What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F1 2019

Life's Good

Coach
Not knowing the actual facts I’m wondering if Emanuele Pirro(whom I’ve met, nice bloke)looked at the data traces & didn’t see Vettel slow down whilst on the grass(we’ve all done it on PS4). Because of that they’ve deemed it a dangerous rejoin of the track even though there wasn’t a noticeable chop on Hamilton who swerved to avoid him(which is enough to earn a penalty in qualifying when it happens).

some11

Referee
Penalty robbed us of a great fight to finish the race. I don't really agree with it, mainly due to this:

Last edited:

some11

Referee
They got that wrong too, look at the wheel in these circumstances, they're both racing incidents.

No penalties:

Storm13

Juniors
Was against the penalty but after hearing Jolyon Palmer explain why it was the right decision I have now changed my mind.

Now I'm against the penalty.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
They got that wrong too, look at the wheel in these circumstances, they're both racing incidents.

No penalties:

The thing is, going back a while(can’t remember the specific time)the teams/drivers were arguing for black & white application of the rules to get consistency. The Verstappen & Vettel penalties are examples of that but now it’s a case of ‘let them race’. That’s fine but it can’t be both ways if you want to maintain the integrity of the process.

Storm13

Juniors
I feel like everyone's frustration with Mercedes/Hamilton dominating the last 5 seasons boiled well over boiling point during this incident. Everyone is tired of having hope that this season or race could be the turning point and it continues to not be the case.

Dodgy

Juniors
That's a good point. Maybe if someone other than Hamilton benefitted from it, there would be a mini uproar, by it would be soon forgotten about an people would move on.

Personally, I think you should get done for that. But I don't agree with what and how it was implemented. We also now have a situation where in consecutive races, the 5sec add one has been enforced for not quite the same situation. No damage occurred to Hamilton in Montreal, and Bottas suffered a puncture which forced him to pit and lose a position in Monaco.

I also empathise with Vettel, as penalty enforcement is as random as chook lotto.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I look at it this way. If Hamilton was another 3-4 seconds behind Vettel, would Vettel have gone to a different line? I don't really think so.

I'm not really a fan of either driver, but I think it was a bullshit call. Hamilton did similar shit at Monaco 2 years ago I think, but wasn't penalised.

Sometimes I feel like the officials want to get involved for the sake of being involved.

Storm13

Juniors
Going to be another Mercedes 1-2. Very boring track to look at. Going to be a hard slog to stay awake for quali and the race.

some11

Referee
The whole weekend was a complete non-event.

At least I won $60 off it, processionals are good for betting.

Storm13

Juniors
Good start to Austria. Verstappen and Bottas both crashing out of FP2 with Vettel almost joining them.

Life's Good

Coach
Well well well, we might have a race on our hands. Ferrari, specifically Leclerc, has looked mighty. With Hamilton copping a penalty & starting 4th the prospect of Leclerc vs. Verstappen off the front row is a hell of a prospect.
Fingers crossed it can match the F3 race for action.

Storm13

Juniors
Much better race but it all came down to who could work their tyres the best. Verstappen was just way to fast even with the lowsy Honda engine.