What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

jim_57

Staff member
I think being a realy footy club with a long and respected history and not being the Broncos will be two big factors.

I'm not connected to Redcliffe in any way and never been a fan of them in the QLD Cup but I would go and watch them play in the NRL just to support them.

You might find plenty would until the novelty wore off then you might find people from anywhere other than Redcliffe have no better reasons to support them than they do Gold Coast or Melbourne let alone the Broncos.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You might find plenty would until the novelty wore off then you might find people from anywhere other than Redcliffe have no better reasons to support them than they do Gold Coast or Melbourne let alone the Broncos.

Maybe, maybe not. The NRL seem interested and Redcliffe seem to think they can make it work and they are well backed financially.

No matter which Brisbane 2 option we end up with though, I think it would be a mistake just entering a plastic, generic, corporate Broncos clone - there is no point of difference there.

jim_57

Staff member
Maybe, maybe not. The NRL seem interested and Redcliffe seem to think they can make it work and they are well backed financially.

No matter which Brisbane 2 option we end up with though, I think it would be a mistake just entering a plastic, generic, corporate Broncos clone - there is no point of difference there.

Agreed with that but I think it should be somewhere between a Bombers type bid and an isolating yourself by using Redcliffe asa name.

Redcliffe, North Lakes, North East Brisbane, Sunshine Coast all targetted under a name like Moreton Bay or something similar would be far better.

Likewise Western Corridor have the right idea targetting Ipswich, Logan, Toowoomba and the general "South West" area around Brisbane.

Stallion

First Grade
Agreed with that but I think it should be somewhere between a Bombers type bid and an isolating yourself by using Redcliffe asa name.

Redcliffe, North Lakes, North East Brisbane, Sunshine Coast all targetted under a name like Moreton Bay or something similar would be far better.

Likewise Western Corridor have the right idea targetting Ipswich, Logan, Toowoomba and the general "South West" area around Brisbane.

Call them the Brisbane Dolphins and work out an appropriate area for the franchise to deem their responsibility for development purposes.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Call them the Brisbane Dolphins and work out an appropriate area for the franchise to deem their responsibility for development purposes.

That's as dumb as when Balmain and Canterbury called themselves the Sydney Tigers and Sydney Bulldogs. It is ok to keep the traditional name. In the modern day and age it doesn't mean that people outside of Redcliffe won't support them.

EPL teams like Arsenal and Chelsea are suburban teams and they are global brands. RL teams like Wigan, St Helens and Parramatta are small town / suburban teams and are known around the RL world. It doesn't really have to limit the team at all as long as it is done correctly. Play at a big stadium (Suncorp in the case of the Dolphins) and market to a wider area than your region, whilst never forgetting your roots.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
That's as dumb as when Balmain and Canterbury called themselves the Sydney Tigers and Sydney Bulldogs. It is ok to keep the traditional name. In the modern day and age it doesn't mean that people outside of Redcliffe won't support them.

EPL teams like Arsenal and Chelsea are suburban teams and they are global brands. RL teams like Wigan, St Helens and Parramatta are small town / suburban teams and are known around the RL world. It doesn't really have to limit the team at all as long as it is done correctly. Play at a big stadium (Suncorp in the case of the Dolphins) and market to a wider area than your region, whilst never forgetting your roots.
Could the Brisbane dolphins work playing the majority of games out of suncorp stadium with a few games played in Redcliffe?

Maybe have training facilities and business offices in Redcliffe?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Could the Brisbane dolphins work playing the majority of games out of suncorp stadium with a few games played in Redcliffe?

The question is would a geographically branded team generate enough city wide interest to take on the Broncos and survive? I think Redcliffe and Ipswich really should look at how the Freo Dockers set up in competition to the massive club that is the WC Eagles and take a leaf out of their book.

Maybe being more generic such as North Brisbane Dolphins or South Brisbane Jets is the best solution with all games at Suncorp and pre season and training/HQ in the represented locality.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The best example of this in Aus RL would be St George....

While their named after a tiny region of Sydney, their brand rises above that to have this perfect mix of local tribalism and national appeal.

