What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

The Realist

Juniors
I am really worried we are going to plunge back into the 2011-13 years...

It's just about a certainty. I think our leadership now is just as bad (and in some ways worse) as the Feltis/Leary/Elliot days. Back then we had a heap of exciting juniors to rall behind and hope for the future. Now we know we are in a hole for the next 4 years.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
How is it a myth? Can you elaborate on this?

Apologies for my grammatical error - I was drunk & upset when reflecting on the team I follow slugging it out for the spoon. Thank you for your careful & considerate correction.

Yes, Dave should walk, it's obvious Ivan is vacuous - he was last time & that has not changed.

I wouldn't use the term "lynch mob", maybe just politely asked to leave, asked to return the office key, take his parking permit, hand back the credit card, withdraw dry cleaning services, return the company car, refuse entry to the box - you know what I mean.

"Investigation into the ENTIRE operations":
- Ivan & Nathan got paid way too much
- Dave blew it by employing Ivan
- Gus got squeezed out after saving the club
- Ivan is not quite an NRL coach (refer to statistics)
End of investigation
Just tell Egan to run from dummy half.

He wants too.

You over complicate.

A proper fullback, you know, tells peeps where to go.

But hey sack the receptionists.

Abacus

Juniors
Nice response from Gus.

Dave sounds like he's trying to convince you he's not having an affair with your wife, while telling you he's rooting her stupid and thinking you won't notice because he's not using the word "affair". Hell, he may have even convinced himself that there's a difference.

I think that Dave thinks he's smarter than he really is. Maybe once he learns to just keep his mouth shut that will be true.

Panther Mick

Juniors
It's just about a certainty. I think our leadership now is just as bad (and in some ways worse) as the Feltis/Leary/Elliot days. Back then we had a heap of exciting juniors to rall behind and hope for the future. Now we know we are in a hole for the next 4 years.

And the time these clowns finally leave we will need a re built.

betcats

Referee
Nice response from Gus.

Dave sounds like he's trying to convince you he's not having an affair with your wife, while telling you he's rooting her stupid and thinking you won't notice because he's not using the word "affair". Hell, he may have even convinced himself that there's a difference.

I think that Dave thinks he's smarter than he really is. Maybe once he learns to just keep his mouth shut that will be true.

Given the amount of (unfair imo)criticism he has received since Griffin got fired last season I think Gus has handled himself with the utmost class throughout this saga. He sure made some mistakes but I'd love to have him back in charge right now, we'd likely be sitting pretty in the top 8 with Wayne as our coach.

BxTom

Bench
Nice response from Gus.

It seems like Gus will not be drawn in to saying anything against the Club, which is admirable, considering he got stabbed in the back by Ivan's mate. I suspect that he wants back in and won't say anything that could be considered as unloyal to the club.

darkbloom

Juniors
How is it a myth? Can you elaborate on this?

Apologies for my grammatical error - I was drunk & upset when reflecting on the team I follow slugging it out for the spoon. Thank you for your careful & considerate correction.

Yes, Dave should walk, it's obvious Ivan is vacuous - he was last time & that has not changed.

I wouldn't use the term "lynch mob", maybe just politely asked to leave, asked to return the office key, take his parking permit, hand back the credit card, withdraw dry cleaning services, return the company car, refuse entry to the box - you know what I mean.

"Investigation into the ENTIRE operations":
- Ivan & Nathan got paid way too much
- Dave blew it by employing Ivan
- Gus got squeezed out after saving the club
- Ivan is not quite an NRL coach (refer to statistics)
End of investigation

The myth created by Gould and promoted by consecutive Chairmen and CEO's is that Panthers was about to fold - the time frame varies from hours to days to weeks - and Gus came along and saved the day.

There was ZERO chance of Panthers folding - the assets held far exceeded the debt. It is true that Panthers was in a tough place but it was well protected due to the business that had been built up over decades but particularly during the 90s and early 2000s.

The rough place that Panthers was in when Gus joined was due to some poor decisions ,starting in 2005.

Now I won't dispute that Gus brought some significant benefits to the club but the story that he saved the club is a myth that should be dispelled.

Wasn't really worried about the grammar - just used to using that reference when a quote contains an error or a typo.

Re: "lynch mob" : what I see is a very emotional response to an unfortunate period in the club. If we were at 5 wins now rather than 2 I doubt whether there would be calls for O'Neill's and Cleary's scalp.

This type of stretch happens to most clubs at some time or other. I agree with the push - more for Oneill than Cleary not on the grounds of how the team is performing but on the grounds that the governance of the club over the last (at least) 7 years has been terrible and caused significant waste of the members'assets and even jeopardise our future.

