What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Africa

Shark62

Juniors
Problem is Adam that rugby league in South Africa hasn’t progressed. It’s been an open door for our game left ajar by useless administrators who can’t see potential when it’s staring them in the face.
If the arl got off it’s ass and put some effort into developing the game there we might have something to talk about.

taipan

Referee
Problem is Adam that rugby league in South Africa hasn’t progressed. It’s been an open door for our game left ajar by useless administrators who can’t see potential when it’s staring them in the face.
If the arl got off it’s ass and put some effort into developing the game there we might have something to talk about.

The main reason it hasn't progressed,I understand is due to the fact there is only one recognised rugby code under SASCOR.And one or two people on that body are ru people..They decide.
Thus Govt grants are not forthcoming.You can have decent administrators and the rl ones no doubt are volunteers, so in effect you are struggling to get past first base.
Yes rugby league is played there,
but in small numbers, and that has been the position for some time.
It's not the ARL,its the ARLC. Anycase it's the remit of the RLIF to develop the game .
The ARLC is involved with the Australian and Pacific Region. Anycase if the ARLC had $200m in the Bank, they would be able to do something worthwhile

Shark62

Juniors
The main reason it hasn't progressed,I understand is due to the fact there is only one recognised rugby code under SASCOR.And one or two people on that body are ru people..They decide.
Thus Govt grants are not forthcoming.You can have decent administrators and the rl ones no doubt are volunteers, so in effect you are struggling to get past first base.
Yes rugby league is played there,
but in small numbers, and that has been the position for some time.
It's not the ARL,its the ARLC. Anycase it's the remit of the RLIF to develop the game .
The ARLC is involved with the Australian and Pacific Region. Anycase if the ARLC had $200m in the Bank, they would be able to do something worthwhile
These are standard excuses I’m sorry. If the code was really serious about getting the game going there then the president or whatever he is of the Rlif and Beattie should get over there and talk to the government about putting rugby league pathways in place promoting it as an inclusive sport.

taipan

Referee
These are standard excuses I’m sorry. If the code was really serious about getting the game going there then the president or whatever he is of the Rlif and Beattie should get over there and talk to the government about putting rugby league pathways in place promoting it as an inclusive sport.

You know the influence of SASCOS? If it were that simple with limited funding ,we wouldn't be arguing.
Ask yourself why league in France struggled for decades, with no recognition,no Govt grants, not school access.
That's why the Norwegian rugby league was thrilled to be recognised recently, by the official sporting body similar I believe to SASCOS ,which rl comes under the rugby umbrella.That opens the sport to gain access to schools and grants.
And the WRU with all their funding ,has been neglecting the Pacific Islands.

The ARLC has about $40m in the bank from 2018 profits.The ARU had a similar amount post 2003 and blew the lot in a few years with little to show for it.There is talk of NRL expansion in 2023, there is uncertainty about Tv in the same period, we have a women's comp, grassroots, Fiji state cup team.Every man and his dog wants a slice of the money.
I'd like a strong SA RL team, and a strong French rl team, but show me the money.

Last edited:

Shark62

Juniors
You know the influence of SASCOS? If it were that simple with limited funding ,we wouldn't be arguing.
Ask yourself why league in France struggled for decades, with no recognition,no Govt grants, not school access.
That's why the Norwegian rugby league was thrilled to be recognised recently, by the official sporting body similar I believe to SASCOS ,which rl comes under the rugby umbrella.That opens the sport to gain access to schools and grants.
And the WRU with all their funding ,has been neglecting the Pacific Islands.

The ARLC has about $40m in the bank from 2018 profits.The ARU had a similar amount post 2003 and blew the lot in a few years with little to show for it.There is talk of NRL expansion in 2023, there is uncertainty about Tv in the same period, we have a women's comp, grassroots, Fiji state cup team.Every man and his dog wants a slice of the money.
I'd like a strong SA RL team, and a strong French rl team, but show me the money.
Sorry I don’t accept those arguments. We’ve been saying this for decades. What is missing is commitment and effort from the governing bodies.

taipan

Referee
Sorry I don’t accept those arguments. We’ve been saying this for decades. What is missing is commitment and effort from the governing bodies.

Whether you accept them or not, they are the facts.
Norway is an example of what happens ,when constraints are taken away from rugby league,and is officially recognised as a sport in its own right.
The SARL ATM is not afforded that luxury.

Stallion

First Grade
Jeez fellas get the chips off your shoulders. It’s 2019 not 1972.

No chips on those blokes shoulders! It's absolutely a fact that union is still repressing rugby league in more ways than you care to imagine. A current example is the continued opposition to rugby league being recognised as an international sport by the GSAIF body. This stops rugbyleague being recognised by many governments with respects to funding. It's a massive impediment. If the question were asked "Why isn't rugby league more popular worldwide? " One of the answers comes from union tactics of repression such as mentioned. Their are other tactics being used by union. The other main reason is poor internal administration of the rugby league : which may or may not be deliberate pending on how you look at it. Weakening the code from the inside is another way of keeping it down by some observers.

Shark62

Juniors
Whether you accept them or not, they are the facts.
Norway is an example of what happens ,when constraints are taken away from rugby league,and is officially recognised as a sport in its own right.
The SARL ATM is not afforded that luxury.
For the game to seriously move forward I would hope the international body would ignore the past and start approaching these countries afresh.
I don’t disagree with you necessarily. I’m just not sure it’s productive for the game to focus on past malevolent acts by the rah rahs.
If our administrators actually took international development seriously with a clear strategy I think most of this union interference would become irrelevant to be honest.
The game is too good to be held back by amateur theatrics by union administrators in countries like South Africa.

taipan

Referee
For the game to seriously move forward I would hope the international body would ignore the past and start approaching these countries afresh.
I don’t disagree with you necessarily. I’m just not sure it’s productive for the game to focus on past malevolent acts by the rah rahs.
If our administrators actually took international development seriously with a clear strategy I think most of this union interference would become irrelevant to be honest.
The game is too good to be held back by amateur theatrics by union administrators in countries like South Africa.

The past in South Africa is the present.SASCOS ,operates today 2019.Perhaps you can speak to them to drag themselves into the future, so rugby league is given the recognition as an independent sport as it deserves ,so the game can in fact grow and receive Govt grants as a recognised sport in its own right.
I understand rugby union is king there, and soccer is the most popular sport.But that's not the point.
Think you need to keep up with the situation.

Shark62

Juniors
The past in South Africa is the present.SASCOS ,operates today 2019.Perhaps you can speak to them to drag themselves into the future, so rugby league is given the recognition as an independent sport as it deserves ,so the game can in fact grow and receive Govt grants as a recognised sport in its own right.
I understand rugby union is king there, and soccer is the most popular sport.But that's not the point.
Think you need to keep up with the situation.
Why are we discussing football and rugby? This should be about the rlif going to sa and engaging with the government about developing opportunities.