What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where now for Tonga?

Clarkent

Juniors
How long do you think Milford and Harris-Tavita will stay with Samoa? Origin might come calling for Milford and Harris-Tavita likely has the Kiwis in his long term plan.
That I'm not sure man that's up to the players... Hopefully taupau changing alliance inspires them to stay... Having those 2 playing together until the world Cup will be huge for the Samoan team

Matua

Bench
That I'm not sure man that's up to the players... Hopefully taupau changing alliance inspires them to stay... Having those 2 playing together until the world Cup will be huge for the Samoan team
I think it's different for CHT, he's got Maori/NZ Pakeha ancestry to go with his Samoan so I think he likely has the Kiwis in his sights.

taste2taste

Juniors
We didn't really learn much from this game. We know Tonga ( who didn't play their best) are a decent halves pairing away from being competitive with the top 3.

NZ played great and would have beaten GB or Australia. You could argue NZ have the best spine and forward pack in international footy. Tonga shouldn't get too disheartened loosing this game.

Clarkent

Juniors
We didn't really learn much from this game. We know Tonga ( who didn't play their best) are a decent halves pairing away from being competitive with the top 3.

NZ played great and would have beaten GB or Australia. You could argue NZ have the best spine and forward pack in international footy. Tonga shouldn't get too disheartened loosing this game.
I'm getting worried with Tonga especially in the halves... Hingano is big loss but who do they have after that?? Lolohea? Lolohea isn't even playing HB in the Super League and he doesn't look like the same player he was 2 years ago... Will Hopoate hasn't been the same player he used to be and the midfield is a worry... Kata has been horrible Jennings hasn't been the same in years... Tonga has one of the best forwards in the world but all that will be for nothing if they don't have any good halves...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I thought this about ALL of the Pacific teams...

Fiji, Samoa and Tonga all have the bones of a great team and just no one there to lead them around particularly when things start to go against them. If any of them can get a decent half, they will be killer to watch

Pommy

Coach

I didn’t see the game but what’s happened since England beat them 2-1 to make you say that?

adamkungl

Immortal
I think people overhyped Tonga due to the NZ win, which as @Matua said above was more a reflection of Kidwell and NZ's issues than it was of Tongas talent across the park.
The same NZ side lost to Fiji in a tryless game and managed to draw with Scotland the year before.

Now NZ have bounced back and got themselves a decent coach, this is an accurate reminder of where Tonga are really at. Best halves are fringe first graders and second stringers aren't halves.
Their player development is non-existent outside of poaching NZ and Aus players. It wasn't so long ago that Tonga was the worst of the Pacific Island sides.

Their current run can last a few more years yet, they have the core of a great team. But once the emotional high of 2017 wears off completely, will players start drifting back to Aus and NZ?

Without overreacting, I think they need to look at their pathways. Use the current high to get whatever funding necessary to make those pathways rock solid.
At 16s, 18s, and 23s level they need Tonga residents playing Tonga heritage. Get the best players out of those and have them playing Junior Aussies and Kiwis in front of NRL scouts.

They need born and bred Tongans because if NZ and Aus tighten up their system or Tonga go tier 1 then the poaching ends.
Without putting in the foundations now, Tonga will get eclipsed by Fiji and PNG.

Matua

Bench
You beat Tonga...pipe down lad lol
You're only as good as your last game - and our last game against you lot was a 34-0 thumping and our last game against the Roos was a win. ;)

However, the real gauge of how the Kiwis are travelling will be later in the year.

adamkungl

Immortal
So.. will mighty Tonga get another win this year?

Aus and GB to come.
Maybe they should have lined up Samoa for a game ;)

jim_57

Staff member
Tonga and Samoa will probably always be at a similar level to where they are now. A team that will always mostly rely on heritage players due to the population sizes of the Islands. Not saying that is a bad thing and hopefully they always have enough talent to be competitive and spring the odd upset.

Fiji and PNG have more potential and should naturally overtake them with the right pathways in place. In regards to Fiji we are already seeing a good handful of Fijian born players scattered across the NRL and 2nd tier. Plus they'll always have a few good heritage players to call on, all that with a NSW Cup team to come should see them become a regular (outside chance) challenger for World Cups in the next 10-20 years.

PNG seem a bit behind but the potential of 8million+ RL nuts can't be ignored. I believe the key for them may be juniors playing in the QLD system to start getting kids in the spotlight.

adamkungl

Immortal
Brandon Wakeham at 7 for Fiji steered the team around well.

He's in the Bulldogs top squad this year, yet to get a game. In SG Ball 2017 he won player of the year. If he sticks with Fiji after cracking first grade he could be a major piece of the Fijian team going forward.

Burns

First Grade
I guess with their thread I was wondering where Tonga could end up following their Tests against Great Britain and Australia.

Thread has made excellent points about how the Tongan side needs to continue development. Hopefully should they lose their next two Test matches - the Tongan crowds don’t disappear.

Fair to say that the financial viability of the Oceanic Cup is tied into the ability of Tonga to draw a crowd.

adamkungl

Immortal
I guess with their thread I was wondering where Tonga could end up following their Tests against Great Britain and Australia.

Thread has made excellent points about how the Tongan side needs to continue development. Hopefully should they lose their next two Test matches - the Tongan crowds don’t disappear.

Fair to say that the financial viability of the Oceanic Cup is tied into the ability of Tonga to draw a crowd.

You just know the powers-that-be are hoping Samoa manages to knock off Fiji so they get an NZ-Tonga-Samoa series next year.