What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
I’m actually a local, and I’ve stated it a million times, dolphin oval will get an upgrade, it needs to be Moreton bay team, one of the fastest growing regions in the country, this stupid obsession with playing the dolphins out of Brisbane will fail ! I don’t mind playing say the qld Darbies out of Suncorp, but this region needs its own team, this isn’t Brisbane and the people don’t see themselves as Brisbane locals.

Wynnum across the gateway have a strong hatred for the dolphins lol, you need to build this team north towards the Sunshine Coast, think to the future and don’t make the same mistakes Sydney did.

This is like giving western Sydney it’s first team. Not creating The roosters when we already have south Sydney.

Stallion

First Grade
I’m actually a local, and I’ve stated it a million times, dolphin oval will get an upgrade, it needs to be Moreton bay team, one of the fastest growing regions in the country, this stupid obsession with playing the dolphins out of Brisbane will fail ! I don’t mind playing say the qld Darbies out of Suncorp, but this region needs its own team, this isn’t Brisbane and the people don’t see themselves as Brisbane locals.

Wynnum across the gateway have a strong hatred for the dolphins lol, you need to build this team north towards the Sunshine Coast, think to the future and don’t make the same mistakes Sydney did.

This is like giving western Sydney it’s first team. Not creating The roosters when we already have south Sydney.

Sunshine Coast Dolphins?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Thanks you’ve just confirmed exactly why Redcliffe shouldn’t be the next expansion side if it is thinking the same as you. The nrl doesn’t need another suburban team playing out of a second grade stadium in front of 10k.

Reactions: Vee

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Thanks you’ve just confirmed exactly why Redcliffe shouldn’t be the next expansion side if it is thinking the same as you. The nrl doesn’t need another suburban team playing out of a second grade stadium in front of 10k.
Yeah over a million people is a suburb , one of the fastest growing regions in the country, confirmed what red ? Please come with some valid reasons next time.

I’m a supporter of a Perth bid by the way lol.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

It sounds like they would be perfect for the 3rd Brisbane team, but that is not what we need now...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah over a million people is a suburb , one of the fastest growing regions in the country, confirmed what red ? Please come with some valid reasons next time.

The population of Morton Bay is 425k, not "over a million", Brisbanes population is 2.2mil, so over four times the size, and even if Brisbane's population growth stagnated today (which by the way it won't, and in real terms it's growing at a similar rate to Morton Bay's) Morton Bay would take close to a century to catch up if the growth rate stays constant (which it won't).

Redcliffe is a population centre of Morton Bay, i.e. a glorified suburb, but Redcliffe doesn't represent Morton Bay and therefore the Dolphins don't represent Morton Bay, and it will take decades to truly change the perception of the Redcliffe Dolphins, you know, representing Redcliffe, and those perceptions can make and break clubs. So if you were going to add a club from Morton Bay you'd be better off starting from scratch then trying to jerry rig the Dolphins into representing all of Morton Bay anyway.

There's also no reason to believe that the Queensland government would fund an upgrade to Dolphin Oval, maybe they will, maybe won't, we don't know, but it seems unlikely to me when considering they've only just given taxpayer funding to upgraded it and the best RL stadium in the country is just down the road and better suited to support NRL games anyway.

But much more importantly than "your valid" reasons is that the NRL doesn't need a Morton Bay club, it needs a Brisbane club, and not just any club from Brisbane, but a Brisbane club that has the potential to represent a large portion of the population of Brisbane (i.e. over 1mil).

The NRL should be aiming to replicate the Man Utd Man City dynamic of two giant rival clubs, not replicating the same mistakes that they've made in Sydney but in Brisbane by introducing piddly little regional and Suburban clubs, and introducing the Dolphins, a piddly little regional club that doesn't, and can't represent a large portion of Brisbane, is a step in totally the wrong direction.

It's been said quite a few times now, but the Dolphins would just be Brisbane's version of Manly, when what the NRL needs is Brisbane's version of Man City.

Diesel

Coach
I assume the 1 million number is the 425k (Moreton) + 300k from the Sunshine Coast. Not a million but getting there in the next 10-15 years

In Brisbane there’s thousands that don’t like the Broncos.

I’ll sign up as a Brisbane 2 member although they won’t be my first team I support

Stallion

First Grade
The population of Morton Bay is 425k, not "over a million", Brisbanes population is 2.2mil, so over four times the size, and even if Brisbane's population growth stagnated today (which by the way it won't, and in real terms it's growing at a similar rate to Morton Bay's) Morton Bay would take close to a century to catch up if the growth rate stays constant (which it won't).

Redcliffe is a population centre of Morton Bay, i.e. a glorified suburb, but Redcliffe doesn't represent Morton Bay and therefore the Dolphins don't represent Morton Bay, and it will take decades to truly change the perception of the Redcliffe Dolphins, you know, representing Redcliffe, and those perceptions can make and break clubs. So if you were going to add a club from Morton Bay you'd be better off starting from scratch then trying to jerry rig the Dolphins into representing all of Morton Bay anyway.

There's also no reason to believe that the Queensland government would fund an upgrade to Dolphin Oval, maybe they will, maybe won't, we don't know, but it seems unlikely to me when considering they've only just given taxpayer funding to upgraded it and the best RL stadium in the country is just down the road and better suited to support NRL games anyway.

