What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOCKING ADMISSION - Adam Blair Admits "Warriors Are Not Tough Enough To Play NRL"

Iron Lion

Juniors
Question - How much do you get paid to suck at your job?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12238703

Warriors forward Adam Blair admits the team have a problem dealing with adversity in games – and belief dips when things go against them.

Speaking after the side's 32-10 loss to Melbourne on Saturday night, the 33-year-old veteran said the team is currently "not tough enough as a group" to stay in the contest when momentum turns late in matches.

It's a staggering admission, especially from a senior player

"You start the second half and something doesn't go your way, and it's kinda like we think it is too tough," said Blair. "We forget about all the hard work that we have done in the first half and we don't go back to doing the same thing we were.

"It seems like when we get on the back foot it's too hard for us to get back in it, or we are thinking that someone else will do the job for us. When you go back over the performances [at home] we do struggle in the back half of games; sometimes it's because things don't go our way and we are not tough enough as a group to find our way of it."

Blair conceded the Warriors' belief seemed to go south early in the second half, and they never recovered.

"It shouldn't drop because what we did in the first half, and what we have done in most games in the first half we have been in the game and really competitive."

"It shouldn't drop but I think at times…not the whole group, but there might be subconsciously in some people's heads, the games getting too tough and we are looking for other people to do a better job or other people to do a job that we should all be doing."

Blair is in line to celebrate his 300th NRL match on Friday against the Titans, but admits that impending milestone has been a distraction in 2019.

"Hopefully everything goes well after this game and I am in the team," said Blair. "It was half my problem this year, most probably trying to protect that. Getting caught up in that, not playing the game in front of me and thinking what's ahead and the big picture.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
So the guy has actually admitted to not putting in to protect a personal milestone, I’d be writing to management and saying I won’t attend again while this passenger is in the team

BLN2

Juniors
At least he's honest about it.. Happened several times this season, matching it in the first and falling away hard has happened on several occasions this year, and last. Fitness cannot be blamed, it's discipline and application.

With Tevaga being out, our line speed has been terrible, letting teams roll through us in the second half. No one is showing urgency to get forward and put a shot on, was watching yesterday's games and saw some big hits. When was the last time our forwards showed some mongrel or big defensive plays? Our conceded post contact metres would be up with the worst in the comp.

Our forwards are soft. Our backs had no chance on Saturday in that second half.

JJ

Immortal
So the guy has actually admitted to not putting in to protect a personal milestone, I’d be writing to management and saying I won’t attend again while this passenger is in the team
That's the bizarre thing... should be dropped obviously, but won't be

Apparently he's the tough grizzled veteran leading the way... we're f**ked

Iron Lion

Juniors
How can the Warriors owners, management be so out of touch with the supporting fan base?

If you could even call it supporting any more?

If a blind man and his dog can see there is only one good forward at the Warriors called Tohu Harris. How can't they?

It's not just Adam Blair who is a joke its the whole forward pack.

Isaiah Papalii is shit. How the f@ck this guy made the kiwi's is an enigma. He has no talent. NONE. Yet he is picked every week in the NRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's like they just decided he can lift weights, only 18 years old, good at cross fit. Yep here is a NRL Warriors starting jersey. You can do it. You can play grow men every week.

How are you Adam Blair you made 10m last week, Almost at 300 games. Yep Starting Backrow.

Satae you signed for 3 years. We only signed you because the Storm wanted you. It was a knee-jerk reaction. You can play once every 6 weeks.

Sao, you suck but not as much as these guys starting before you. Ok you can play once every 5 weeks.

AK we are backing you to play 6. You start week one. Good game son you start week two. Nah you suck. Never play first grade again.

CHT your time now son. Yep your good you start next week. Oh whats that?? "Seibold thinks Nikorima is shit" Quick quick quick he is kiwi and a maori lets sign him. It works. Smash out that cap. Sorry CHT you still need to develop.

Issac Luke. People in stand doing haka. Best highlight of your game.

Gerrard Beale. Safe with good ball skills. Yeah safe with Kearneys balls in his mouth.

Persist playing Kata for 5 years. Opps just realised he's shit. Drop him.

Pulu 3 year contract. No game for you your shit too.

