What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings

Tiger5150

Bench
latest
Brian Lockwood, Dave Topliss

Tiger5150

Bench
I doubt there was even an offer. More like his manager bumping up his deal.

We don't need him and it was an odd rumour linking him to us.

I can see probably another 2 years of the media baiting with the animosity between Tigers & Panthers. I think it would be in everyones best interest if the rest of the clubs let the Tigers win this years premiership and Panthers win the spoon just to wipe the karma slate clean so we can all get on with things.

Panther Mick

Juniors
I can see probably another 2 years of the media baiting with the animosity between Tigers & Panthers. I think it would be in everyones best interest if the rest of the clubs let the Tigers win this years premiership and Panthers win the spoon just to wipe the karma slate clean so we can all get on with things.

The animosity will continue until Ivan is sacked a second time at Penrith.
Then we can all laugh and get on with life.

Tiger5150

Bench
The animosity will continue until Ivan is sacked a second time at Penrith.
Then we can all laugh and get on with life.

Right now Pamfers are in my most hated category with Souffs (Cos they are Souffs and 1909 etc, Parra...Mitchell Moses) but Penrith featured in one of my favourite RL moments. In 1989 I was at Leichhardt with a mate to watch Balmain v Penrith in what must have been the last game of the season and my memory was we had to win to make top 4. Penrith looked good early and led straight away. Behind us was a group of about 6 guys who all looked like bikies who were all Pamfers fans. In particular one guy who was wearing a bandana was REALLY obnoxious and was screaming shite at the top of his lungs. Things turned ugly for Penrith (Tigers ended up winning 33-6) and in front of me was a MASSIVE Tongan dude and his best mate who was a white Aussie who would have been flat out 60kg wringing wet. As the Tigers got on top, the Tongan dude just stood up, turned, pointed at bandana head (his name) and GAVE it to him for the rest of the game. I will never forget as the whistle blew the Tongan dude turned to his mate and said " I Hope these guys have a sense of humour, cos all Ive got is you".

Three weeks later my mate and I were sitting in Balmain Leagues watching the GF and old mate bandana head is interviewed in the pre-game wearing a Raiders jersey. It clearly scarred him.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Right now Pamfers are in my most hated category with Souffs (Cos they are Souffs and 1909 etc, Parra...Mitchell Moses) but Penrith featured in one of my favourite RL moments. In 1989 I was at Leichhardt with a mate to watch Balmain v Penrith in what must have been the last game of the season and my memory was we had to win to make top 4. Penrith looked good early and led straight away. Behind us was a group of about 6 guys who all looked like bikies who were all Pamfers fans. In particular one guy who was wearing a bandana was REALLY obnoxious and was screaming shite at the top of his lungs. Things turned ugly for Penrith (Tigers ended up winning 33-6) and in front of me was a MASSIVE Tongan dude and his best mate who was a white Aussie who would have been flat out 60kg wringing wet. As the Tigers got on top, the Tongan dude just stood up, turned, pointed at bandana head (his name) and GAVE it to him for the rest of the game. I will never forget as the whistle blew the Tongan dude turned to his mate and said " I Hope these guys have a sense of humour, cos all Ive got is you".

Three weeks later my mate and I were sitting in Balmain Leagues watching the GF and old mate bandana head is interviewed in the pre-game wearing a Raiders jersey. It clearly scarred him.

That game is one of my earliest memories as a Balmain fan. I remember it being ‘must win’ in some way or another. From memory Benny absolutely tore the Panthers up that day. What should have been...

I’ve always liked the Panthers. Penrith park is one of the best grounds to go to for opposition fans, never seen or heard any trouble there, Panthers fans seem good sports. Obviously the Ivan thing has put them right up there in the hatred stakes, hopefully they piss him off so I can go back to liking them again

Tiger5150

Bench
That game is one of my earliest memories as a Balmain fan. I remember it being ‘must win’ in some way or another. From memory Benny absolutely tore the Panthers up that day. What should have been...

