What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Eels

ingles

Juniors
Hey everyone on a lighter vent; a fellow dragons supporter did some research and apparently that ‘heritage’ kick off penalty was the 1st blown in the NRL for the last 7000 kick offs. He worked it out at a conservative 8 per game etc. for past 5 years or something. Not sure if true but wow we broke the drought.

It’s true our guy had marginally mistimed by overstepping about a metre, so I guess after 7000 disciplined kick offs someone would be pinged some day and it arrived last weekend hahahaha. Too funny and some truly believe that refs don’t carry a little bias against some teams.. they are only human after all.

Seriously, I do agree with Mary when he said that we need to handle and double down after penalties and 50/50 go against us. After all even if a ref were to carry bias he (or she now ) can only do so much and can be taken out of the game as Bennett said.

Actually , there was one a week or so back - I think in the Tigers game . But yes , as rare as hen's teeth .

denis preston

First Grade
I'll start this post by saying I dont think Latimore is playing as well this year as he was last year and that I think he was good value last year.

His stats for the Eels game were 26 minutes ran for 51 meters from 5 runs, made 20 tackles missed 2 and had no penalties or errors.

His average over the 8 rounds so far are 33 minutes ran for 53 meters from 6 runs, made 23 tackles and missed 1 and had no errors and .25 of a penalty.

If you go by those stats he is doing a reasonable job. Where i dont think he is doing as well as last year is he is not bending the line as much and has put away his offload.

Really ? Not hard to average just under 10 meters a run when the opposition are at least 8 metres back when you get the ball !

Lovemedragons

Juniors
There is a screenshot floating around of a Parra player quite far in front of the kickoff as the ref watches on.
yes it is not hard to get paranoid about referee treatment of your team when they pull this penalty out of the box and yes of course we are the ones pinged. So many kickoffs have happened since the last time anyone was penalised for overstepping (because thats such a huge advantage from a deep kick off). The timing of the penalty was suspicious too - handing momentum over to Parra as they go into half time after they had been well beaten in the first 40, they had not earned the leg up.

And am still waiting to see if any other player ever ever gets suspended for two weeks for politely brushing by a referee and touching him gently in a completely non combative way. Seen Cam Smith touch the ref on the weekend,...nothing said or done, his jersey is purple.

dino1

Juniors
How can a team with semi final aspirations be overtaken and thrashed if we were 14 nil in the first half. There must be something going on???? Norman and frizell are big losses but the blokes we put in should of been able to perform, That means these blokes are not worthy of first grade.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
How can a team with semi final aspirations be overtaken and thrashed if we were 14 nil in the first half. There must be something going on???? Norman and frizell are big losses but the blokes we put in should of been able to perform, That means these blokes are not worthy of first grade.
How can a team that played so well in brisbane last September play so bad last Sunday

LINESPEED

Juniors
How can a team that played so well in brisbane last September play so bad last Sunday

Not enough offloads in the forwards or general commitment to back up the ballcarrier at all costs IMHO

The AllBlacks are the yardstick in backup play-
& they hunt in packs

Continually recycling the ball

In Brisbane every Bronco had
a target on his jersey

Relentless defence & attack
Simple
If it can be pulled off consistently

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors
I'll start this post by saying I dont think Latimore is playing as well this year as he was last year and that I think he was good value last year.

His stats for the Eels game were 26 minutes ran for 51 meters from 5 runs, made 20 tackles missed 2 and had no penalties or errors.

His average over the 8 rounds so far are 33 minutes ran for 53 meters from 6 runs, made 23 tackles and missed 1 and had no errors and .25 of a penalty.

If you go by those stats he is doing a reasonable job. Where i dont think he is doing as well as last year is he is not bending the line as much and has put away his offload.
Ohh so you're that one person who thought he was good value last year !!!!

possm

Coach

We need all players in our prop rotation to at least run 100m.

possm

Coach
There was a change in tactics in the second half last game. Line speed went from great to non existent, defence up the middle became very soft and our forwards became in-effective making ground up the middle.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
There was a change in tactics in the second half last game. Line speed went from great to non existent, defence up the middle became very soft and our forwards became in-effective making ground up the middle.
That makes him a great tactician....not

Warabrook saint

Juniors
It is pointless going on and on about the coach. Sure there is a problem there, he would have had better results over the past few years. Coaches and Managers are being sacked all the time in other codes world wide. Take English soccer as an example. It is up to senior players to take charge after things are falling apart on the field. The coach is not out there. Take Melbourne, generally Cameron Smith inspires other players when things are off colour. Its time for the players to shape up or ship out. Nothing much can be done about Mary's contract, so the players have got to do with the best they have got and show a bit of character..
Our Saints showed plenty of character with Bennett incharge. Put mcgregor incharge of melbourne and watch the character and work ethic go to garbage

Carlton

Juniors
We need all players in our prop rotation to at least run 100m.

Possm he ran 51 m in 26 minutes that means he was running for over 200m if he played 80 minutes and if he had played 50m he would have run for 100m.

The fact is his meters per run, meters run per minute, tackles made per minute, missed tackles, errors, penalties conceded are as good as or better than some of the other forwards. What he is not doing this year is hitting the line as hard and getting a play the ball as quick as last year and he is not offloading.

possm

Coach
Possm he ran 51 m in 26 minutes that means he was running for over 200m if he played 80 minutes and if he had played 50m he would have run for 100m.

The fact is his meters per run, meters run per minute, tackles made per minute, missed tackles, errors, penalties conceded are as good as or better than some of the other forwards. What he is not doing this year is hitting the line as hard and getting a play the ball as quick as last year and he is not offloading.
Ok, I didn't realise, thank you for pointing that out. Maybe we should be measuring our prop's post contact metres and tackle breaks.

Old Timer

Coach
I cant take all the credit for being right, I wasn't the only one who thought he did a good job last year. Go back and read some of the posts.
Indeed you are correct in that there were plenty saying Latimore deserved his spot and there are still a few that subscribe to that opinion.
There are stats being offered up as to how he compares in an effort to justify his position in the squad.
For me he is just a cumbersome, big plodding body that plays exactly the style of football coach wants.
Latimore's speed and agility are akin to coach's brainpower which is ponderous at best.

Carlton

Juniors
Indeed you are correct in that there were plenty saying Latimore deserved his spot and there are still a few that subscribe to that opinion.
There are stats being offered up as to how he compares in an effort to justify his position in the squad.
For me he is just a cumbersome, big plodding body that plays exactly the style of football coach wants.
Latimore's speed and agility are akin to coach's brainpower which is ponderous at best.

OT stats were not put up to justify his position, I stated I do not think he is playing as well this year as last but just because you call him a plodder doesn't change the fact his stats are still on par with at least half of the forwards.

And you are 100% right he plays the game the coach wants, he is not picking himself and he is also not the biggest problem in the team. Would I change him? Yes, I would be giving Kerr/Timm a go to see if they can handle it and I would be happy if we picked up Welch.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

1 hitup every 5 minutes in a 26 minutes stint is pretty ordinary

Latest posts