What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M voting system is a stitch up

Perth Red

Post Whore
And whilst I prefer the graded every game system, it will still require judges, people would still complain about the scores given.

They killed the rothams where the ref judged.

Hell check any team forum, people rarely agree on their own teams 3-2-1.

I can only imagine the difference rating every player in every game would have just in one forum.

This award is for outstanding performance, only 3 of 34 players get points.

It is not a consistency award, hence guys like Moses poll well or guys in crap teams.

Maybe we should just let the Furher pick. One judge above them all.

Maybe the coach should rate his own teams top five or similar each game? Who better to know which players are putting in and making the difference?

Springs09

Juniors
And whilst I prefer the graded every game system, it will still require judges, people would still complain about the scores given.

They killed the rothams where the ref judged.

Hell check any team forum, people rarely agree on their own teams 3-2-1.

I can only imagine the difference rating every player in every game would have just in one forum.

This award is for outstanding performance, only 3 of 34 players get points.

It is not a consistency award, hence guys like Moses poll well or guys in crap teams.

Maybe we should just let the Furher pick. One judge above them all.

That's a better system though, several people judging. Even out here in amateur bush footy we get 3 judges and those with the most votes get the 3-2-1.

And a best player of the year award by definition should include consistency.

adamkungl

Immortal
Not saying this is a feasible idea, but I'm interested to see how it pans out.

This is what the ladder looks like if every player in a winning team is given a point, on top of the existing 3-2-1.
It's a pretty simple way to remove the flaw of players in top teams cannibalising each other. Winning matters.

Cameron Munster 22
Cameron Smith 20
James Tedesco 20
Damien Cook 20
Sam Burgess 19
Cody Walker 19
Adam Reynolds 17
Mitchell Pearce 17
Siosiua Taukeiaho 17
John Bateman 15
Clinton Gutherson 15
Chad Townsend 15
Luke Keary 15
Latrell Mitchell 15
Mitchell Moses 14
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 13
Robbie Farah 13
Josh Papalii 13
Daly Cherry-Evans 13
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 13
Cameron Murray 13
Jake Trbojevic 12
Martin Taupau 12
David Klemmer 12
Paul Vaughan 12
Jason Taumalolo 12
Boyd Cordner 12
Jahrome Hughes 12
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 12
Nelson Asofa-Solomona 11
Anthony Milford 11
Ben Hunt 11
Payne Haas 11
Andrew Fifita 11
Luke Brooks 11
Benji Marshall 11
Kalyn Ponga 11
Josh Hodgson 11
Ryan Papenhuyzen 11
Jack Wighton 10
Daniel Tupou 10
Dale Finucane 10
Blake Green 10
Ryan Matterson 10

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
That's a better system though, several people judging. Even out here in amateur bush footy we get 3 judges and those with the most votes get the 3-2-1.

Ok so you want more judges, or say a panel of 17 people to give a rating of every player in every game.

Who picks the judges and finds the sponsor to pay for them?

I don't want to be a judge, I don't want to watch every game.

BadnMean

Juniors
Ok so you want more judges, or say a panel of 17 people to give a rating of every player in every game.

Who picks the judges and finds the sponsor to pay for them?

I don't want to be a judge, I don't want to watch every game.

Where could we find 17 people to judge who played well at a game of footy I wonder?

BranVan3000

Coach
Not saying this is a feasible idea, but I'm interested to see how it pans out.

This is what the ladder looks like if every player in a winning team is given a point, on top of the existing 3-2-1.
It's a pretty simple way to remove the flaw of players in top teams cannibalising each other. Winning matters.