So, for me the ENTIRE operation extends much further than what you suggest. Extending into things like the Warren Wilson appointment and departure, the sale of Wallacia, the sale of the Mulgoa Rd property, the outsourcing of the gaming operation, the lack of growth in sponsorships, game attendances and game day revenues, the large losses incurred by the football department, etc etc.

Certainly part of that investigation would be about the roles of the the Board, and the senior executives. It confounded me how Gus could have a job that had no real job description - this was admitted on a few occasions by Gus himself and by Fletcher recently when he was commenting on Gus's "redudancy".

On each of the points you make I would say this:

- Ivan and Nathan paid too much; possibly but there are other non-footballing staff that are overpaid by a lot - also the mismanaging means not only overpayments to Ivan but we are still paying oters no longer at the club.
- Dave blew it by employing Ivan - did he blow it because Ivan is no good or because it is just wrong for the Chairman to be employing the coach without consultation. He may have made a mistake by his selection of coach but it showed very poor governance just taking the action.
- Gus got squeezed out after saving the club - I say "saved"is a myth. Gus squeezed himself to to a large extent - he made decisions and took action that were against the Boards wishes (example: extending Hook's contract). The Board had tired of their inability to control Gus and this is why they (or Oneill) took over the recruitment of Cleary behinds Gus's back. They did not want to directly address the problem that Gus had become for them - so they did it very slyly.
- Ivan is not quite an NRL coach - there a few NRL standard coaches, except for the very talented they simply don't last. Personally I think Ivan has the potential to be a good coach - despite the stats so far - but I am just as likely as you are to be wrong in that assessment.

OMG - There's too many words there, sorry.

Oh - one more thing - I do understand and have both empathy and sympathy for your upset and your remedy - I'm there with ya!!

franklin2323

Immortal
Given the amount of (unfair imo)criticism he has received since Griffin got fired last season I think Gus has handled himself with the utmost class throughout this saga. He sure made some mistakes but I'd love to have him back in charge right now, we'd likely be sitting pretty in the top 8 with Wayne as our coach.

Depends if Gus let him coach his way or not

franklin2323

Immortal
I think he would of. Wayne coaches, Gould there to plan for the future(Long term planning is Waynes biggest flaw) it would of been pretty good.

Bennett coaches for now. Gus is always looking ahead so not sure how long it would work for but there is atleast 3 games that a better coach gets us the win. So would of been better off this year atleast

Panther Mick

Juniors
We could have had Bennett for 2 or 3 years than passed the baton to Ciraldo if still available or someone like Adam O'Brien.

That’s the roster Ivan has. He never bought one player to the club.

That quote irks me from Dave O'Neil.

Whare was bought while Ivan was at the club. DWZ and Mansour, RCG, Yeo, and Katoa made their debuts under Ivan.

I know what he means. He is trying to pass the buck of blame that these aren't Ivan's players. He doesn't have the players he needs to succeed.

I think most people thought before a ball was kicked this year we would be top 4 contenders or at the very least a top 8 club with the calibre of players we have. The common belief was Ivan had finally gotten a squad that didn't need a re-build. 'A Blue chip role'. The squad just needed a little tweaking to go to the next level.
I still believe that.
He might be a forward short up front, a bit of speed out wide and a decent hooker till one of Egan/Katoa comes of age, but its still a decent squad.
Has anyone being watching the Sea Eagles backline of the past 2 months with out Turbo & Walker. Who would have though Brad Parker & Brendan Eliot could be competent players with good coaching. The injury- ravaged Sharks keep toiling away. No Graham, SJ, Moylan, Woods etc, no problem the players still have a good dig and the structures that Shane Flanagan had in place ensures that they don't lose matches, you have to rise to beat them.

The lackadaisical approach to training this year has resulted in players that aren't as fit as last year but at least they are happy. (Happy they don't have to train as hard) Throw in a mundane attacking structure and we have a team that is not capable of scoring points. Instead it does extra work in defence tiring them even further. Resulting in bad discipline of dropped balls, penalties conceded (sometimes with possession go figure) and missed tackles.

That is on Ivan.

darkbloom

Juniors
But Dave said 20 years ago the club was $100m in debt and unable to pay its bills!!
@forby ;)

Did Dave have a relationship with the club in 1999?

In those days Panthers was easily the most visited club in teh country and one of the most visited attractions in Sydney - 3 million visitation per year. I heard Brandy a little while ago brag about Panthers getting 1.5 million people through its doors annually. Of course visitations doesn't automatically equate to financial health but I think everyone is aware of how strong the club was.

One of the problems we have is that we have very weak people running the place who unfortunately are also not so smart.

At least with Gus there with all his faults (my opinion only) we had someone who is smart.

Question is, would Gus EVER want to come back?!?

Latest posts