What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I was responding to your statement that no one was saying he might play origin. You said he’s a good chance to.
This was after he'd already proven his ability in first grade though. The other comment was about merkins talking up players in Flegg and SG Ball.
But since you asked, Yes I am writing him off. The merkin has never improved. Can’t run a good line. Makes poor first contact and gets lost in the ruck. Is currently a reserve grader and is a good chance of leaving the game. Will never play origin. Probably won’t even play too much more first grade.
Actually I wrote him off a long time ago. I have always criticized his hit and stick , inability to get to marker and his ability to run good lines.
It's not that he hasn't improved, he has actually declined. Here's his highlights from 2014, the year he turned 19:

He ran plenty of good lines on that right edge, which he doesn't get the opportunity to do in the middle. He probably lacks the brains and skill to play on the edges. If he's going to play in the middle in the NRL it's a matter of finding his correct playing weight.

As for why a teenager should decline, the answer is obviously chronic injury of one sort or another (I reckon the headgear provides a solid clue), and not something that should be blamed on anybody, especially when you don't know all the facts.

Obviously he'll probably never play Origin, just like any player yet to play Origin. It's no balls-on-the-line prediction. Just like predicting Parra will never win a premiership as long as <whatever pet condition you think is holding us back>. It's an easy prediction to make because it's probable in every case. Nathan Brown and Junior Paulo are our best middle forwards and neither of them are likely to ever play Origin either. Dale Finucane was unlikely to ever play Origin yet after four and a half years being made to look good at the Storm here he is. Would he have played Origin at the Bulldogs or Parra? He would be as much chance as Tepai Moeroa.

As for being a reserve grader, does that even mean anything at Parra? Kane Evans spent half his time in reserve grade since arriving here, yet he has a positive winning record in the NRL across nearly 100 games.

Last edited:

Soto

Bench
This was after he'd already proven his ability in first grade though. The other comment was about merkins talking up players in Flegg and SG Ball.

It's not that he hasn't improved, he has actually declined. Here's his highlights from 2014, the year he turned 19:

He ran plenty of good lines on that right edge, which he doesn't get the opportunity to do in the middle. He probably lacks the brains and skill to play on the edges. If he's going to play in the middle in the NRL it's a matter of finding his correct playing weight.

As for why a teenager should decline, the answer is obviously chronic injury of one sort or another (I reckon the headgear provides a solid clue), and not something that should be blamed on anybody, especially when you don't know all the facts.

Obviously he'll probably never play Origin, just like any player yet to play Origin. It's no balls-on-the-line prediction. Just like predicting Parra will never win a premiership as long as <whatever pet condition you think is holding us back>. It's an easy prediction to make because it's probable in every case. Nathan Brown and Junior Paulo are our best middle forwards and neither of them are likely to ever play Origin either. Dale Finucane was unlikely to ever play Origin yet after four and a half years being made to look good at the Storm here he is. Would he have played Origin at the Bulldogs or Parra? He would be as much chance as Tepai Moeroa.

As for being a reserve grader, does that even mean anything at Parra? Kane Evans spent half his time in reserve grade since arriving here, yet he has a positive winning record in the NRL across nearly 100 games.
On Finucane, he should have been playing origin 3 or 4 years ago. Tough as nails, a motor that keeps going and very durable. One of the most consistent first grade performers in the NRL

hindy111

Post Whore
A few merkins were talking up Tepai and his origin chances. The guy has always been very average. Hindy111 has made several posts in the past about him playing origin. Stagger did too. So did this guy:

He isn't old enough to not feel like he can turn it around. Everyone has been waiting for him to break out and take the next step.
He has the physical attributes and technique to play origin but his problem is he uses it 20% of the time. And that is the difference between him and origin players. They do it over 70% of the time.
It is not like for example Gower who gives his best 90% of the time but just can't reach that level. That is what is frustrating with Tepai

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
On Finucane, he should have been playing origin 3 or 4 years ago. Tough as nails, a motor that keeps going and very durable. One of the most consistent first grade performers in the NRL
I think it's pretty easy to be consistent in a set up like Melbourne's. There'd be over 50 players who could play Origin each year but don't, and until this year Finucane was one of them.

