What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

strider

Post Whore
I didn’t think you could otherwise teams will basically forfeit one year (by playing well under the cap) to have a massive salary cap the next year.
I think there is a limit .... im gonna try n search for some stories about the knights

84 Baby

Referee
Next question ...

Is there a rule about rolling some left over cap space into the next season? (or something to that effect) ..... didn't the Knights do it at one point?

If so, we can roll some of our space from this year into 2020 I assume?
I seem to recall it being something Gould tweeted about perhaps?

Happy MEel

First Grade
The way you create cap space for the proceeding year is by using spare cap space in the current year to extend and front load merkins you want to keep.

Problem is, there’s only a handful of merkins worth extending and front loading out of our uncontracted rabble.

Mau and Jennings are the only ones worth throwing decent coin at, unless we want to lock in Drown.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I didn’t think you could otherwise teams will basically forfeit one year (by playing well under the cap) to have a massive salary cap the next year.

Yeah I think there is the ability to carry over 5% (or a small amount) of the salary cap to the following year if it’s not used. Pretty sure it was Gould who mentioned it on Twitter

I can’t find any articles to support it however and the merkin Gus deleted his Twitter. I think it was discussed on here last year.

Noise

Coach
Yeah I think there is the ability to carry over 5% (or a small amount) of the salary cap to the following year if it’s not used. Pretty sure it was Gould who mentioned it on Twitter

I can’t find any articles to support it however and the merkin Gus deleted his Twitter. I think it was discussed on here last year.

Weird that there isn’t one article on the inter webs about it? If it was discussed on here you would at least be able to search the posts, maybe someone even posted a screenshot of Gus’ supposed tweet, particularly with the sourcing rules around here.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Weird that there isn’t one article on the inter webs about it? If it was discussed on here you would at least be able to search the posts, maybe someone even posted a screenshot of Gus’ supposed tweet, particularly with the sourcing rules around here.

Here it is and confirmed my Bernie (around 32 mins mark)

Around the 31st min Gurr confirms basically what Gus mentioned on twitter a few weeks back. You can basically prepay some contracts.

Works something like this - clubs must spend 95% of the cap amount in year 2018 with 5% (approx $460k) being able to be carried over and spent in 2019.

It’s called the salary cap credit.

He said we will have a small credit for next year.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
They said in the Fox replay that Gowie wants to go around again next year.

I hope they find a spot for him.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

gould is a known liar too.

Noise

Coach
Here it is and confirmed my Bernie (around 32 mins mark)

I could be wrong but Isn’t prepaying a contract when you pay a guys contract for the following year in the current year? Like roosters did with maloney while he was still at the warriors?
Thats a little different to just not spending all of ur current cap and then having it roll over?

strider

Post Whore
I could be wrong but Isn’t prepaying a contract when you pay a guys contract for the following year in the current year? Like roosters did with maloney while he was still at the warriors?
Thats a little different to just not spending all of ur current cap and then having it roll over?
Ok "rolling over" might not be an entirely acturate term, but this is suggesting you can effectively use some left over cap space to lessen future payments, hence make cap room, without needing to renew contracts

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Isn’t it basically the same thing, you can spend around $500k (that’s if you have not spend that amount) from the 2019 cap in 2020 ?

Noise

Coach
Isn’t it basically the same thing, you can spend around $500k (that’s if you have not spend that amount) from the 2019 cap in 2020 ?

You can only do that if you allocate the 500k to a player this year. You can’t just leave it unspent and then roll it over.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
You can only do that if you allocate the 500k to a player this year. You can’t just leave it unspent and then roll it over.

Of course, we have a few contracted so it wouIdnt to hard to used, or $250k to Moses/Gutho.