What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones VIII

Game_Breaker

Coach
To be fair, a part of the downvoting is coming from people who fell in love with Dany, (some even went as far as naming their children after her) and are devastated that she has turned.

This is what happens when a fringe genre gets mainstream popularity. The majority of the population isn’t ready to leave their comfort zone for anything other than a Hollywood ending.

I'm glad she went mad queen. The destination wasn't the problem, it was the path they took to get her there

Many people feel it was rushed and they asked too much of the audience to take that leap

I've seen better heel turns in WWE (not even a joke)

SBD82

Coach
I'm glad she went mad queen. The destination wasn't the problem, it was the path they took to get her there

Many people feel it was rushed and they asked too much of the audience to take that leap

I've seen better heel turns in WWE (not even a joke)
Oh. For sure. I’m not talking about people who are complaining about the depth in the writing.

I’m talking about the Dany fan clubs that are losing their shit that she could turn bad at all. Including all sorts of bizarre conspiracy theories.

BennyV

Referee
Oh. For sure. I’m not talking about people who are complaining about the depth in the writing.

I’m talking about the Dany fan clubs that are losing their shit that she could turn bad at all. Including all sorts of bizarre conspiracy theories.
My favourite is the feminist groups bitching about the ‘strongest female character in TV history’ being turned into a villain while the male characters are righteous and strong.

Timbo

Staff member
My favourite is the feminist groups bitching about the ‘strongest female character in TV history’ being turned into a villain while the male characters are righteous and strong.

I do have a slight problem, and I know some here will call me a SJW but if so hey, f**k you anyway.

There were constant references to the Unsullied and Dothraki as savages all throughout the show from Westerosi people but we find out that they're also just good people trying to get by in their own cultural setting. This episode undoes that a bit by saying no actually, they will massacre innocent women and children if told to do so.

I legit think the only reason they included the scene where the Northern soldier stops mid-battle to rape that woman only for Jon to kill him is because of how bad the optics of the episode looked otherwise.

adamkungl

Immortal
I do have a slight problem, and I know some here will call me a SJW but if so hey, f**k you anyway.

There were constant references to the Unsullied and Dothraki as savages all throughout the show from Westerosi people but we find out that they're also just good people trying to get by in their own cultural setting. This episode undoes that a bit by saying no actually, they will massacre innocent women and children if told to do so.

I legit think the only reason they included the scene where the Northern soldier stops mid-battle to rape that woman only for Jon to kill him is because of how bad the optics of the episode looked otherwise.

I think you're taking the wrong conclusion from the right comparison.
That "good" men turn to savages in war is one of the central themes of the series.

After the war of the 5 kings, the Brotherhood Without Banners (Beric Danderrion's crew) formed to help defend the common people against travesties being committed by both "Lions and wolves".
The Northerners have always been just as bad.

nick87

Coach
I think you're taking the wrong conclusion from the right comparison.
That "good" men turn to savages in war is one of the central themes of the series.

After the war of the 5 kings, the Brotherhood Without Banners (Beric Danderrion's crew) formed to help defend the common people against travesties being committed by both "Lions and wolves".
The Northerners have always been just as bad.

Agreed. And as ive said before, what the unsullied and northernmen did was brutal, it was callous and something you dont want to think the "good guys" do and yet is EXACTLY how sackings have always gone in history

the reason you surrendered in history was to avoid the sacking... if you surrender for the most part, your city and your people are spared... once the battle begins and your walls a breached and your city is being sacked, historically, that's pretty much exactly how it goes. Indiscriminate rape and murder, men, women, children, elderly, infirm... none were generally spared. To the victor goes the spoils.

adamkungl

Immortal
My view is that the Iron Throne itself is in a sense, the ultimate evil. Especially since the apocalypse turned out to be a mild cold front lasting a single evening, and the supposed gods don't seem to fussed about much anymore, last episode pending.

Dany reigning in her ruthless streak and winning the throne would not have been a satisfying ending, with this in mind. For some who wanted to see the good guys win and the sisterhood get one over the boys, maybe it would. But like the NK's cheap fall, it would be an empty and fairly worthless way to wrap things up.
Even if Dany proved to be a good and just ruler, the Iron Throne is always only one jumped-up lord or one jealous heir-apparent away from total war. The system breeds rebellions and wars.
The same applies to Jon, if he should take Dany down in the final episode and reluctantly forced into power.

Game of Thrones is a story about a world more than it is any individual character, and anyone 'winning' the game by claiming the throne doesn't resolve a single thing about the world. For some stories, a good king overthrowing a bad one might be a satisfying ending. But this one has always claimed to have more to say about rule and power than a simply good guy beats bad guy = happily ever after.

Generalzod

Immortal
There's a "ReMaKE gAmE oF THroNeS s8" petition.

Plot twist, there is a remake, it's coming out in novel form! Ironically though, no one dumb enough to demand a TV-show gets remade would actually bother to read the books.
Like there was for the Last Jedi

bileduct

Coach
Agreed. And as ive said before, what the unsullied and northernmen did was brutal, it was callous and something you dont want to think the "good guys" do and yet is EXACTLY how sackings have always gone in history
History is bad, mmmkay.

Timbo

Staff member
I don't get why if everyone except D&D wanted more seasons they didn't just keep going ahead with a new showrunner

It just sounds like hubris? They wanted to move on but they also wanted to finish it, and convinced the network they were the best ones to do it.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
yep i am disappoint

would have been so easy and so simple yet so much better for the hound to call cersei a merkin as she walked past him on the stairs before cleganbowl

Latest posts