I’ve always liked the Panthers. Penrith park is one of the best grounds to go to for opposition fans, never seen or heard any trouble there, Panthers fans seem good sports. Obviously the Ivan thing has put them right up there in the hatred stakes, hopefully they piss him off so I can go back to liking them again

If it was "must win" you might have been thinking of the year before 1988 when we played Penrith at Leichhardt in a mid week play off to make the semis.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If it was "must win" you might have been thinking of the year before 1988 when we played Penrith at Leichhardt in a mid week play off to make the semis.

Nah it was the one we won 33-6, I was like 7 at the time so I think I must have been told it was important to win or something

I do know the one from the previous year you’re talking about too

Last edited:

betcats

Referee

Normally a club would need to achieve some sustained success to go from liked(or at least in different) to hated by so many. Penrith have done it while maintaining their grip on the bottom four, impressive really.

Nah it was the one we won 33-6, I was like 7 at the time so I think I must have been told it was important to win or something

I do know the one from the previous year you’re talking about too

In 1988, the Panthers played the Tigers at Leichhardt Oval in Round 21 (2nd last week of the regular season). Penrith were 2nd on the table on 30 points, Tigers were 7th on 28 points (equal 5th with the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles who both had a better for an against). Tigers won 16-14. Match Details: https://afltables.com/rl/scorers/games/1988/198808070319.html

In 1989, the Panthers played the Tigers at Leichhardt Oval in Round 22 (the last round of the season). Penrith were 2nd on the ladder on 32 points and the tigers were 3rd on 27 points. Tigers won 33-6. Match Details: https://afltables.com/rl/scorers/games/1989/198908270319.html

Tommy Smith

Referee
Managers are such scum. Any link they can use with a former club/coach/country etc to drive up the price they will.
Yep they make up shit all the time.

Except when players are linked to the Roosters, like TPJ, in which case everyone buys it hook, line and sinker and assumes the "frothing at the mouth" position.

Tiger5150

Bench
In 1988, the Panthers played the Tigers at Leichhardt Oval in Round 21 (2nd last week of the regular season). Penrith were 2nd on the table on 30 points, Tigers were 7th on 28 points (equal 5th with the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles who both had a better for an against). Tigers won 16-14. Match Details: https://afltables.com/rl/scorers/games/1988/198808070319.html

In 1989, the Panthers played the Tigers at Leichhardt Oval in Round 22 (the last round of the season). Penrith were 2nd on the ladder on 32 points and the tigers were 3rd on 27 points. Tigers won 33-6. Match Details: https://afltables.com/rl/scorers/games/1989/198908270319.html

Ummm...In 1988 Tigers & Panthers finished equal 3rd with Canberra and Manly which put Balmain 6th. There was a playoff midweek between Balmain & Penrith to see who would be 5th and make the semis. Balmain won 28-8 and ( I think) were the first and only team to make the GF from a midweek play off. Would have won it as well if it wasnt for Terry Lambs elbow.
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nswrl-1988/playoff/balmain-vs-penrith/summary.html

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Ummm...In 1988 Tigers & Panthers finished equal 3rd with Canberra and Manly which put Balmain 6th. There was a playoff midweek between Balmain & Penrith to see who would be 5th and make the semis. Balmain won 28-8 and ( I think) were the first and only team to make the GF from a midweek play off. Would have won it as well if it wasnt for Terry Lambs elbow.
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nswrl-1988/playoff/balmain-vs-penrith/summary.html
I was at that game. It was Parra stadium. Didn't Steve Roach get sent off for fighting and missed the grand final? They tried to get him named for a game in England so that would count as one game suspended and enable him to play in the GF. Didn't work.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I was at that game. It was Parra stadium. Didn't Steve Roach get sent off for fighting and missed the grand final? They tried to get him named for a game in England so that would count as one game suspended and enable him to play in the GF. Didn't work.

Yes

The prerequisite had been set as a team (I believe Canterbury) had done something similar a few years earlier. Blocker was actually over in England with the team when the NSWRL blocked the move for some reason. Headquarters have always had their favourites...

Latest posts