What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 2K19 Discussion

unKwn

Juniors
Cleary’s been picked. Lots of eyes on him now. NSW lose and he becomes the obvious scapegoat.

mxlegend99

Referee
Has the incumbent half of a winning series ever been so hated for being picked again?

His form isn't great. But it's not horrible either.

Throw in Keary and Pearce being ruled out. Along with Reynolds being injured and probably not fit to train for a great period of the camp. I think Fittler had to pick him regardless of what he wanted.

It's easy though... Keary and Reynolds will be fit for Game 2. Anything less than an 8/10 from Cleary in a winning side gets him replaced. If we win and he sucks. I think Keary comes straight in for him.

I think a Keary / Walker haves combo playing off this pack and Cook... would have some serious points in them.

Panfa

Juniors
Congratulations to cleary he will play well in a nsw team thats got great players in form around him.Itwill be good for him he will come back a much better confident player just please dont get injured.

Flashstep

Juniors
Not picking Ferguson is a pretty big mistake, he’s been the best winger in the Comp by a fair distance for the last 2 seasons, and considering our bench is pretty light we’re gonna need some big metres from the backs which is Ferguson’s biggest strength, Cotric is a good player but has been pretty quiet this season.

As for Cleary being picked this could be a disaster considering the fans and the media hate Penrith with a passion right now and therefore hate Cleary, if NSW lose game 1 he will get torn to shreds which is the last thing we need right now, I hope he has a big game but it’s going to be tough with all the pressure he’s under.

kinghippo

Juniors
Not picking Ferguson is a pretty big mistake, he’s been the best winger in the Comp by a fair distance for the last 2 seasons, and considering our bench is pretty light we’re gonna need some big metres from the backs which is Ferguson’s biggest strength, Cotric is a good player but has been pretty quiet this season.

As for Cleary being picked this could be a disaster considering the fans and the media hate Penrith with a passion right now and therefore hate Cleary, if NSW lose game 1 he will get torn to shreds which is the last thing we need right now, I hope he has a big game but it’s going to be tough with all the pressure he’s under.
Ferguson should definitely have been in, and anyone besides josh morris. Cotric could have been picked in the centres.
The anti Cleary vibe is heavy.
I am actually a bit worried by it.
He really doesn’t deserve it and as said by a few already he has been locked and loaded as the scapegoat.
All the media announcements have started with despite being terribly out of form ....
There is a lot riding on some very young shoulders at the moment and as cool as he seems he will be feeling it.

Flashstep

Juniors
Ferguson should definitely have been in, and anyone besides josh morris. Cotric could have been picked in the centres.
The anti Cleary vibe is heavy.
I am actually a bit worried by it.
He really doesn’t deserve it and as said by a few already he has been locked and loaded as the scapegoat.
All the media announcements have started with despite being terribly out of form ....
There is a lot riding on some very young shoulders at the moment and as cool as he seems he will be feeling it.

The Morris selection isn’t to bad since I reckon he’s just filling in until T Turbo comes back for origin 2 plus he’s been in decent form and always stepped up for NSW before.

But you’re spot on about Cleary, you’d think after years of driving Pearce into the dirt the media/fans would get behind their players especially their halfback but instead they all think he’s destined to fail and when he does they won’t let him forget it, like you said he’s the scapegoat if things go wrong and considering all of the pressure Cleary is already under it could really hinder his future development.

mxlegend99

Referee
I think there's more upside than down for Cleary being picked.

If he wasn't picked... it means he was dropped for form. So if we drop him for Game 2 after having a shocker I don't seehow it is any worse than not being picked at all.

Media have already been crucifying him so that doesn't change much either.

If he has a good game and enjoys a win that's boing to give him confidence he doesn't have at the moment and really stick it to the media and fans bagging him.

I think worst case he's about the same whether picked or not. But best case can be good for him. I expect him to be a solid 6 or 7 out of 10. For Cook, Walker etc to kill it and be left uncertain on what to do about Keary/Cleary for Game 2.

unKwn

Juniors
Cleary to miss the first field goal attempt at the 76th minute, then snaps one on the buzzer to win the game 13-12, you heard it here first!

The Realist

Juniors
I find it humorous that our 'Star' Halfback being selected for Representative duties gives us our best Halves combo. Yes I have said it. At this stage of their careers Maloney>Cleary as an out and out halfback. Laui is also a better 5/8 than Cleary.

Maloney was the true halfback in last years origin series no matter what his jersey said, and he basically carried Nathan in all the games. In saying that I can't wait for Maloney to be shipped off.

Personally I would have preferred if Nathan was not selected, as that would have motivated him to prove all the doubters wrong and win back his spot. Had Keary/Reynolds/Pearce not been injured I don't think it was possible to justifiably select Nathan, but he done a Steve Bradbury for the spot. I hope he does well.

On the Bright side we get to see more of Laui and Maloney play his best position (for us).

franklin2323

Immortal
I find it humorous that our 'Star' Halfback being selected for Representative duties gives us our best Halves combo. Yes I have said it. At this stage of their careers Maloney>Cleary as an out and out halfback. Laui is also a better 5/8 than Cleary.

Maloney was the true halfback in last years origin series no matter what his jersey said, and he basically carried Nathan in all the games. In saying that I can't wait for Maloney to be shipped off.

Personally I would have preferred if Nathan was not selected, as that would have motivated him to prove all the doubters wrong and win back his spot. Had Keary/Reynolds/Pearce not been injured I don't think it was possible to justifiably select Nathan, but he done a Steve Bradbury for the spot. I hope he does well.

On the Bright side we get to see more of Laui and Maloney play his best position (for us).

I agree with all of this

Fangs

Coach
I'll back NSW in game 1. But not by much.

Damien Cook is in extremely good form. Close to the best player in the world right now. He can get us the win. Walker/Tedesco also killing it. Not a big fan of our bench but a couple debutants who will be itching for minutes plus others who got it done last year. It will be a confident NSW side.

QLD are packed with playmakers. They have Morgan and Hunt playing out of position + Mybe on the bench. If Cherry-Evans is allowed to lead and the rest do what they are told they will come close. Very scared of Ponga.

As for the Panthers, Cleary will get to remember what its like to be in a good football team again. Hopefully it rubs off on him and he brings it back to club level to inspire the rest of his team.

martielang

Bench
I think NSW win comfortably imo. I think the forward pack is just too superior & while they have ponga & Munster, I think Cook, Walker & Tedesco behind a dominate pack will more than outweigh those two guys.

Now watch QLD win by 30.

mxlegend99

Referee
The only scary part of that Queensland team is Ponga and Munster. We have the same talent in Tedesco and Walker... but Walker is not yet proven at this level so we can't know if he will bring club form or not.

They have us at halfback . We havethem at hooker. The rest of the teams are pretty closely balanced IMO.

kinghippo

Juniors
I think Nsw are a lot weaker this year than last. Morris is a poor selection and I am not a big fan of the bench, Crichton is offering nothing this year.
Haas and Murray have potential but it’s tough in the middle for SOS and they are newbies.
I know Wighton is playing decent but the guy has plenty of errors in him.
I think it will be a very close game.

OldPanther

Coach
The reason we are good with Luai at 6 is because Maloney and Cleary clash. They are both controlling halves whereas Luai is a running half which complements them.