What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M voting system is a stitch up

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Evidence

B Hunt 7 points
K Ponga 6

I rest my case

Does the system need an overhaul? IMHO blimmin Fantasy NRL has clearer and fairer scoring models than the 3 point system.

Well RTS, as good as he is wasn't the best player in the NRL last year, maybe top 5 at a stretch. He cleaned up last season as he was sorrounded by a bunch of nuffies. There were better players who were sharing points with team mates.

I have a similar issue with Nearly NRL (fantasy comp). Every time a team wins you can guarantee close to the same three guys will get the points, popularity contest and nothing else. Joke

Haffa

Well RTS, as good as he is wasn't the best player in the NRL last year, maybe top 5 at a stretch. He cleaned up last season as he was sorrounded by a bunch of nuffies. There were better players who were sharing points with team mates.
Pearce wins it last season if he doesn’t get injured. He will probably come close to winning it this season too.

Sphagnum

Coach
It should be awarded to whoever can kill the most zombies in CoD without bashing any innocent women or children for interrupting them

We all know it is crook. Main reason is the judges are either from News Ltd/Fox Sports or Channel 9. They all have a tendency to look at the "flashier" players, which is why the players who are up high on the leader board are usually players who play in the spine (i.e. fullback, five eight, halfback and hooker). Also some of them, you do question their judgement or any inherent bias.

Things the criteria is so subjective it can cruel some players. For example, a team can win in 30 margin thumping, yet one judge will give a 1 or 2 point to someone on the losing team, whilst in a similar game another judge will give all the points to players on the same team.

As someone else said, giving ratings to all 17 players on each team, ala Rugby League Week, would be a fairer system.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
3 2 1s are fine when judging the best player for the season within a team because it doesn't matter if players take points off each other, in fact that is the whole point.

It doesn't work in a comp wide best player award because it is too easy for any one player to be sabotaged by their own team mates meaning they might get less points than they ordinarily would. case in point being Farah/Benji al those years at wests.

Just rate each player out of 10, 5 or whatever for each game and you ave a true reflection of the best players in a given season.

Springs09

Juniors
The main problem is it doesn't reward consistency. A player like Mitch Moses or Ash Taylor can have blinders against 3 shit sides and play rubbish every other game and get 9 points. An 80 minute forward can make 200 metres and 40 tackles every game and get 1 point maybe here or there.

RLW had players like Hindmarsh, Gallen and Parker win.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
We all know it is crook. Main reason is the judges are either from News Ltd/Fox Sports or Channel 9. They all have a tendency to look at the flashier" players, which is why the players who are up high on the leader board are usually players who play in the spine (i.e. fullback, five eight, halfback and hooker). Also some of them, you do question their judgement or any inherent bias.

Things the criteria is so subjective it can cruel some players. For example, a team can win in 30 margin thumping, yet one judge will give a 1 or 2 point to someone on the losing team, whilst in a similar game another judge will give all the points to players on the same team.

As someone else said, giving ratings to all 17 players on each team, ala Rugby League Week, would be a fairer system.
And whilst I prefer the graded every game system, it will still require judges, people would still complain about the scores given.

They killed the rothams where the ref judged.

Hell check any team forum, people rarely agree on their own teams 3-2-1.

I can only imagine the difference rating every player in every game would have just in one forum.

This award is for outstanding performance, only 3 of 34 players get points.

It is not a consistency award, hence guys like Moses poll well or guys in crap teams.

Maybe we should just let the Furher pick. One judge above them all.