What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

It will without a doubt affect their next TV deal as their really is no need for these 2 expansion clubs, and when you look at the stills from the game there can't have been any more than 2,000 people there.

It even look worse, crowd wise for the Giants, when you realise there were no NRL games on competing with them in Sydney. They had the whole day to themselves and could only muster a crowd of approx. 7,000? That is rubbish and says how uninterested most Sydney-siders are in them.

j5o6hn

Juniors
It even look worse, crowd wise for the Giants, when you realise there were no NRL games on competing with them in Sydney. They had the whole day to themselves and could only muster a crowd of approx. 7,000? That is rubbish and says how uninterested most Sydney-siders are in them.
Try 2000 there is no approximate about it

In all honesty there wasn't even half that number, and also as well of the crowd who turned up i suspect quite a few had freebies.
The midgets and thuns are huge financial black-holes for Vicky Kicky house and a reduced TV deal will probably see both go to the wall.

insert.pause

First Grade
The AFL had 3 games broadcast across 5 markets yesterday on FTA for a total national FTA audience of 656k (486 metro, 170 reg), while the NRL had one game for a total national FTA audience of 544k (316k metro, 228k reg).

Add in STV simulcasting and the total national audience for 3 AFL games yesterday was 1.053m, while the 1 NRL game had a total audience of 758k.

Starkers

Bench
without trying to go OT, push is on for a Tassie team in AFL again ... perhaps they scrap GC and go with Hobart? i don't see it doing any worse and Tassie actually wants a team.

without trying to go OT, push is on for a Tassie team in AFL again ... perhaps they scrap GC and go with Hobart? i don't see it doing any worse and Tassie actually wants a team.

For sure a Tassie team wouldn't be the financial black hole that either the midgets or the thuns are. It would save Vicky Kicky house a fortune

Perth Red

Post Whore
You seem to be missing the big point which is AFL needed two more clubs to get a bigger TV deal. They claim the extra games is worth $54mill a year. Last year the two new clubs cost them $45million. They may be financial black holes but they are still earning more than they are costing, hence why the other clusb arent blowing up.

Maybe if the NRL had sunk $30mill a year into Brisbane2 and Perth in 2017 we would have had a bigger 18-22 TV deal that more than paid for it?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You seem to be missing the big point which is AFL needed two more clubs to get a bigger TV deal. They claim the extra games is worth $54mill a year. Last year the two new clubs cost them $45million. They may be financial black holes but they are still earning more than they are costing, hence why the other clusb arent blowing up.

Maybe if the NRL had sunk $30mill a year into Brisbane2 and Perth in 2017 we would have had a bigger 18-22 TV deal that more than paid for it?

I think the issue for the AFL will be, what happens if the next TV deal is worth less than the current one? Then we'll see how committed they are to teams that no one asked for and no one wants.

Starkers

Bench
I think the issue for the AFL will be, what happens if the next TV deal is worth less than the current one? Then we'll see how committed they are to teams that no one asked for and no one wants.
Yeah, both make fair points here.

I think we are about to see the result of paying for potential with Super Rugby's next deal and then the AFL might get a shock. They'll have 2 years to work out how to fix it, but there's no chance on these numbers that they will retain that uplift.

And we need to remember this is a season when the Titans are running 2nd last v the Suns in the same position in AFL. The Titans v Cowboys (who aren't going much better) drew 214k on Fox.

GWS are running 2nd on the ladder and have consistently been in finals contention throughout their history. But the best NRL team in Western Sydney right now is Parra.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I think you could say the same for any sport that is heavily reliant on tv funding. The NRL has committed a significant % of its revenue to club grants this deal, what happens if they have to cut it because we get a lower deal? Neither of the major sports has seen a reduction in TV deal for three decades, it might happen I suppose but there is no evidence it will.

Canard

Immortal
Yeah, both make fair points here.

I think we are about to see the result of paying for potential with Super Rugby's next deal and then the AFL might get a shock. They'll have 2 years to work out how to fix it, but there's no chance on these numbers that they will retain that uplift.

And we need to remember this is a season when the Titans are running 2nd last v the Suns in the same position in AFL. The Titans v Cowboys (who aren't going much better) drew 214k on Fox.

GWS are running 2nd on the ladder and have consistently been in finals contention throughout their history. But the best NRL team in Western Sydney right now is Parra.

Another point, is that a lot of NRL fans are conditioned to needing Pay TV to watch the game for almost 25 years now.

Especially in regional QLD, FTA Rugby League was limited or non-existent and the advent of Austar(now Foxtel) in the mid 90s was a godsend. So it's ingrained culturally now. In AFL territory it's not been around as long and nowhere near as vital.

Latest posts