What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Maybe, I doubt NRL would want the ticket sale hit though, clubs want there money and teh Qland Govt ewants the tourist numbers, doubt 30k are heading to Townsville for it?
It would depend on scheduling but there's no reason it couldn't be shared between the two venues for example - two days at GC two days at Suncorp

Hoofhearted

Juniors
A 3 year contract with the QLD government guarantees the state hosts it, not the venue.

Given the state manages both Cbus and nuTownsville, there's every chance it could visit one of those venues before the contract is up.
Brisbane City Council also contributed money, making sure it stays at Suncorp. Beattie and Greenburg mentioned this at the fans forum Saturday.

Diesel

Coach
Apologise if its been mentioned already but on NRL 360 last night they said that the NRL was very keen to have had the Thursday night game at Dolphin Oval in Redcliffe but they just couldn't get it all worked out in time.
If they want to play a game at Dolphin Oval that sounds like Redcliffe is a front runner for any potential expansion.
Magic round is many positive things for Brisbane and RL and I’m sure part of it was a guage to see how the local folk take to non-Broncos games at Suncorp

Travitoh

First Grade
I reckon this would work for SA/WA

Not really as the time difference would most likely mean sat/sun would have to be WA. Great for them but SA would be a flop as a result as i doubt Adelaide Oval would attract any more than they already do for Thursday/Friday night.

I also feel that it's in the NRL's best interest that games are hosted at a rectangular stadium in the long run in SA.

siv

First Grade
A 3 year contract with the QLD government guarantees the state hosts it, not the venue.

Given the state manages both Cbus and nuTownsville, there's every chance it could visit one of those venues before the contract is up.

But would it survive without government money to pay the clubs who take home games away from their supporter base ?

Anyway only supporters who are willing to spend $500 plus for weekend can enjoy it

Reactions: Vee

Diesel

Coach
Not really as the time difference would most likely mean sat/sun would have to be WA. Great for them but SA would be a flop as a result as i doubt Adelaide Oval would attract any more than they already do for Thursday/Friday night.

I also feel that it's in the NRL's best interest that games are hosted at a rectangular stadium in the long run in SA.
Wasn’t Hindmarsh getting an upgrade or was it talk of anew rectangle stadium?

Diesel

Coach
But would it survive without government money to pay the clubs who take home games away from their supporter base ?

Anyway only supporters who are willing to spend $500 plus for weekend can enjoy it
Governments will pay if they know it’s going to be a boost to the economy. If the Magic Round ran at a loss, which it may have, government funds would’ve made a tidy profit to the NRL

There was an article on nrl.com which spoke of the financial windfall the "home" clubs received from this round. Text of article below -

Magic Round delivers five times what clubs normally bank

Author: Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp: Fri 10 May 2019, 01:08 PM

The NRL has vowed to heed the mistakes of failed Auckland Nines and rugby 10s ventures as its first Magic Round delivers financial windfalls up to five times what clubs would normally bank from hosting games at home.

Brisbane's inaugural Magic Round is tracking to bring over 130,000 fans to Suncorp Stadium over four days, with the Titans-Sharks kicking off the weekend before 17,113 on Thursday night.

NRL.com understands that with $2-3 million in game day revenue projected over round nine, each of the eight clubs that have moved home fixtures will receive around a $270,000 boost to their respective bottom lines.

For a team like the Gold Coast it's a significant cash injection given last year's corresponding game against Cronulla, held on a Saturday night at Cbus Super Stadium, attracted just short of 13,000 and would have delivered the club around $50-60,000.

The investment in the concept by the Queensland government and Brisbane City Council is also paying healthy dividends, with the NRL projecting a $20 million return.

Having been burned by a lacklustre crowd response to the first two editions of rugby's Brisbane 10s event – putting it on hiatus in 2019 – Queensland politicians knocked back the first three Magic Round proposals tabled by the NRL.

CEO Todd Greenberg and his executive team remain mindful of the concept fizzling out in similar fashion to the Auckland Nines, which disappeared from the rugby league calendar in 2017.

Privately the NRL argues Magic Round is viewed as a growth tool and not necessarily a profit generator, as is natural when outsourced to private promoters like Duco, who ran the Nines concept.

In a bid to ensure the event remains sustainable, head office will push for next year's Magic Round to be held across three days having bowed to Channel Nine's insistence on keeping a Thursday night game as scheduled.

Negotiations will continue around how the round plays out in 2020, which will return to Brisbane under the NRL's initial two-year commitment to the Queensland government.

The Government and Council then have the option to keep Magic Round in the Sunshine State for a further two years afterwards.

Locations including Perth, Melbourne, Auckland and exotic overseas options like the US, Hong Kong and Singapore are all being kept in mind further down the track.

Travitoh

First Grade
Wasn’t Hindmarsh getting an upgrade or was it talk of anew rectangle stadium?

Adelaide United are desperate for a new stadium but currently average about 10k over 15 games or whatever it is per season. Hardly cause for the govt to give funding for a new ground.

The only way it happens is if Adelaide gets regular NRL fixtures or Australia hosts a FIFA World Cup.

Vee

First Grade

What a blow for Sydney fans who have multiple options to watch footy live every weekend.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

If you're even remotely observant you'll know each of the eight "home" teams of magic weekend are clubs who already take home games away from their supporter bases.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
If you're even remotely observant you'll know each of the eight "home" teams of magic weekend are clubs who already take home games away from their supporter bases.
He’s obviously not though, there is no pleasing some people. They will keep moving the goal posts. All the people I know loved the event and want to do it next year, along with other people convinced to go along after missing out.

And for those supporters who can’t afford to go, there are plenty of football games in Sydney to attend. There will always be people who can’t afford things it’s a stupid argument and I’ve held my breath so far but I just couldn’t let that go.

T-Boon

Coach
Brisbane City Council also contributed money, making sure it stays at Suncorp. Beattie and Greenburg mentioned this at the fans forum Saturday.

Newcastle has mentioned they would be keen on it and think it would be a big success for the town and code. I think Councils will start looking into this.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Didn't the QLD Gov pay $2.1 Million? If so that pretty much covers off on the payments to the clubs for taking their home game there. Then the NRL just keep the profits from the ticket sales.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Didn't the QLD Gov pay $2.1 Million? If so that pretty much covers off on the payments to the clubs for taking their home game there. Then the NRL just keep the profits from the ticket sales.

Revenue
$3mill Q’land Govt
?545k ticket sales
Corporate sales

Expense
$2.16mill to clubs
Promotion costs
Hire of stadium
All the round the stadium activities and entertainment

Still would have made a nice profit I’d expect.

Latest posts