What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

PhilGould

Bench
Buzz Rothfield pushing for Daniel Saifiti to be on the Blues bench for game 2.

Edit: wrong thread

Last edited:

newyboy

Juniors
If he leaves, we riot.
Not if he is demanding more money (Contract upgrade) as reported. He signed a contract for x amount, that's life. If the knights want to make if above market contract for the new one, then so be it. But if he is demanding an upgrade, i would show him the door. Or he comes out and says it was his manager being a shit stain and he has been sacked.

It does not show good character if it's true. As Freddy said, the knights took a gamble and where do they win? What if he turned out to be a bomb, do you think he would repay the money?

aqua_duck

Coach
Not if he is demanding more money (Contract upgrade) as reported. He signed a contract for x amount, that's life. If the knights want to make if above market contract for the new one, then so be it. But if he is demanding an upgrade, i would show him the door. Or he comes out and says it was his manager being a shit stain and he has been sacked.

It does not show good character if it's true. As Freddy said, the knights took a gamble and where do they win? What if he turned out to be a bomb, do you think he would repay the money?
Exactly. I could understand if he was heading into the final year of his current deal but he's still got 2.5 years left. The way I see it even if we upgrade him if in 3 years time he says he wants to 'follow his dreams' and play for the all blacks then what happens?

Yosh

Coach
Hmmm... It's Ponga. We're gonna have to pay a premium for stars and I'm willing to pay it no questions asked if it's for Ponga.

Knight76

Juniors
Most likely the truth of the matter is the Knights approached KP's manager to initiate talks on extending KP.

The media gets a wiff of this and as time rolls on, with nothing signed they start to think there is a story here. Why is the deal not done, is KP not happy, or are the Knights stonewalling him on his demands etc etc.

The pressure to come up with scoop leads to stories we are seeing. KP and the Knights in contract stalemate.

Knight Vision

First Grade
But if he is demanding an upgrade, i would show him the door.

Letting Ponga go would be business suicide. Every dollar spent on the kid would be returned 2 fold. ( at least )

In advertising dollars, crowd attendances and sponsorship revenue his value is off the charts. If he's not the face of the NRL already he soon will be

Every little boy playing backyard footy right now wants to be Kayln Ponga, every teenage girl is swooning and every mum wishes she had a little boy just like Kayln. He's clean cut, good natured, well spoken and humble - the complete package on and off the field.

Now how do we fit him under the cap and still field a competitive team ? Hope Wests are working over time getting 3rd parties lined up.

Frederick

Staff member
Letting Ponga go would be business suicide. Every dollar spent on the kid would be returned 2 fold. ( at least )

In advertising dollars, crowd attendances and sponsorship revenue his value is off the charts. If he's not the face of the NRL already he soon will be

Every little boy playing backyard footy right now wants to be Kayln Ponga, every teenage girl is swooning and every mum wishes she had a little boy just like Kayln. He's clean cut, good natured, well spoken and humble - the complete package on and off the field.

Now how do we fit him under the cap and still field a competitive team ? Hope Wests are working over time getting 3rd parties lined up.
Exactly. Ponga is THE biggest player in the game. A once in a generation player. We must do everything we can to keep him here

Yosh

Coach

We had Joey and a bunch of rag tags (a bit harsh) and won two premierships. Surely we can fit Ponga in with a couple of decent players to be a premiership winning outfit?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Dirty filthy piss on a seat, cannot spell beer, root ya sister, QLDer.

Then will go root sheep for the all blacks.

But all cool when he plays for Australia.

Your false god.

perverse

Referee

If he extended his current deal another 3-4 years, I'd upgrade him now 100%. We win by having potentially the most influential player of a generation play for us.

I get what you're saying, but KP is in a league of his own for mine. Keeping him happy is our biggest recruitment/retention priority.

Spot On

Coach
Brown just on NRL 360 saying when Ponga, his family and manager are happy to talk about a new deal the club will sit down and negotiate. But atm he's 2 and half yrs out from end of current deal and he is just happy playing with the boys and at the club atm.

Brown adamant the squad will be much stronger in 2 yrs time and hopefully successful which will be appealing to Ponga. Doesn't think he'd want to leave the Knights if that is the case.

Coach believes he has a good relationship with Ponga's parents and has some faith in that re resigning him. Said Ponga's parents know the club would like to extend.

Over to you Kalyn ... and parents.

newyboy

Juniors
I understand the talent and draw card etc. But if he prices himself out of it. Can you win a comp with the best fullback and average also rans if he chews up a chunk of the salary cap.

The storm couldn't win with just billy, they needed cronk, smith etc etc.

PS: We had the best player ever in Joey and a team for the most part as average/sub par first graders. Look how long it has taken to get over Joey.

Frederick

Staff member
PS: We had the best player ever in Joey and a team for the most part as average/sub par first graders. Look how long it has taken to get over Joey.

Uh huh. We also had this guy running the show at the time:

images

I'd wager a substantial amount that Hagan was far more devastating to the club than Joey's retirement. The man had no eye for talent, and if he were in charge we'd no doubt be watching players like Lamb, Cogger and Denniss still running out for us instead of Pearce, Ponga and Klemmer.

Brian Smith knew what had to happen, but the majority of locals weren't ready for it. It took the Tinkler/Bennett debacle for everyone to realise what had to happen.

This club needs Ponga. This town needs Ponga. He puts Newcastle on the map the same way Joey did. He guarantees us higher average crowds than all teams bar Brisbane. If his career continues along its current trajectory, he will be Newcastle's second immortal. I look forward to the day when, from my seat in the Andrew Johns stand, I can look across at a packed Kalyn Ponga stand.

And when he does retire (or if he leaves), I have no doubt we'll be far better equipped than we were when joeys career ended, because our off field is in better shape than ever. We'll have the centre of excellence built to nurture the best home grown talent. We'll have the best people in place to scout the best talent, be it home grown or imported.

Until that day though, give KP whatever the f**k he wants, as long as it's going to keep him happy and in Newcastle. I'm more than happy to offer up my wife, what about you guys?

mozza91

Coach
Joey being surrounded by nuffies is pretty much a myth. He pretty much always had a good side with some great players alongside him.

Maybe the last few years of his career we were abit weaker but he still had the likes of Buderus, Gidley x 2 & Simpson in the side.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Browny on NRL 360 spoke about Ponga ................but the best thing he said was " in 2 years time our roster will be better than what it is today " exciting times ahead

Frederick

Staff member
This is what I don't understand, so many Knights fans still hate Smith for what he tried to do here. He even managed to turn a bunch of nobodies into finals contenders in less than 2 years..
Because back then the majority of the fan base was very "local players only"

Latest posts