What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rockin' the suburbs - Finals back to base

Springs09

Juniors
I actually agree with building demand. Create premium experiences so more people want to be part of it. That grows attendance culture and in turn allows fanbases to grow to a point where bigger stadia are more suitable.

Sydney derby finals are already premium events that people want to be part of. Hence why they get big crowds like the 48k for Souths v Dragons last year and there’s no point locking out 30k fans so we can have a ‘premium experience’ at Kogarah.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Has to be ANZ, but the point is the tigers can't get to pick it..

They don't get the gate.. they don't get members in for free .

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The sharks will not want to play St Geo at anz which has got 50k before.. they will pick point bet shit hole.. for sure ..

And get 18k max

SBD82

Coach
Has to be ANZ, but the point is the tigers can't get to pick it..

They don't get the gate.. they don't get members in for free .
So do away with home finals. Play everything at ANZ.

I’m sick of the arbitrary rules. Either it should land with the clubs to make the decision, or everything should be at the one stadium. The last thing that I want is for the NRL to have discretion. They don’t do well with any shades of grey.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sydney derby finals are already premium events that people want to be part of. Hence why they get big crowds like the 48k for Souths v Dragons last year and there’s no point locking out 30k fans so we can have a ‘premium experience’ at Kogarah.
I'm not advocating for those type of matches to be kept at Kogarah, but absolutely if it's an interstate team or a low-draw Sydney team, then by all means play it at a suburban venue.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
So do away with home finals. Play everything at ANZ.

I’m sick of the arbitrary rules. Either it should land with the clubs to make the decision, or everything should be at the one stadium. The last thing that I want is for the NRL to have discretion. They don’t do well with any shades of grey.

I'm not even sure it's technically a home final..
The nrl hires the ground.. takes the gate.. takes the food revenue.. etc..

Just call it a home city final, and pick the best ground..

RedVDave

First Grade
So tigers v parra .. and they can play it at leichardt ? In front of 17k

Why not!? had they of played it there against the roosters in 2010 they probably would of won that game.

but hey if you would rather your team lose in front of a mutual crowd because it's best for then NRL.

At the end of the day winning generates the most money for clubs.

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench
Home city was a good rule IMO, it just needed some fixing
Canberra and Newcastle are cities, they shouldn't have to play at Sydney. Same goes with the GC and Brisbane.

Keeping with that rule , Dragon's should get to choose Wollongong or Sydney, because of it's unique position

At the eels home stadium? I think that compromises the integrity of it being a tigers home game.
Tigers are playing their next few home games at Bankwest, including one against the Eels. It's not just the Eels home ground

SBD82

Coach
Home city was a good rule IMO, it just needed some fixing
Canberra and Newcastle are cities, they shouldn't have to play at Sydney. Same goes with the GC and Brisbane.

Keeping with that rule , Dragon's should get to choose Wollongong or Sydney, because of it's unique position

Tigers are playing their next few home games at Bankwest, including one against the Eels. It's not just the Eels home ground
Fair enough. If tigers want to make bank west their home game happy for them to choose to play there.

I wonder if people will complain about the 20 odd thousand that will be “locked out”.

No, it literally says in the article Sydney clubs can still choose those three stadia.

Sydney clubs can also take games to the new Bankwest Stadium, home to the Eels, or ANZ Stadium or the SCG, where the Roosters are slated to host their home finals.

What’s the incentive to do that though if they aren’t getting the gate?

carcharias

Immortal
I went to a finals match at Shark park
V raiders during super league.
It was absolutely packed.
Standing room only on the hill.
Sharks won
Ricky blew up about everything being everyone else’s fault.
It was awesome

Valheru

Coach
Given the finals structure the following scenario will no doubt annoy some team soon

3 Cronulla
4 manly
5 saints
6 wests

Saints and wests get their first home final at suburban grounds but manly and Cronulla won't. If results went to form sharks and manly play the other 2 at centralised stadiums in week 2.

Latest posts