What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rockin' the suburbs - Finals back to base

Timbo

Staff member
surely canberra's stadium is not big enough for a prelim game

Canberra vs. Melbourne at ANZ will draw about eight people.

Likewise, Canberra vs. Souths at ANZ would draw a great crowd, but it'd be deeply unfair to us because it'd be 90% Souths fans.

Our ground holds 26,000 and it's possible to bump in about 3,000 scaffold seats if we have a week's notice (it's been done for Super Rugby finals).

This is the kind of match that would happen once every blue moon. You have to be fair to the clubs that qualify.

adamkungl

Immortal
Canberra vs. Melbourne at ANZ will draw about eight people.

Likewise, Canberra vs. Souths at ANZ would draw a great crowd, but it'd be deeply unfair to us because it'd be 90% Souths fans.

Our ground holds 26,000 and it's possible to bump in about 3,000 scaffold seats if we have a week's notice (it's been done for Super Rugby finals).

This is the kind of match that would happen once every blue moon. You have to be fair to the clubs that qualify.

Not to mention Canberra is its own city, not a suburb of Sydney. If it's good enough for Cows it should be good enough for Newcastle and Australia's capital.

Springs09

Juniors
I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t agree. The atmosphere of that final against parra was outstanding. It would be outstanding against the dogs too, and much better than 40k at the SCG or ANZ.

I know it locks out fans, but why is this such an issue? If the tickets are in huge demand they could be sold at a premium. Decreasing supply won’t decrease demand, members get first crack, and ideally it would lead to increased memberships in the future.

Why is it an issue that tens of thousands of fans get locked out of what could be an historic game for their club?

For some reason I'd prefer if the NRL gave preference to giving more fans a chance at an amazing experience over being able to sell tickets at a higher price.

adamkungl

Immortal
Plus if you sold tickets at $90 each to make up the shortfall everyone would sook about evil Todd pricing out working families or some nonsense

SBD82

Coach
Why is it an issue that tens of thousands of fans get locked out of what could be an historic game for their club?

For some reason I'd prefer if the NRL gave preference to giving more fans a chance at an amazing experience over being able to sell tickets at a higher price.
I think I understand your view, it’s one that was shouted from the rooftops after our 09 final against parra.

But I don’t agree that attending 1st week finals at ANZ or the SCG are an amazing experience. A packed kogarah is though.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

I actually agree with building demand. Create premium experiences so more people want to be part of it. That grows attendance culture and in turn allows fanbases to grow to a point where bigger stadia are more suitable.

firechild

First Grade
Manly will add extra sand to their pitch to gain an advantage
I hope so. Players from other clubs are clearly just soft. Especially the Raiders. They had a sook about it a few weeks ago. Probably just setting up their excuses.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL does like to set its bar low. Why wouldn't we want 12k at Shark Park for a finals game lol.
Agree re Canberra and Knights, dumb to make them play in Sydney.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Another dumb move..

All they have to say is..

The NRL will pick all grounds in finals.. and choose the most appropriate venue to suit based on a match by match basis..

If it's Manly v Titans .. choose Lottoland

If it's Manly v Parramatta.. sorry gotta be bankwest.. or anz

RedVDave

First Grade
It only took the NRL 10 years to realise how stupid this idea was.

Teams that play well enough all season to get home semi deserve to pick which ground they will have the biggest advantage at.

As for "fans" missing out become a season ticket holder so you can access the pre-sales don't just jump on the bandwagon and then have a sook you missed out.

no name

Coach
So can the Titans host a Prelim? Or does it go to Suncorp still?
Pretty shitty if it’s still at Suncorp, not that it’s gonna happen anytime soon.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
It only took the NRL 10 years to realise how stupid this idea was.

Teams that play well enough all season to get home semi deserve to pick which ground they will have the biggest advantage at.

As for "fans" missing out become a season ticket holder so you can access the pre-sales don't just jump on the bandwagon and then have a sook you missed out.

So tigers v parra .. and they can play it at leichardt ? In front of 17k

Latest posts