What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terminating Contracts

Chimp

Juniors
I see Tim Grant has 'terminated' his contract esrly at Penrith. Contract was up at the end of the year and needs pectoral surgery so likely out for the rest of the year, so out of the goodness of his heart, had agreed to terminate his contract and forgo his salary, allowing the Panthers to use his salary for a replacement.
Either a very noble and honourable thing to do, or a crock of sh*t way of rorting the cap that the NRL have now given the green light on following the Inglis decision.
Think we will see this happen a lot now where players have serious injuries or loss of form at the back end of careers. Once they're retired, they can be paid a lump sum from any organisation as the NRL would have no right to audit money they receive as an individual.

soc123_au

Staff member
Its about freeing up a top 30 spot for Kenny. The cap doesnt come into it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Penrith's media release was *very* careful to reiterate it was Grant's decision, something definitely doesn't look right about it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Need an injury waver like nfl. If player long term injured comes off the cap and 30 man squad. Will give more chances to fringe players.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Penrith's media release was *very* careful to reiterate it was Grant's decision, something definitely doesn't look right about it.

Well they probably talked to him, and Grant said he waxn't going to go around again. I'm sure Penrith knew this and thought as long as he is covered medically (and probably some sort of role assisting juniors or something to make up for the shortfall of money), it would be great if he retired.

I will be honest. I don't see a problem with that. Though the NRL should mandate that you must stay retired for at least 12mths otherwise all salary etc gets applied to that clubs salary cap or something

Well they probably talked to him, and Grant said he waxn't going to go around again. I'm sure Penrith knew this and thought as long as he is covered medically (and probably some sort of role assisting juniors or something to make up for the shortfall of money), it would be great if he retired.

I will be honest. I don't see a problem with that. Though the NRL should mandate that you must stay retired for at least 12mths otherwise all salary etc gets applied to that clubs salary cap or something

Grant did say that he wasn't specifically retiring, just that he was terminating his contract as it was only a 1 year deal anyway.

He won't be ending his contract without being paid what was owed. No player on minimum salary at the end of their career would do that.

Chimp

Juniors
Grant did say that he wasn't specifically retiring, just that he was terminating his contract as it was only a 1 year deal anyway.

He won't be ending his contract without being paid what was owed. No player on minimum salary at the end of their career would do that.
Officially he will be, though I'm sure he wont end up out of pocket.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Actually that's a pretty good way to rort the cap come to think of it! Send the GF into the club, she wins a few grand each month on rigged machines. Untraceable. Don't tell the Eels!

Latest posts