background, and reckons the refs cheated for us.

WHAT A FLOG.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That charge on Tep was truly embarrassing, only a club like ours gets a BS charge like that.

Gouge a bloke and pay a fine if you play for others.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
My brother who is a Merge supporter, and massively salty after the game, reckons Sivo should get 4 weeks for that. Also called him something terrible relating to his ethnic background, and reckons the refs cheated for us.

WHAT A FLOG.
You’re brother is a Looser!!

Bazal

Post Whore
I wonder what the overall success rate is for challenging charges across the NRL?

It wouldn't be very high...

Eelogical

Referee

WHAT A FLOG.
I was in Redcliffe this afternoon and there was some guy sitting in a restaurant with a St George jersey on. The nerve of some people.

forward pass

Coach
I wonder what the overall success rate is for challenging charges across the NRL?

It wouldn't be very high...

It is actually very high (off the top of my head).

You get QC's, doctors and Physics professors arguing a case to a bunch of ex-footy players. They are usually successful.