What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Max speaking to Hadley today.

Centre of Excellence to be announced today at Kellyville.

Gronk

Staff member
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...overnment-is-not-so-sure-20190508-p51lb2.html

All of a sudden the state govt aren't tripping over themselves to support a development, something is wrong.

The Eels want to build a hotel; the government is not so sure
Jacob SaulwickMay 13, 2019 — 12.00am

The stadium arm of the NSW government is pushing back against the Parramatta Leagues Club’s plans to build a hotel and function centre – because of fears it will compete with the new taxpayer-funded Bankwest Stadium.

The club is proposing to build the hotel to help diversity its income away from poker machines, and provide reliable revenue to help support the Parramatta Eels NRL team.
\But Venues NSW, which runs government-owned stadiums including ANZ at Olympic Park and the 30,000 seat Bankwest Stadium at Parramatta, is wary of the extra traffic that would be generated by the hotel, and the competition from new function centres.

The proposed hotel, near to Parramatta Park, is also opposed by the Heritage Council of NSW, in part because of the way it might visually dominate an area with significant heritage sites. The Parramatta Park Trust did not provide a comment on the proposal.

The $140-odd million hotel project is being assessed by the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment as a “state significant infrastructure.”

Venues NSW outlined its concern in a submission to the department. Venues NSW said it expected to host more than 43 events at the adjacent Bankwest Stadium every year, as well as at least three function or conference events at the stadium each week.

It said all road access into the area should be preserved for the stadium. It also recommended that Parramatta Leagues not duplicate function centre space in its 200-odd room hotel development.

“The introduction of a competitor in such close vicinity to the stadium may impact on that business and will therefore affect the ongoing financial viability of the stadium and the return on investment to the NSW government,” Paul Doorn, the chief executive at Venues NSW wrote.

the development would also help the club financially support the Eels. “We must diversify. Gambling is a good stream of revenue however at the moment without gambling an Eels team wouldn’t be running out.”

In its submission, the Heritage Council said the height and the sale of the proposal would significantly alter the character and skyline of the heritage precinct. The Heritage Council said the high-rise tower should be limited to the same height as the new stadium.

Parramatta Council also raised concerns about the scale of the hotel, which would sit near the $300 million Bankwest Stadium, which opened last month.

A spokeswoman for Venues NSW said the organisation's comments related to ensuring there was collaboration on managing "the potential increase in the number of events in the area."

"Venues NSW will be meeting with Parramatta Leagues Club in the coming weeks to discuss their proposal further," the spokeswoman said.

forward pass

Coach
Its funny I always drive past this park as I live in the area and for some reason always thought it would be a great place for a COE.

There used to be an indoor sports centre on this site which was demolished. There is heaps of space, including two ovals . Perfect location.

Suitman

Post Whore
Its funny I always drive past this park as I live in the area and for some reason always thought it would be a great place for a COE.

There used to be an indoor sports centre on this site which was demolished. There is heaps of space, including two ovals . Perfect location.

From what I've heard (about 3 months ago), the indoor sports centre was being demolished because the COE is to be built there. I'm surprised it's taken this long for an announcement but I suppose the club were just going through protocol and waiting for all the relevant approvals.

forward pass

Coach
From what I've heard (about 3 months ago), the indoor sports centre was being demolished because the COE is to be built there. I'm surprised it's taken this long for an announcement but I suppose the club were just going through protocol and waiting for all the relevant approvals.

wow - that was like 2 years ago !