I dont know how they did it. But if anyone figures it out, it is a great model for a club brand

Walter sobchak

First Grade

While their named after a tiny region of Sydney, their brand rises above that to have this perfect mix of local tribalism and national appeal.

I dont know how they did it. But if anyone figures it out, it is a great model for a club brand
I’m no expert but like you say st George is in Sydney while Redcliffe is a town 30-40 miles north of Brisbane is it not?

Perth Red

Post Whore

I think it helped that they were extremely successful and well supported during an era when it was a suburban comp in Sydney. As it is now their membership and attendances are hardly overwhelming despite expanding to take in another region..

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I think it helped that they were extremely successful and well supported during an era when it was a suburban comp in Sydney. As it is now their membership and attendances are hardly overwhelming despite expanding to take in another region..
Not to get sidetracked or anything but geographically a merger between st George and cronulla makes more sense than Illawarra.

St George Sutherland sharks sounds good to me.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
One thing i worry about with Redcliffe is that they might be too desperate to play out of their own stadium...

We are already seeing this with our Sydney clubs, playing at shitty, run-down dumps instead of decent stadiums because "it is our spiritual home". Really, they are just being man-children who dont want to share.

The last thing i want to see is Redcliffe taking a stack of games to an outer suburb just because "its our spiritual home"

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I’m no expert but like you say st George is in Sydney while Redcliffe is a town 30-40 miles north of Brisbane is it not?

It is technically a shire north of Brisbane but realistically it is viewed as a part of Brisbane (or Greater Brisbane) and there are certainly no barriers to people in other parts of the city supporting them. There is not a huge swathe of the city that have a particular hate for them due to old BRL rivalries for example. They are a great local story and would be a popular team.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
One thing i worry about with Redcliffe is that they might be too desperate to play out of their own stadium...

We are already seeing this with our Sydney clubs, playing at shitty, run-down dumps instead of decent stadiums because "it is our spiritual home". Really, they are just being man-children who dont want to share.

The last thing i want to see is Redcliffe taking a stack of games to an outer suburb just because "its our spiritual home"

No, they will play out of Suncorp. And that will not be a big deal for them or their existing supporters every couple of weeks. There is a direct train link from Redcliffe to Brisbane city, plus they will easily draw supporters from other areas of the city too.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Yeh, im not a fan if Redcliffe coming in either....

It would be like if we created a world RL with NSW Blues representing all of Sydney. Then, one day, we have a chance to bring in a second team ......... and we choose penrith.

And why? As far as i can see, their claim to supremacy is that they have a successful Leagues Club. Shit reason to pick what will be the last NRL expansion spot for decades.....

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Yes, they will play at Suncorp. As mentioned in the post above there is a direct train link from Redliffe to Brisbane City and they will also draw supporters from other areas in Brisbane too. They are a great old BRL brand that don't have a lot of animosity from other fans so there are no barriers to gaining wider support - it will be a great local RL story. They certainly won't be pigeonholed into the peninsual (i.e. Manly), firstly because there are only two clubs in the city and secondly because they will recognise that they need to grow their corporate and membership base to compete with the Broncs. The only way to do that is to play at a world-class, centrally located stadium. They will train and play reserves etc at Dolphin Oval which will always be their roots and spiritual home.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yes, they will play at Suncorp. As mentioned in the post above there is a direct train link from Redliffe to Brisbane City and they will also draw supporters from other areas in Brisbane too. They are a great old BRL brand that don't have a lot of animosity from other fans so there are no barriers to gaining wider support - it will be a great local RL story. They certainly won't be pigeonholed into the peninsual (i.e. Manly), firstly because there are only two clubs in the city and secondly because they will recognise that they need to grow their corporate and membership base to compete with the Broncs. The only way to do that is to play at a world-class, centrally located stadium. They will train and play reserves etc at Dolphin Oval which will always be their roots and spiritual home.

But this could describe any of the QRL clubs. Why are Redcliffe the special case?

Stallion

First Grade

You come up with some pretty dumb stuff don't you?! Very consistent and unable to read the lay of the land. But that's you not me! Have a nice day!