But much more importantly than "your valid" reasons is that the NRL doesn't need a Morton Bay club, it needs a Brisbane club, and not just any club from Brisbane, but a Brisbane club that has the potential to represent a large portion of the population of Brisbane (i.e. over 1mil).

The NRL should be aiming to replicate the Man Utd Man City dynamic of two giant rival clubs, not replicating the same mistakes that they've made in Sydney but in Brisbane by introducing piddly little regional and Suburban clubs, and introducing the Dolphins, a piddly little regional club that doesn't, and can't represent a large portion of Brisbane, is a step in totally the wrong direction.

It's been said quite a few times now, but the Dolphins would just be Brisbane's version of Manly, when what the NRL needs is Brisbane's version of Man City.

Brisbane 2 is a must! It's getting a marketable name and colours etc that's seems to be problematic. Having a name like Brisbane Dolphins would be attractive. However the links with Redcliffe seem obvious. Brisbane Bobcats?

Perth Red

Post Whore

That’s like saying manly are important as there are 1 million people on the north shore. Reality is the catchment is much,much much smaller, as would redcliffes likely to be unless they change their identity to something much more encompassing and play at a centralised stadium. I could see a north Brisbane dolphins out of Suncorp might work.

mongoose

Coach

People in Redcliffe don't consider themselves as part of Brisbane? are you sure of that?

From my experience "moreton Bay" doesn't have any identity. Most people in South east QLD wouldn't even know where the boundary is for Brisbane and Moreton Bay councils.

I am happy for the Dolphins to be promoted but they would have to play most games out of Suncorp and appeal to the wider Brisbane area, including south of the river. And that's kind of my issue with Redcliffe, it's far north brisbane, isolated and i can guarantee you most people south of the river will never travel there for games. Also more people live south of the river than north.

Stallion

First Grade
People in Redcliffe don't consider themselves as part of Brisbane? are you sure of that?

From my experience "moreton Bay" doesn't have any identity. Most people in South east QLD wouldn't even know where the boundary is for Brisbane and Moreton Bay councils.

I am happy for the Dolphins to be promoted but they would have to play most games out of Suncorp and appeal to the wider Brisbane area, including south of the river. And that's kind of my issue with Redcliffe, it's far north brisbane, isolated and i can guarantee you most people south of the river will never travel there for games. Also more people live south of the river than north.

Interesting and informative information . So a more southern Brisbane based club? South Brisbane "whatevers"?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Agreed a South Brisbane identity partly owned by Ipswich and magpies and the bombers heavy hitters might be a better option

The Great Dane

First Grade
The way I look at it Redcliffe will be Brisbane's version of Manly, Western Corridor-Ipswich will be Brisbane's version of Parramatta, and the Bombers will be a poor man's Broncos.

If the NRL is forced to pick one as is then Western Corridor-Ipswich is probably the best, but the one that could probably most easily be formed into a suitable bid is the Bombers, because the Bombers main issues are branding and the fact they seem to be targeting the exact same market that the Broncos target, all of which could be pretty easily fixed with a little communication.

So if I was the NRL and I was forced to pick one of the current bids then I'd attempt to mold the Bombers into a suitable bid, failing that I'd back Western Corridor-Ipswich because it's the best of a bad bunch.
But realistically none of the current Brisbane bids are what the NRL needs in a second Brisbane club and hopefully better options make themselves available.

I also think that though the NRL has its heart set on Brisbane the conversation needs to be had about holding back on Brisbane for now and focusing on other markets if a better option can't be created in Brisbane, because the NRL can't afford to stuff Brisbane up again.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
But this could describe any of the QRL clubs. Why are Redcliffe the special case?

Redcliffe are asset rich and incredibly financially stable. They own their own ground, they own Dolphin's Central shopping centre and the Dolphin's health precinct. They are more financially stable than some NRL clubs. This is in addition to their huge league's club.

They run a successful rugby league club with deep roots that represent tradition and history in Queensland Rugby League and they have no deep animosity towards them from other QRL / BRL clubs that would be a barrier to building city-wide support.

Admittedly, they will not use their own ground, they will use Suncorp (which is a must for any second Brisbane NRL team) to maximise crowds , sponsors, memberships etc. Playing centrally at Suncorp though helps them build that city-wide support.

They are essentially a dream bid for the NRL, an asset rich, financially stable, traditinal famous brand bringing RL DNA into the NRL in an area that the NRL want to expand into.

Let's take into consideration two incidences from the last 15 years:

1. When the GC were planning to come into the comp for the 2007 season. One of the proposed names was the Gold Coast Dolphins. Redcliffe fought this all the way. Why? They knew where they were headed.

2. The NRL have recently stated that expansion would come from the second teir (i.e. if you aren't competing in the NSW or QLD cup, you won't be considered).

As @THE CHAMP said in a different thread, it is a certainty and I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a done deal with the NRL.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I can see significant upgrades to Dolphin Oval if the Queensland Government were to host the Olympics or RU World Cup. Governments love legacy programs out of these sort of events and them leaving Brisbane's second NRL team a modern 25 - 30k stadium would be perfect.

I don't think unless you live here you can understand how big Redcliffe will be. There is no comparrison to Manly because Redcliffe is one of only two clubs in the city and can take in North Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast as their catchment area.

Latest posts