What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

DC_fan

Coach
Fta ratings are tumbling across the board. Both afl and nrl gfs had lower ratings last year. Games can be downloaded via other streams. No need to panic at all.

TV in general is dying. But at the moment it still remains the main source for the majority of people to watch sport. Can it be proven that the people who no longer watch sport on TV have switched to other forms of viewing? It is easy to say this is the case, but show me the facts boy, show me the proof. lol

Shark62

Juniors
TV in general is dying. But at the moment it still remains the main source for the majority of people to watch sport. Can it be proven that the people who no longer watch sport on TV have switched to other forms of viewing? It is easy to say this is the case, but show me the facts boy, show me the proof. lol
No idea what the figures are mate. I watched state of origin with my nephew on an alternative stream. I assume many others are as well.

DC_fan

Coach
No idea what the figures are mate. I watched state of origin with my nephew on an alternative stream. I assume many others are as well.

I was only being sarcastic with my comment. I understand where you are coming from. Yes you are right, other forms of viewing are and will eventually takeover from TV.

Billythekid

First Grade
TV is declining and yes there are other ways to watch the game but I don’t think that explains such a large drop in viewership. AFL and NRL ratings seem to be holding fairly strong compared to last year for the most part.

There’s just less interest this year. The dominant QLD run got people interested. Both teams this year feel weak and a lot of the players that have dominated origin have retired. IMO there’s less of a narrative to get people excited this year.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I watched Origin on the channel 9 app - I'm sure many are starting to view sport that way and those viewers aren't counted in the TV ratings.

The ratings are false anyway. On Origin night just about every bar in NSW and QLD is packed with hundred's watching the game on a big screen. How do these get counted? And if they aren't counted, then they are potential viewers that would be watching it at home but aren't. They still watched the game though.... the advertisers still got the exposure they desire to a large audience.

T-Boon

Coach
Decline in interest in Origin is possibly down to how boring the actual game play was during those years everyone was tuning in. The year NSW won for the first time in ages was the worst version of RL I have ever seen all around, for example the ball barely got passed the second receiver (who was pretty much always a second rower or Gallen). The Laurie Daley years and the Bellamy years were horrid sport.

Starkers

Bench
everyone saying TV is dying etc needs to be qualified I think. take barry cassidy at Insiders on a sunday morning: https://www.crikey.com.au/2019/06/11/barrie-cassidy-hosts-his-final-episode-of-insiders/

that was his final episode and in the sign off he mentioned the show had improved it's ratings 16%. 800k viewers and most would be happy with that for an NRL game on FTA in prime time. but could you get that at 9am sunday?

we are also seeing growth, albeit small, for NRL on foxtel. whilst interest in the product was already high, i think their production and shows have improved significantly. there's a few dopes but overall great variety and analysis.

what does that say about origin? it is free, on a wednesday night prime time and a staple of australian sport? how can barrie cassidy get a 16% rise early on a sunday morning yet origin drops?

it is pretty clear his content is good, worth watching and it is a good viewing experience.

as for origin, there has been improvements, but they need to innovate and mix up the callers. Gus and Rabs are a punish. There's more women which helps, but the content feels stale and rehashed at times.

VictoryFC

Bench
what does that say about origin? it is free, on a wednesday night prime time and a staple of australian sport? how can barrie cassidy get a 16% rise early on a sunday morning yet origin drops?

Is this a serious question?

One has a much higher platform. If you increase your ratings 100%, but go from 100k viewers to 200k, you are NOT doing better than something which has gone down 25% from 4 million to 3 million.

I know people love to parrot growth, but growth is only useful in context.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
While the Fox ratings are strong this year there's no doubt there's a risk ahead - not just from Kayo splitting the viewership away among other streaming options, but also from the fact that Fox is almost certain to experience a big dip in subscribers in the coming months.

It might sound banal but GoT had a lot of people subscribing and there might be those who, while they love their footy, can't justify the cost anymore.

Starkers

Bench
Is this a serious question?

One has a much higher platform. If you increase your ratings 100%, but go from 100k viewers to 200k, you are NOT doing better than something which has gone down 25% from 4 million to 3 million.

I know people love to parrot growth, but growth is only useful in context.

sorry mate, is that a serious answer?

what i'm trying to point out is there is no reason why origin can't continue to grow. the product is great, it is ideally situated but i think the presentation is letting it down. it can improve.

i see no reason why people can accept a decline in ratings and explain it away as tv going down generally, when there are many examples of tv ratings increasing if the content is good.

VictoryFC

Bench
sorry mate, is that a serious answer?

what i'm trying to point out is there is no reason why origin can't continue to grow. the product is great, it is ideally situated but i think the presentation is letting it down. it can improve.

i see no reason why people can accept a decline in ratings and explain it away as tv going down generally, when there are many examples of tv ratings increasing if the content is good.

But it’s easier to increase ratings from a low base. Origin has demonstrated it’s the high end of what programming can achieve, as nothing else on tv gets higher ratings. Where are the examples of programs going from 3-4 million ratings to 5 million?

tri_colours

Juniors
You seem to be missing the big point which is AFL needed two more clubs to get a bigger TV deal. They claim the extra games is worth $54mill a year. Last year the two new clubs cost them $45million. They may be financial black holes but they are still earning more than they are costing, hence why the other clusb arent blowing up.

Maybe if the NRL had sunk $30mill a year into Brisbane2 and Perth in 2017 we would have had a bigger 18-22 TV deal that more than paid for it?

What they claim and reality are two separate things.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But it’s easier to increase ratings from a low base. Origin has demonstrated it’s the high end of what programming can achieve, as nothing else on tv gets higher ratings. Where are the examples of programs going from 3-4 million ratings to 5 million?

It does very well considering it’s only relevant to half the country.

Latest posts