Noise

Coach

Who’s blaming? I’m not blaming anyone. He’s just not very good.

Incorrect

Coach
I think it's pretty easy to be consistent in a set up like Melbourne's. There'd be over 50 players who could play Origin each year but don't, and until this year Finucane was one of them.
It's nothing to with being in the Melbourne set up for Finucane. He was the same player at the Dogs, was their best forward week in week out and I was amazed they let him go.

Mind you I'm basing this on recollection only, I haven't checked his fantasy league points history...ffs

Soto

Bench
It's nothing to with being in the Melbourne set up for Finucane. He was the same player at the Dogs, was their best forward week in week out and I was amazed they let him go.

Mind you I'm basing this on recollection only, I haven't checked his fantasy league points history...ffs
Dogs massively erred letting a workhorse like Finucane go..

Incorrect

Coach
Dogs massively erred letting a workhorse like Finucane go..
I can only think with Tolman on the books, and playing a similar role in the middle, they didn't need both. Thing is though, Finucane is younger and I'd say on less coin, so yeah, they probably kept the wrong one....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

The point is he is no better than solid. After years and years of doing it consistently he gets his chance in Origin. If he was in a team that chopped and changed every week, and didn't win all the time, nobody would notice how consistent he was. Then he wouldn't have gotten his chance in Origin because he doesn't stand out.

For the record, his fantasy points have been consistent every year since he joined the Storm (a huge jump from his time with the Dogs), with a slight (10%) dip last year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I can only think with Tolman on the books, and playing a similar role in the middle, they didn't need both. Thing is though, Finucane is younger and I'd say on less coin, so yeah, they probably kept the wrong one....
If Tolman was already on contract then they didn't have a choice. You can't back-end your way to a premiership window (and two grand finals in three years means they were absolutely in a premiership window) without offering long contracts. Long contracts mean you'll have fewer players off contract when you might prefer to have the cap space free to retain a promising youngster.

Anyway, Finucane is no world beater. Plenty of better forwards than him haven't won premierships. Or played Origin. And plenty of worse forwards have played Origin - look at Tims Mannah and Glasby.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I knew someone would have the stats at hand....
Well since we generally don't watch a player's every game, and would be incapable of accurate and objective memories even if we did, stats are a way to provide that accuracy and objectivity after the fact. It's no wonder f**kwits hate them

hindy111

Post Whore

I dont think so. At Dogs Josh Jackson was superior. I didn't rate Finucane. Just a tough worker. I don't see him as much better then Tepai.And suprised he is playing origin.

Incorrect

Coach
I dont think so. At Dogs Josh Jackson was superior. I didn't rate Finucane. Just a tough worker. I don't see him as much better then Tepai.And suprised he is playing origin.
You're comparing a middle forward with an edge forward... Apples and oranges in this debate.

Incorrect

Coach
What proportion of players do you reckon don't see out their contracts?
Probably 80% at the very least. But if a player or a coach wants said player out, they inevitably find a way. Des completely mismanaged and screwed the dogs retention and recruitment. They were shopping Tolman there a few years ago but had no takers at his salary. Was probably the same time they let Finucane walk.

Soto

Bench
Probably 80% at the very least. But if a player or a coach wants said player out, they inevitably find a way. Des completely mismanaged and screwed the dogs retention and recruitment. They were shopping Tolman there a few years ago but had no takers at his salary. Was probably the same time they let Finucane walk.
If my memory serves me correctly Finucane was deemed excess because of the silly money she-rex was getting paid. Hasler kept a lazy behemoth for a hard working, no- nonsense, reliable, dependable player on the rise. At the time they had a stack of forwards capable of playing middle and edge..

chiefy1

Juniors
If my memory serves me correctly Finucane was deemed excess because of the silly money she-rex was getting paid. Hasler kept a lazy behemoth for a hard working, no- nonsense, reliable, dependable player on the rise. At the time they had a stack of forwards capable of playing middle and edge..

Times have changed, ball is more in play than anytime in the last decade, less penalties, shot clocks, suddenly 3 medium sized humans and a utility on the bench is the new norm.

That's why Alvaro & Timmy are no longer needed. The finucanes are the new middle men along with two mobile bigger starting props

Latest posts