What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 v Dogs

SEAT 1A

Bench
"It wasn't a complete performance but it was an improvement on what we've done in the last month," McGregor said.

"I haven't looked at the ladder, I've just looked week to week and [now] we're on the same points as eighth position," he said.

"For me it's just about focusing on our process week to week, not the ladder. Wins push you up the ladder anyway, losses push you down.

"I'd rather just keep a real clear focus on what we need to improve on and stay at the more than anything else.

I've bagged Mary's excuses however, that's very composed and he's not getting ahead of himself after a good win.

It gives the lads a positive focus on for the remaining games.

hewi

Bench
We beat the bottom team with a player off for most of the game. I’ll take any win however if we can do the same to manly then we have a reason to smile, I’ll wait till then.

kit66

Bench
I just noticed we had Host play 80 minutes at lock, WTF, Sims and Lats on the bench and Host at lock at all is just ridiculous but to have him there for the entire 80 minutes ? What other coach would have done that ?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Got to give credit when credit is due and Rava had a cracking game. It was against the probable wooden-spooners but did some pretty good stuff out there to see why Mary see's something in him. Pearson to me is a must on the wing for his speed. Perriera and Rava can fight it out for the other spot.

Also Lomax should be the permanent centre. He was good today. I hope they stick with him when Lafai comes back.

The Saints backs are good just need time to gell. That is the problem especially when super coach keeps changing them every round. There is not settled backline yet and it is round 14........

Got to give credit when credit is due and Rava had a cracking game. It was against the probable wooden-spooners but did some pretty good stuff out there to see why Mary see's something in him. Pearson to me is a must on the wing for his speed. Perriera and Rava can fight it out for the other spot.

Also Lomax should be the permanent centre. He was good today. I hope they stick with him when Lafai comes back.

The Saints backs are good just need time to gell. That is the problem especially when super coach keeps changing them every round. There is not settled backline yet and it is round 14........
I agree this was a better performance, but it begs the question, was it the Dragons superiority or the feeble opposition,and by feeble, I mean FEEBLE. We will have a better idea after the Manly fixture.

TruSaint

Referee
I agree this was a better performance, but it begs the question, was it the Dragons superiority or the feeble opposition,and by feeble, I mean FEEBLE. We will have a better idea after the Manly fixture.

Correct,

Some of our lads as @Slippery Morris said said deserve credit. Rava ( after being dropped ), Norman, Host, Hunt, etc, but this Dogs team is woeful.

getsmarty

Immortal
Norman return just the tonic for Origin-weary Hunt
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 11 Jun 2019, 10:01 AM
kennedychris-head.png

The return of Dragons playmaker Corey Norman from a fractured cheekbone could not have come at a better time for his Origin-weary halves partner after Ben Hunt was called upon to make 53 tackles five days before the round 13 win over the Bulldogs.

Hunt says if anything he was lucky to get a five-day turnaround from his 80 minutes at hooker for Queensland after some players were required to back up after just 48 hours in the two Friday night games.

But after five straight losses at club level trying to steer the ship virtually on his own, the relief for Hunt was evident at having a fellow halves leader back to take the pressure off as Norman barked orders and chimed in on both sides of the field with the pair combining for one try and one try-assist each in the Dragons' win over Canterbury on Monday.

"Having Corey back made the job a lot easier for myself – he's such a quality player and a good organiser and he steered the ship," Hunt said.

"It brings back a lot of balance, he's so creative and wants to organise and create things himself it takes a lot of pressure off me, there's not just one person out there doing it.

Match Highlights: Bulldogs v Dragons

"Him coming back in relieves the pressure on everyone across the team and we can play our own roles.

"He's such a classy player, as soon as he got here [to the Dragons] he hit the ground running, he was calling plays and directing blokes around and fitting in really well so I wasn't really surprised."

Hunt said his main focus leading into the Bulldogs game had just been to get his body right after the very unfamiliar experience of racking up a half-century of tackles in rugby league's fastest and most brutal arena.

"It's been a good five days. The body's pretty sore and fatigued but it makes it a lot easier when you get a couple of wins," Hunt said.

"The main thing I was thinking about all week was getting my body right. I was pretty sore for a couple of days after Origin so I was doing as much as I could to sort that out and get my head around getting through this 80 minutes then I had a bit more of a rest. Fix the body and convince yourself you've got 80 tough minutes to get through."

Norman said he was close to returning for the Sharks game in round 11 before the bye and had no concerns over his cheekbone during the game.

"I think it was the Cronulla game I was a chance to get back but that was probably pushing it a bit too early, that's when it would have played on my mind but with the bye and the long week turnaround playing on Monday it didn't pop into my head once which was good," Norman said.

"It was all right, it didn't pop up in my head first contact session. The doctor said it's probably going to be stronger than the other side now so that gave me a lot of confidence."

Corey Norman: Footy, business and the strong woman in his life

Norman said he wasn't the slightest bit surprised he had been able to strike up a combination with Hunt quickly.

"We just love playing football, eyes-up football," he added.

"We don't stick to one edge, we like to roam, I thought we were good [against Canterbury] on each others' side a lot. We're just playing eyes-up football and having a go, playing a bit of footy.

"I tried to take a bit of pressure of Benny, it's been five days, he had a helluva game at hooker with plenty of defence. I thought all the Origin boys stepped up and brought a lot and showed a lot of leadership."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/11/norman-return-just-the-tonic-for-origin-weary-hunt/

kit66

Bench

to be fair none of them has really jumped up and given Mary a reason to stick solid with him. I thought Periera was probably our most consistent back so far but he must have upset Mary or become a scapegoat. I would stick with Ravalawa, I think he has great potential and I've been a Pearson fan for some time.

TruSaint

Referee
to be fair none of them has really jumped up and given Mary a reason to stick solid with him. I thought Periera was probably our most consistent back so far but he must have upset Mary or become a scapegoat. I would stick with Ravalawa, I think he has great potential and I've been a Pearson fan for some time.

Mary should look at what " dropping " a player does.
Im not sure that any of our backs are the " real deal" , but Rava, after being dropped, played out of his skin. Competition for spots is good.

st.phil

Bench
I just noticed we had Host play 80 minutes at lock, WTF, Sims and Lats on the bench and Host at lock at all is just ridiculous but to have him there for the entire 80 minutes ? What other coach would have done that ?
Nah host played right edge

Latest posts