What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 16 vs Warriors @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 16: Knights v Warriors

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burns

First Grade
Yeah our halfback, leader and two starting front rowers and lock were out.

They on the other hand were at full strength. You blokes are tough markers.
But there still was too many errors? They got tackled on the last twice in the last few minutes.

Swarzey

Bench
Missed far too many crucial players. Missing our three best forwards, Glasby is huge for our defence, missing Pearce's structure and direction, Ponga's spark etc. This was really the only likely outcome. You can't dwell on it that much given who we don't have. Half the side has been ripped right out for this game. Even just one of those 7 playing likely changes the result.

It kinda sucks because it was right there for the taking a few times and we just couldn't come up with a result. The poor errors and discipline are the only true negatives I have about this game and it follows on from last week. Gotta correct that before we hit finals.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
That game was bog average no doubt about it

But I think that says more about where the Warriors at than us.

Pearce, Ponga, Glasby, D Saifiti, Klemmer, Barnett and Griffin out and we only lose by 4.

Noname36

First Grade
I think it’s also extremely important to note that we didn’t just lose 5 players to Origin, we lost our 2 biggest leaders mid week which would have had a massive impact on preparation. It would have been a lot easier had have we known Pearce and Klemmer were out from the get go so someone could be given the responsibly of leading the side from the beginning of the week.

Frederick

Staff member
I was happy for Crossland to get his debut tonight, but I think the way it happened was wrong. I still strongly believe our best lineup from the players available to us had a spine of:
1. Mann
6. Lino
7. Crossland
9. Levi

14. Watson

If Crossland is good enough for first grade, then give him chance to show it. Don't just give him a 10-15 minute cameo at the end of game when the game is on the line. He had, maybe, 3 touches of the ball and struggled to inject himself.

Playing Crossland from the start gives us three genuine playmakers on the field at all times - Crossland, Lino and Mann, as opposed to what we had which was two and a dummy half playing out of position. It also means Levi isn't expected to play the whole game first game back from injury, and Watson has fresh legs to exploit the ruck when he comes on and doesn't have any important decisions to make at the back because, as we've all.seen multiple times this year, his decision making from fullback is poor at best.

I'll back brown on a lot of things, but I believe this is one he got wrong.

Noname36

First Grade
I was happy for Crossland to get his debut tonight, but I think the way it happened was wrong. I still strongly believe our best lineup from the players available to us had a spine of:
1. Mann
6. Lino
7. Crossland
9. Levi

14. Watson

If Crossland is good enough for first grade, then give him chance to show it. Don't just give him a 10-15 minute cameo at the end of game when the game is on the line. He had, maybe, 3 touches of the ball and struggled to inject himself.

Playing Crossland from the start gives us three genuine playmakers on the field at all times - Crossland, Lino and Mann, as opposed to what we had which was two and a dummy half playing out of position. It also means Levi isn't expected to play the whole game first game back from injury, and Watson has fresh legs to exploit the ruck when he comes on and doesn't have any important decisions to make at the back because, as we've all.seen multiple times this year, his decision making from fullback is poor at best.

Yes I agree. I don’t like this starting young halves/backs off the bench business. They need a full game to start to ease into it and feel comfortable and also it causes too much disruption to the side.

Frederick

Staff member
Yes I agree. I don’t like this starting young halves/backs off the bench business. They need a full game to start to ease into it and feel comfortable and also it causes too much disruption to the side.
Yep. Every other team seems to have no problem handing over the reins of the team to a young up and comer, yet we always seem to play them off the bench first, and I hate it. It's a waste of a bench space, and a waste of a valuable interchange

Knight Vision

First Grade
But suggesting there are only 8 games left to earn points is factually incorrect by two whole games
you're right by 1 game. there are now 9 games ( 18 points up for grabs) . Rarely in the NRL is 28 points enough to make the 8. Do the math. We dont have many games to drop to miss the 8. Would be lucky to make the 8 on 28 points. 30-32 is more likely.

Knight Vision

First Grade
1. Mann
6. Lino
7. Crossland
9. Levi

14. Watson

I agree. Crossland looked class in the couple of touches he had. Should of had more time on the field than he did. In the end it was a Watson brain fart that was the difference. He is a mini SKD and a long way from being a playmaker or good fb. It's hooker or out for mine, Mann is a better utility and Lino had a blinder and should retain the 5/8 role.

K-Man

Bench
you're right by 1 game. there are now 9 games ( 18 points up for grabs) . Rarely in the NRL is 28 points enough to make the 8. Do the math. We dont have many games to drop to miss the 8. Would be lucky to make the 8 on 28 points. 30-32 is more likely.

Well yes after that game it’s 9 left, just as I said.

Every other season the 28-30 point cutoff you’re talking about includes 2 byes (4 points). This year there is only 1 bye. 12 wins and 12 losses either just gets you into the top 8 or it doesn’t, in the latter case 13 wins almost certainly does. Taking the bye out of the equation, 13 wins with decent for and against is almost certainly enough. So now we need 5 wins from 9 games, which is still way off what you initially stated. I know I’m being pedantic, but implying we can’t afford to lose 3 games is just not true.

macavity

Referee
Haven’t read this thread, but everyone at the ground blowing up about the refs robbing us (missing their forward passes leading to tries and pinging us for everything while letting them get away with it) but seems the narrative from fox sports is the exact opposite. Interesting.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Well yes after that game it’s 9 left, just as I said.

Every other season the 28-30 point cutoff you’re talking about includes 2 byes (4 points). This year there is only 1 bye. 12 wins and 12 losses either just gets you into the top 8 or it doesn’t, in the latter case 13 wins almost certainly does. Taking the bye out of the equation, 13 wins with decent for and against is almost certainly enough. So now we need 5 wins from 9 games, which is still way off what you initially stated. I know I’m being pedantic, but implying we can’t afford to lose 3 games is just not true.
I hope u r right.

Yosh

Coach
Fun game. We were in that and very unlucky to lose to a Watson error. Great effort by the lads. Can't really fault the team and the effort really. Missing too many great players to be disappointed with the result.

Will re-watch this week but good effort lads. Didn't read the whole thread so not sure what everyone else is thinking but proud of the lads for not folding and making a real game of it.