What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The 64-10 loss must have really clinched it for the board.
What would you do regarding the coach if you were in charge?

I only ever see your criticisms of what you don't like. Interested in what you would do to improve things or would that be akin to posting your season predictions and therefore a no go area?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
What would you do regarding the coach if you were in charge?

I only ever see your criticisms of what you don't like. Interested in what you would do to improve things or would that be akin to posting your season predictions and therefore a no go area?
I just think after 6 seasons he’s had more than a fair enough crack, he’s done all he can but he’s not capable of taking the team to another level which is needed to be a contender.

Perfect example was Saturday night, deep down he believed we couldn’t in so he went with a plan he thought which may limit the damage. Well it backfired the players also thought we couldn’t win and gave up.

He’s been here 6 years and we are still getting beat like that?? What does that say about the cultures and standards he is setting??? And if he is re-signed what does that say about the board??

And I wanted him gone last season, a top class HOF signed and the best possible coach signed. All they did was tick a few boxes with a review. Us being in the 8 is more a reflection on how poor the comp season than us being a decent football side.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I just think after 6 seasons he’s had more than a fair enough crack, he’s done all he can but he’s not capable of taking the team to another level which is needed to be a contender.

Perfect example was Saturday night, deep down he believed we couldn’t in so he went with a plan he thought which may limit the damage. Well it backfired the players also thought we couldn’t win and gave up.

He’s been here 6 years and we are still getting beat like that?? What does that say about the cultures and standards he is setting??? And if he is re-signed what does that say about the board??

And I wanted him gone last season, a top class HOF signed and the best possible coach signed. All they did was tick a few boxes with a review. Us being in the 8 is more a reflection on how poor the comp season than us being a decent football side.
Which HOF and who is the 'best possible coach'?

Tooooks

Bench

I don't think he's had a fair crack. 2014 he inherits a shit roster. 2015, his best player leaves, still has a shit roster, but trying to improve it. 2016 salary cap drama but had the players winning games. In those first three years the club was an absolute basket case. It's only now we have some stable management etc.

I'm happy with a two year extension but if we don't make the 8 in both of those years, he has to go.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Which HOF and who is the 'best possible coach'?
I said last season Brian Smith, he still has a soft spot for the club and there is no one better at rebuilding side.

And as for coach I believe Holbrook is the best available, he has a 79% win rate in Superleague.

A better win % than Robinson and Macguire who both came back to the NRL to win comps.

He also spent time in the junior grades coaching here and knows our systems.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I don't think he's had a fair crack. 2014 he inherits a shit roster. 2015, his best player leaves, still has a shit roster, but trying to improve it. 2016 salary cap drama but had the players winning games. In those first three years the club was an absolute basket case. It's only now we have some stable management etc.

I'm happy with a two year extension but if we don't make the 8 in both of those years, he has to go.
The 2014 roster was much stronger than what Kearney and Pricky had to work with.

I don't buy this thinking that he hasn't had a fair crack
At all.

Des Hasler inherited a mediocre roster at Manly that finished 15th last year and has a horrid injury toll this year.
Yet they are a completely different team under his leadership.
It is amazing the difference.

That team will not lose by 50 this year.

IFR33K

Coach

Lol all the BA huggers will say, but but there’s no better coaches around. Well that wasn’t the case last season was it?

And what a pile of shit that is anyway. Every coach was a rookie somewhere at some point in time. It’s clear as day, BA is mediocre at best. Not possible to go to the next level, but hey, let’s extend him anyways. We will be a mid table team for the next 2-3 years, despite BA recruiting well.

We need a fresh start, with a fresh coach with fresh ideas.

Love BA and his passion for the place, but sat night’s disaster is too much to bear. I have no doubt he’ll make a great assistant but he’s not a head coaches asshole.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't buy this thinking that he hasn't had a fair crack
At all.

Des Hasler inherited a mediocre roster at Manly that finished 15th last year and has a horrid injury toll this year.
Yet they are a completely different team under his leadership.
It is amazing the difference.

That team will not lose by 50 this year.

Hasler also inherited a squad with 3 current Origin and Australian players, yeah fair enough there has been injuries between them. But that’s a lot more quality leadership that BA has ever had in his squad or inherited when he took over in 2014.

Glenneel

Bench
Baz

He has been here since 6 years.
What are you on about ? Besides Bellamy and Robinson who currently has had more consecutive years at one club?
BA has had 6 years to build on and achieved SFA. We've had 50-60 point hidings nearly every year BA has been in charge and made the finals once for 0 wins and came last. Not much of a record to deserve a contract extension.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Lol all the BA huggers will say, but but there’s no better coaches around. Well that wasn’t the case last season was it?

Well Bennett was never going to come to the eels with Souths or Panthers as options last year.

And interestingly the other experienced coach that was available was Macguire, and he recently coached a side to a massive flogging by us!! Additionally he is in charge of squad that the majority of people suggested was better then ours at the start of the year yet they still have the same wins as us!! So based on current form / results Macguire hasn’t done anything great to suggest we should have sacked BA for him.

What other experienced options were available?

Actually Hasler was available, and I reckon he is a good coach and would have been a good option, but that was never going to happen. Additionally we probably wouldn’t have wanted him at our club until we had a good management structure in place, while he can coach he can also f**k up a clubs cap!!