Pita Hiku cant tackle released by Manly. Starting Warriors centre.

I CAN'T BELIEVE that Stephen Kearney is that thick and stupid.

Yet here we are. And YES He is.

The Warriors are the biggest embarrassment in New Zealand sport.

Even more embarrassing than the Auckland blues!!!

We used to have young talented jnrs who gave us hope.

Now we dont even have those anymore.

Kearney you f@ckwit. Play Perham. Give us something you dick!

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I agree with Blair who has been there done that when it comes to the NRL. I'm not his biggest fan but with 300 NRL games looming, you bet your bottom dollar his opinion comes from experience (e.g. 2009 NRL grand final).

What Blair is saying is nothing new to me and shouldn't be to you guys either. We've seen time and time again, especially when the stakes are high and teams TRULY want to beat us, we will falter. A lot of times when we're losing, we're watching and hoping for the comeback kings (that we use to be known for) to re-appear. However these days, there's just no fight. We just go wide and pass the ball out or get pushed out and we play out the script as losers.

I am surprised Blairs only figured this out now. Then again, it's only his second season for us and he's now seeing what us have (deep down) always known. We haven't shown that tough mentality to win the NRL but we're definitely tough enough to play in this comp. We definitely belong here.

Meth

Staff member
There's not much in this article to be honest. Imagine if he came out and said "the Warriors are the toughest in the NRL". The performances on the park mean that whatever he or anyone else says in the media, they're going to get lambasted for it.

Shut up and fix it guys.

Iafeta

Referee
Good Christ.

Wasn’t he brought in because he was a supposed tough guy and “great for the culture” to help turn this stuff around? Isn’t he supposed to be a leader when the faeces is all over the wall? What in the actual F? This is the one thing he’s supposed to bring to a club and he is freely admitting on $800k he can’t do jack about it and he’s part of it.

I’m going to throw this out there and see if it sticks. But if you put a bunch of Kiwi lads around Australian NRL pros they find another leg. Get amongst it with the bros and they become walking turds. And yet our recruitment philosophy seems to be to bro it up.

I know footballers speak on cliches but my Christ this is startling. Especially since before the Broncos game we’d won two on the trot. So how quickly does this pessimism get into the club and why is our leadership so appalling at resolving it?

Iron Lion

Juniors
Good Christ.

Wasn’t he brought in because he was a supposed tough guy and “great for the culture” to help turn this stuff around? Isn’t he supposed to be a leader when the faeces is all over the wall? What in the actual F? This is the one thing he’s supposed to bring to a club and he is freely admitting on $800k he can’t do jack about it and he’s part of it.

I’m going to throw this out there and see if it sticks. But if you put a bunch of Kiwi lads around Australian NRL pros they find another leg. Get amongst it with the bros and they become walking turds. And yet our recruitment philosophy seems to be to bro it up.

I know footballers speak on cliches but my Christ this is startling. Especially since before the Broncos game we’d won two on the trot. So how quickly does this pessimism get into the club and why is our leadership so appalling at resolving it?

Exactly what I wanted to see.

You get it.

The fans have given up. They just roll over and accept it now.

Not you. But how long do you have left?

shinobi

Juniors
Lets just do a raiders and recruit 3 or 4 tough english forwards to do the job. maybe matt parcell and merrin want to come back to the nrl as well. Instead we will probably sign Russel Packer and Ben Matulino and announce it like its a big homecoming

Iafeta

Referee
Exactly what I wanted to see.

You get it.

The fans have given up. They just roll over and accept it now.

Not you. But how long do you have left?

lol I’m trying. But it’s trying. And I do feel somewhat ambivalent to them this year.

Iron Lion

Juniors
Lets just do a raiders and recruit 3 or 4 tough english forwards to do the job. maybe matt parcell and merrin want to come back to the nrl as well. Instead we will probably sign Russel Packer and Ben Matulino and announce it like its a big homecoming

PRODIGAL SONS TO RETURN HOME

PACKER PACKING BAGS TO COME HOME ON 4 YEAR DEAL

MATULINO FORGIVES WARRIORS - SIGNS FOR $1.3m Per SEASON FOR 3 YEARS

STEPHEN KEARNEY SIGNS EXTENSION - 3 YEARS