What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 2K19 Discussion

The Realist

Juniors
Geez how good was Graham? Still has the vision of a good 5/8 but what he does best, and what Nathan struggles with, is drawing/engaging defenders, creating an overlap and then firing a bullet to his centre/winger. Nathan just does not have this ability.

Imagine if Graham was a touch quicker, a little more explosive and more agile? Wouldn't be a better player on this planet.

Geez how good was Graham? Still has the vision of a good 5/8 but what he does best, and what Nathan struggles with, is drawing/engaging defenders, creating an overlap and then firing a bullet to his centre/winger. Nathan just does not have this ability.

Imagine if Graham was a touch quicker, a little more explosive and more agile? Wouldn't be a better player on this planet.

Another one that bloody got away........

It's all won and lost up front :) Go Penrith!

mxlegend99

Referee
Another one that bloody got away........
Another one who many of our fans said wasn't good enough.

But like many of our lost juniors leaving us just gave him the chance to fully develop into an NRL star.

Although our coach Matt Elliott had no idea how to develop a player. He picked Travis Burns and Luke Walso ahead of trying to develop Wade Graham. That loss is why many other Panthers left for Sharks too.

mxlegend99

Referee
To be fair to Elliott. He was right Graham isn't a 5/8th
He was better than both halves ahead of him. He's better as a second rower though obviously. He was sort of lucky in Origin we were dominating on a wet track which really suited his style. Queensland gave him so much space and he used it all before passing.

age.s

First Grade
This time two years ago (or whenever it was) all and sundry had drawn a line firmly through Graham's Origin prospects. He was fantastic on Sunday, but all it would take is a 50/50 strip call going against him in the last 10 minutes of a narrow loss in Sydney and the mob would be baying for his blood all over again.

I'd love to have Graham celebrating his 300th game in a Panther jersey, but hindsight is really, really easy.

betcats

Referee
I don't remember that. Sharks saw the potential and made him an offer that wasn't matched. Elliott didn't rate him, which says it all really.

Yeah back then he was being played as a half. In the backrow we had Gavin Cooper, Frank Prithchard, Luke Lewis, Trent Waterhouse....House and Lewis were origin reps at that stage. We also Petero, Jennings, Gordan play origin that year and Pritchard of course was an international.

The mistake we made was not moving him to the backrow, but given the players in front of him we really didn't need him there.

TheFrog

Coach
This time two years ago (or whenever it was) all and sundry had drawn a line firmly through Graham's Origin prospects. He was fantastic on Sunday, but all it would take is a 50/50 strip call going against him in the last 10 minutes of a narrow loss in Sydney and the mob would be baying for his blood all over again.

I'd love to have Graham celebrating his 300th game in a Panther jersey, but hindsight is really, really easy.
I hope they don't put him in the 6 in game 3. Queensland will have time to devise strategies. Surely there is a half/five-eighth available. I'd go Keary, Walker, Wighton, even Moylan ahead of him. Not Pearce though. I suspect Wighton might get the 6 with Graham staying on the bench. I hope the NSW hardheads look after Maloney, as Qld are very likely to try to bash him.

I hope they don't put him in the 6 in game 3. Queensland will have time to devise strategies. Surely there is a half/five-eighth available. I'd go Keary, Walker, Wighton, even Moylan ahead of him. Not Pearce though. I suspect Wighton might get the 6 with Graham staying on the bench. I hope the NSW hardheads look after Maloney, as Qld are very likely to try to bash him.

Chad Townsend.

He knows Maloney’s game & won’t get in his way.

Fangs

Coach

He was brilliant wasn't he?

He and the rest of the Sharks forwards looked good in the Raiders match. The Sharks spine weren't firing any shots in the final 20 minutes but Fifita, Graham and co were ruthless. With that said Graham looked a bit overweight and I didn't really even consider if he would be fit enough for Origin. Was shocked to see his name on the bench but he earned it on Sunday night.

Hmmmm. Not the time to be bringing in debutantes unless absolutely necessary. But not get in his way sounds good.

You named Keary, he’d be a debutante.

Also if you shift Wighton you need to make yet another change to the centres.

Plus Townsend has a decent kicking game, takes pressure off Maloney to do it all.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
For me:

6. Maloney
7. Reynolds

What happens if Maloney goes down? Adam Reynolds would be a more than capable back up.

Goal kicking is also on my mind. Blake Ferguson? Not sure about that. Townsend kicks at 67%. Adam Reynolds at a tick under 82%.

General kicking game looks just as strong. Graham and Wighton both left foot kickers and capable back ups in the halves.

OldPanther

Coach
For me:

6. Maloney
7. Reynolds

What happens if Maloney goes down? Adam Reynolds would be a more than capable back up.

Goal kicking is also on my mind. Blake Ferguson? Not sure about that. Townsend kicks at 67%. Adam Reynolds at a tick under 82%.

General kicking game looks just as strong. Graham and Wighton both left foot kickers and capable back ups in the halves.

You'd have 2 dominant halves in that scenario.

Fangs

Coach
You'd have 2 dominant halves in that scenario.

In Origin you need to do what you're told. Thurston/Cronk worked well enough didn't it?

Its 3/4 of last years spine intact. Bring in Reynolds, who already has Origin and finals experience and a club relationship with Damien Cook since 2016. Give him a job and he will do it.

For me:

6. Maloney
7. Reynolds

Maloney is the goal kicker.

age.s

First Grade
For me it depends how Walker goes in the next couple of rounds. If he's stops being invisible (like he was against us) I'd give him another shot alongside Jimmy. He's been tearing it up all year and you'd think he'd show more in his second Origin match in Sydney than he did in his first in Brisbane.

Latest posts