Cameron Munster 22
Cameron Smith 20
James Tedesco 20
Damien Cook 20
Sam Burgess 19
Cody Walker 19
Adam Reynolds 17
Mitchell Pearce 17
Siosiua Taukeiaho 17
John Bateman 15
Clinton Gutherson 15
Chad Townsend 15
Luke Keary 15
Latrell Mitchell 15
Mitchell Moses 14
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 13
Robbie Farah 13
Josh Papalii 13
Daly Cherry-Evans 13
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 13
Cameron Murray 13
Jake Trbojevic 12
Martin Taupau 12
David Klemmer 12
Paul Vaughan 12
Jason Taumalolo 12
Boyd Cordner 12
Jahrome Hughes 12
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 12
Nelson Asofa-Solomona 11
Anthony Milford 11
Ben Hunt 11
Payne Haas 11
Andrew Fifita 11
Luke Brooks 11
Benji Marshall 11
Kalyn Ponga 11
Josh Hodgson 11
Ryan Papenhuyzen 11
Jack Wighton 10
Daniel Tupou 10
Dale Finucane 10
Blake Green 10
Ryan Matterson 10
I like it. Simple but effective

I always remember 2013 as an example of how stuffed up the Dally M Judges were. For the Roosters, the judges over the course of the season had awarded more points to Boyd Cordner than Sonny Bill-Williams. This was shown by the fact that Cordner was awarded the Second Rower of the year award. Even Cordner was embarrassed as no one could deny, who'd seen the Roosters play all year, that SBW was the better of the pair with his play in attack and defence that year.

People are not talking all about it being the "Mr Consistent" Award. Merely that because the judges look at the flashy players in attack, they are only acknowledging one aspect of the game in their judging. Attack is the easier part of the game. Defence is the hardest part of the game bar none, yet is often ignored by Dally M Judges.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
As someone else said, giving ratings to all 17 players on each team, ala Rugby League Week, would be a fairer system.

The only problem with that system is that it awarded durability as much as performance. You could be the best player and miss 4 games and it will he hard to beat other players who play every match of the season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In this day and age of technology maybe fox sports fans can live vote in last 20mins of games. Would add a new entertainment fan engagement opportunity to games.

The only problem with that system is that it awarded durability as much as performance. You could be the best player and miss 4 games and it will he hard to beat other players who play every match of the season.

What's the point then if the player who wins the award only plays in say 50% of their club's games because they are out injured? It is about their contribution over the current season, not are they the best currently playing. It is that kind of thinking (i.e. the best currently playing) which results in things like JT winning the Clive Churchill Medal for the 2015 Grand Final when by his own words he didn't deserve it.

Peet

Juniors
Should be one Dally M ranking for backs and one for forwards, some of the grunts arent getting the recognition they deserve.

Nepotism is rank, no player who has played for a certain club should be judging a game with that club playing.
Is Bob Fulton (the king of nepotism) a judge?

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
What's the point then if the player who wins the award only plays in say 50% of their club's games because they are out injured? It is about their contribution over the current season, not are they the best currently playing. It is that kind of thinking (i.e. the best currently playing) which results in things like JT winning the Clive Churchill Medal for the 2015 Grand Final when by his own words he didn't deserve it.

Since when has 4/24 equaled 50%? You just took my point way out of context, which makes me think you didn't have a rebuttal to it in the first place. The most valuable player is rarely going to be the guy who played all the games. Your next counter to my argument about JT and the Clive Churchill Medal made no sense at all.

Is Bob Fulton (the king of nepotism) a judge?

The stories I've heard about how the 2013 Clive Churchill Medalist was decided so early, and reportedly what Fulton was walking around the members area during the second half saying to anyone in earshot would leave me to believe so.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Dally M is worthless,it only means something when im arguing that Jarryd Hayne is the greatest player ever cos he won two of the stupid things

AJB1102

First Grade
The stories I've heard about how the 2013 Clive Churchill Medalist was decided so early, and reportedly what Fulton was walking around the members area during the second half saying to anyone in earshot would leave me to believe so.

They always decide it before fulltime which is ridiculous.

I think there was more politics involved but that was the reason given as to why Fifita didn't get the CC in 2016. Love Luke Lewis but Fifita won that GF.

Most awards now are just popularity contests.