What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Conference competition, winner of each plays off in RLSuper bowl

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I got an idea, with the two conferences...

conference 1
Sydney
Souths
Wests
Parramatta
Stgeorge
Melbourne
Gold Coast
Newcastle
Manly
Brisbane 2

conference 2
Brisbane
Nth Qld
Auckland
Penrith
Canterbury
Canberra
Cronulla
Perth
Adelaide
Newcastle2

See even 2 comps? 20 teams?
Whats everyone gotta problem with? Perfect if you ask me, maybe should have done this 25 years ago, maybe this would been a really super comp of rugby league in and around Australia, better than all the rest! Better than anyone ive ever met!
hehehehe

I don't think Newcastle would ever have a population big enough to support 2 NRL level teams and Newcastle is and always will be a 1 team town. It would be the whole 'Hunter Mariners' debarcle all over again. If anything I think the effort would be better pushed toward Central Coast if you were going to add another Northern NSW team or even further up to Coffs/Northern Rivers.

Other than that I think this is basically how the NRL would have looked like if at the end of the Super League war they had rationalised it a bit better at the time.

flippikat

Bench
I got an idea, with the two conferences...

conference 1
Sydney
Souths
Wests
Parramatta
Stgeorge
Melbourne
Gold Coast
Newcastle
Manly
Brisbane 2

conference 2
Brisbane
Nth Qld
Auckland
Penrith
Canterbury
Canberra
Cronulla
Perth
Adelaide
Newcastle2

I see what ya did there ;-)

Conference 1 is formerly ARL-aligned clubs plus the Storm, Conference 2 is formerly Super League-aligned teams.

It makes sense for geographical spread.. but I'd be tempted to make 2 minor tweaks.

* Substitute Central Coast, Brisbane 3 or NZ 2 instead of a 2nd Newcastle team in Conference 2.

* Swap Parramatta & Adelaide. Parra would be in same conference as Bulldogs & Penrith and Adelaide in same conference as Melbourne.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

Conference 1 is formerly ARL-aligned clubs plus the Storm, Conference 2 is formerly Super League-aligned teams.

It makes sense for geographical spread.. but I'd be tempted to make 2 minor tweaks.

* Substitute Central Coast, Brisbane 3 or NZ 2 instead of a 2nd Newcastle team in Conference 2.

* Swap Parramatta & Adelaide. Parra would be in same conference as Bulldogs & Penrith and Adelaide in same conference as Melbourne.

I say we get an American team in there while we're at it. Take out Newcastle 2 and swap in the Butte Pirates.

MugaB

Coach

Yeah it was a joke

Perth Red

Post Whore
In fact, here it is from 22 Feb this year....

Good idea, I’d split the conferences based on rivalry , Sydney split, geography to some degree and travel impacts. Played each team in your conference home and away and each team on other conference once, alternating home and away each season. Top 9 playoffs with top 4 from each conference plus 9th placed wildcard.

Arthur Summons Conference

Panthers
Eels
Bulldogs
Wests
Knights
Broncos
Titans
Cowboys
Brisbane2

Norm Provan conference

Dragons
Rabbits
Sharks
Roosters
Sea-Eagles
Raiders
Warriors
Storm
Pirates

Next expansion NZ2 in NP conference and Adelaide in AS conference

T-Boon

Coach
The conference systems create fierce rivalries. It would be great for the NRL.
4 conferences of 4 teams (or divisions) or even 3 conferences of 6 teams if we go to 18.

applesauce

Bench
The conference systems create fierce rivalries. It would be great for the NRL.
4 conferences of 4 teams (or divisions) or even 3 conferences of 6 teams if we go to 18.

Mathematically more teams are in play for finals too.

In addition the schedule can make more sense (home and away within division, annual rotating h/a between divisions).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dont think you need 4 divisions until we go to or beyond 20 teams. I see no advantage over 2 conferences for 18 clubs.

T-Boon

Coach
Dont think you need 4 divisions until we go to or beyond 20 teams. I see no advantage over 2 conferences for 18 clubs.

I get your point. One thing I would say is the smaller the group "division" eg 4 rather than 8, the fiercer the rivalry, the more it is going to translate into more passionate fandom such as to get fans off their arse and to the ground.

Last edited:

Diesel

Coach
Good idea, I’d split the conferences based on rivalry , Sydney split, geography to some degree and travel impacts. Played each team in your conference home and away and each team on other conference once, alternating home and away each season. Top 9 playoffs with top 4 from each conference plus 9th placed wildcard.