Gronk

Staff member
PARRAMATTA EELS SECURES FUNDING FOR AUSTRALIA’S LARGEST COMMUNITY RUGBY LEAGUE FACILITY

The Parramatta Eels today announced that it has secured a $15 million funding commitment from the Federal Government to commence building the largest Community Rugby League facility in Australia.
The proposed $40 million complex in Sydney’s north-west will be a community based facility that will include a minimum four international rugby league fields, an elite standard match venue and a 5000 square metre state of the art Community Facility that will also house a High Performance Centre for the Parramatta Eels.
This historic development will now be supported by $15 million from the Federal Government with the Parramatta Eels and The Hills Shire Council currently finalising designs/proposal for the first stage of the project.The Federal Member for Mitchell, Alex Hawke said the Federal funding was a fantastic investment in our local sporting community from the Morrison Government. “Northwest Sydney has been one of Australia’s fastest growth corridors for decades now and this Federal investment in more playing fields, better sports facilities is vitally needed.
Not only will the Eels programs be right here in Kellyville, but touch teams, women’s team, young people and disability teams. This is a huge win for the Hills District and Western Sydney” Mr Hawke said.
Mr Hawke also acknowledged that the funding in the recent Federal Budget is not contingent upon the outcome of the upcoming Federal election. This important community development has bipartisan support, with the Federal opposition also providing its support for the project.
Mayor of The Hills Shire, Dr Michelle Byrne said, “Council have been working collaboratively with the Parramatta Eels on the vision for a Community and a High Performance Centre that will provide opportunities for our residents to play sport at the highest levels and ensure grassroots rugby league receives the highest standard facilities.
“We look forward to finalising the designs of the project together and working with all the relevant parties in delivering this great vision,” Mayor Byrne added.
The Federal Member for Parramatta, Julie Owens said, “This will be a great project for the whole community, with better facilities for kids playing footy, and we congratulate the club.”
The State Member for Baulkham Hills, David Elliott said, “I’m supportive of the proposal and we are committed to working with the Club to provide this first class facility.”

unnamed.jpg

Parramatta Eels Club CEO, Bernie Gurr thanked the Federal Government for its strong support of Rugby League and said the facility would focus strongly on driving engagement with the Parramatta Eels and the wider community across the Hills District and Western Sydney.

“Today’s announcement is a landmark day for our Club. This project will provide a world-class sporting facility that will enable our NRL team and youth academy programs to be housed in one state of the art venue and enhance our capacity to give back to the community.

“Through our discussions with The Hills Shire Council it quickly became clear that we had an opportunity to build something really special, a place that could cater to the changing needs of one of the fast-growing regions in Australia and increase participation in Rugby League and Touch Football from grassroots all the way up to NRL and NRLW level,” said Mr Gurr.

The new facility will support various community groups such as Wheelchair Rugby League, Try Time and Physical Disability Rugby League, as well as NRL School to Work program which aims to assist Indigenous students with their education and employment outcomes. The new hub will also deliver benefits to multi-cultural communities with a focus on social cohesion and diversity.

Stage 1

Club will transfer its elite programs including the NRL team and the Club’s administration to a new modular training facility.

Stage 2

Completion of an elite match venue to host our current junior representative games and elite women’s rugby league fixtures. Within this venue we will also commence building a 1000 seat grandstand.

Stage 3

Construction of a 5000 square metre Community and High Performance Centre to house state of the art training facilities for Parramatta Eels NRL Men and Women’s teams, Canterbury Cup and Eels Youth Academy for NRL, Touch Football and League Tag teams. The Club will also provide new state of the art facilities for disability, wheelchair and our Try Time Rugby League programs.

The Parramatta Eels and Hills Council have been working closely on ensuring that the proposed facility will significantly increase the number of community users, guarantee that there are enhanced facilities for the local junior league Clubs and that the surrounding residents will benefit from more parklands and free play spaces.

The multi-stage project will promote equality and social inclusion while facilitating greater outcomes for the community and stronger interaction between the Parramatta Eels Club and its community partners.

https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2...lias-largest-community-rugby-league-facility/

emjaycee

Coach

Yep, it has been on the cards for a while now. I knew about Kellyville Park being the proposed site back in October last year, but there was some initial internal delays while we made sure there was no suitable location within Parra City Council area and then finalisation of the agreement with Hills Shire. And finally the Federal Govt. only gave approval on Friday 26th March for the $15M in funding regardless of who wins election.

Nice to know the leaks have pretty much dried up finally.

emjaycee

Coach
what's the issue?
people stay at the hotel and go to the stadium win/win
If they refuse to let us build the hotel because of function rooms clashing with BankWest, I would just announce that we are turning the roof of the carpark into a major function centre and hire some big marquees.,