Panthers
Eels
Bulldogs
Wests
Knights
Broncos
Titans
Cowboys
Brisbane2

Norm Provan conference

Dragons
Rabbits
Sharks
Roosters
Sea-Eagles
Raiders
Warriors
Storm
Pirates

If WA & NZ have to be in the same conference then it’s only fair the Roosters stay in the same conference as they’re the least travelled team in the comp.
otherwise NZ & WA should not be in the same conference

Perth Red

Post Whore
If WA & NZ have to be in the same conference then it’s only fair the Roosters stay in the same conference as they’re the least travelled team in the comp.
otherwise NZ & WA should not be in the same conference

Its easier to get from Perth to Auckland than Perth to NQ, direct flights around 6-7hrs

T-Boon

Coach
Its easier to get from Perth to Auckland than Perth to NQ, direct flights around 6-7hrs

When Perth come in they need to be in a Sydney division so that they can do 2 at home followed by 2 away or even 3 at home followed by 3 away. Back and forward across the country once a fortnight would be too expensive in the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When Perth come in they need to be in a Sydney division so that they can do 2 at home followed by 2 away or even 3 at home followed by 3 away. Back and forward across the country once a fortnight would be too expensive in the NRL.

haha, you do realise we have perth teams playing in mighty sports like baseball, waterpolo, hockey etc that play in national comeptitions and can afford to fly interstate? On $500mill a year the NRl most definately can afford $150k a year in travel costs for a Perth team :)

T-Boon

Coach
haha, you do realise we have perth teams playing in mighty sports like baseball, waterpolo, hockey etc that play in national comeptitions and can afford to fly interstate? On $500mill a year the NRl most definately can afford $150k a year in travel costs for a Perth team :)

Well when you put it like that...

MugaB

Coach

Panthers
Eels
Bulldogs
Wests
Knights
Broncos
Titans
Cowboys
Brisbane2

Norm Provan conference

Dragons
Rabbits
Sharks
Roosters
Sea-Eagles
Raiders
Warriors
Storm
Pirates

Yeah im of the opinion that more conferences would create more rivalries too, i posted a few months ago, the compass idea, to keep travel for fans easier, and distance relatively closer for memberships, verse the teams within your conference Home & Away, but only once outside your conference
The Northern conference stretching from North Qld, to Newcastle
(& brisbane, gold coast, brissy2)
Southern conference stretching from South Sydney to Melbourne (& SGI Dragons,
Canberra, Adelaide)
Eastern Conference stretching from NZ to Sydney roosters (& manly, cronulla, NZ2)
Western Conference stretching from Perth to Wests tigers (& penrith, parra and bulldogs)

Add a heritage/rival round, and a magic round, giving us 25 rounds
Top 2 from each conference makes the finals

Also suggest significant financial grants for teams to forfeit their roster to a brand new team
For example brisbane broncos to get the start up cost to create a new roster, whilst the current roster of milford, boyd, lodge etc, become the new venture in brisbane,
This can be also done with the warriors
Ushering in the 2nd New Zealand side.
However Perth and Adelaide, might have to have a sydney team with depth of talent do this (Penriths roster could play under Perth Pirates, and penrith hones in on their own lower grade, and St George does the same by porting their current roster to Adelaide, for example)
This gives fans of the previous squad to enjoy the new team of say Christchurch Bulls, and follow Roger Tuava Sheck, Blake Green, etc, whilst Warriors get cashed up and recreate their new roster, but still have their fanbase.
Im sure after 5-10 years the rosters would be completely new from a squad 10 years prior, but this gets a head start to these new ventures in new locations,
Im sure when melbourne storm was created by the combined rosters of closed down perth reds and hunter mariners, plus a few other marquee players like Glen Lazerus
It made them successful, this way, only the roster ports over, while the old team gets rewarded and starts fresh with a young squad, not many teams would want to do this, and logistically uprooting a squad of say 20 players plus staff, isn't easy, but a team in Adelaide would need to hit the ground running, not take a decade to form then possibly fail, a ready made roster would solve this, by relocation of players/staff, whilst restarting the current brand.
Or give each club remuneration for any player who wants to join a new venture, but only if the player is from the same conference, so Josh Maguire, Matt Gillett, Ash Taylor, Kayln Ponga, from the Northern Conference clubs can play for the new Brisbane team, and clubs where they came from get paid out, but clubs like Newcastle aren't going to want Kayln jumping ship, not for money,
Im sure Waqa Blake might want to join the Pirates for example

Last edited:

Latest posts