What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 16 vs Warriors @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 16: Knights v Warriors

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knight Vision

First Grade
Haven’t read this thread, but everyone at the ground blowing up about the refs robbing us (missing their forward passes leading to tries and pinging us for everything while letting them get away with it) but seems the narrative from fox sports is the exact opposite. Interesting.
indeed it is. Watched it at a pub with the sound down and everyone ( neutral supporters ) was also blowing up at the refs. Offside continually and forward passes ( led to a try ) . Home now and seeing the media reports is the opposite of what I and everyone else watching the game - at least where I watched the game.

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
We played ordinary, Watson is mistake riddle at full pace, SKD was so so, Ramien worst game, Sione very good 2 tries with good tackles and backing up, Hunt ok but back to centre please, Mann and Lino ok but often looked lost, pack was overall disappointing with Ese’ese, Levi, JSaf and Fitz best rest went virtually unnoticed..

Knight Vision

First Grade
Fun game. We were in that and very unlucky to lose to a Watson error. Great effort by the lads. Can't really fault the team and the effort really. Missing too many great players to be disappointed with the result.

Will re-watch this week but good effort lads. Didn't read the whole thread so not sure what everyone else is thinking but proud of the lads for not folding and making a real game of it.
very proud of the boys. Great game. 7 first choice players out and they still only just beat us. We've come a very long way in a short period of time. The future is bright.

Yosh

Coach
We played ordinary, Watson is mistake riddle at full pace, SKD was so so, Ramien worst game, Sione very good 2 tries with good tackles and backing up, Hunt ok but back to centre please, Mann and Lino ok but often looked lost, pack was overall disappointing with Ese’ese, Levi, JSaf and Fitz best rest went virtually unnoticed..

Harsh. SKD tried his heart out all game. As the experienced player he took so many difficult hit ups as our boys were getting dominated in the middle. The effort was there but we were just missing the talent. I thought SKD did great.

Ramien got no space as we were always on the back foot. Defended so many sets in our twenty.

Watson has been playing hooker the past two months and chucked into full back again. Made a mistake for that try sure but can't blame the lad. He was under the pump all game and overall we defended great. I'm sure he was being very vocal from the back and helped out a ton.

Big shout out to Ese'ese. Stood up when we needed him. Wonder penalties, made a ton of metres and another great bit of skill to get Sione another try. Great player to have coming off the bench in a full strength side.

Im as disappointed as anyone with the loss but the boys did then club proud. Didn't get pushed around and really stood up.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think before the game most people would've been OK with losing by 4 with half the team out.
Obviously there pack got the better of ours but that's kind of expected considering we're missing our 3 best middle forwards. Herman was superb and showed why he needs to be in the side every week, Jacob I thought was very strong off the bench and in my opinion outplayed King and Gavet. King tries hard and has improved but just doesn't bend the line enough and gets put on his back too often for my liking, as for Gavet, if I see one more stupid goose step from him I'm going to lose my shit, he needs to just run straight and hard.
J.Saf I think showed the most intent in D and more often than not bent the line and found his front when taking it up.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I was expecting a scrappy encounter without our main general out there to lead us and that is what we got. But I’m still very much confident in our prospects for the rest of the year. We had 5 players out thanks to the glorified exhibition game and our “competition” for the top 8 could only manage to beat us by 4 in the dying minutes of the game.

If Klem, Dsaf, Ponga and Pearce were out there last night the result would have been the same as earlier in the year. Ponga -> RTS every time.

We can get the Bulldogs if we show the same effort and commitment in defence and I don’t see any reason why we should be intimidated by the Roosters and their softc*ck forward pack after the last demolition job we did on them.

Also I love the prospect of having a Klem, Dsaf, Herman and JSaf prop rotation. Gavet and King can bolster our reggies.

Old dog

Juniors
Think you would have to consider Guerra who must be getting back to match fit, possibly in for Barnett but I like the bench for versatility so one in the other out but I do like that side.

Frederick

Staff member
Think you would have to consider Guerra who must be getting back to match fit, possibly in for Barnett but I like the bench for versatility so one in the other out but I do like that side.
At full strength, Guerra doesn't make the top team. He's slowed down heaps this year

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Just watched the recording after being out and not seeing the game last night.

Losses are always tough to take but there’s no shame in how we lost that one. We had a second string side up against a full strength team and we were caned in the penalty count and it ended up being a silly error that cost us. I feel for Watson but he needs to learn some of the finer details of fullback play, he should have been down low to scoop that ball up or dive on it at least.

I thought JSaf did a good job when he was on, looked alright for a guy who hasn’t played first grade in over a year. Herman was immense and Buhrer and Fitz were professional.

Such a shame we didn’t get to play this game with our full side as I think we could have put a score on them tbh.

Lino looked pretty good I thought, definitely didn’t do his chances of retaining the jersey any harm. It’s good to have some depth at the club for once.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Watson but he needs to learn some of the finer details of fullback play, he should have been down low to scoop that ball up or dive on it at least.
he has a way to go to be assured a spot in the side other than hooker.
Herman was immense and Buhrer and Fitz were professional.
Herman could be anything given time......one of Fitzy's better games in the red and blue I thought.
Lino looked pretty good I thought, definitely didn’t do his chances of retaining the jersey any harm.
surely he has to be 5/8. I've really come around to him .Good little player. If he stays at 5/8 then Mann is the utility for mine. Dont know what to do with Watson ....he is a better dummy half than Mann but Mann is a better play maker and adds another kicking game to the team.

Frederick

Staff member
he has a way to go to be assured a spot in the side other than hooker.

Herman could be anything given time......one of Fitzy's better games in the red and blue I thought.

surely he has to be 5/8. I've really come around to him .Good little player. If he stays at 5/8 then Mann is the utility for mine. Dont know what to do with Watson ....he is a better dummy half than Mann but Mann is a better play maker and adds another kicking game to the team.
Mann will play at centre while Lee is out. When Lee comes back I'd hazard a guess that Mann might find himself back in reggies

Knight Vision

First Grade
Mann will play at centre while Lee is out. When Lee comes back I'd hazard a guess that Mann might find himself back in reggies
I was hopeful one of our young fellas - Star Toa or Bradman Best might get a run on the wing in place of Lee, having heard so much about them being good players. Straight swap and keep Hunt at centre.

So you would have Watson over Mann as our utility ? Is that purley for dummy half cover ? You think Watson has more to offer the team?

Watson covers 5/8, fb, hooker ( his best position IMO )
Mann covers 5/8, fb, hooker, centre, wing and has a short kicking game.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
I was hopeful one of our young fellas - Star Toa or Bradman Best might get a run on the wing in place of Lee, having heard so much about them being good players. Straight swap and keep Hunt at centre.
Both injured. Both did the same injury in the same game, and had surgery on it on the same day

So you would have Watson over Mann as our utility ? Is that purley for dummy half cover ? You think Watson has more to offer the team?
I would. I feel he's more of an xfactor off the bench than Mann is. Mann can cover plenty of roles, but Watson has great footwork, speed and is deceptively strong for a small guy

Woosh

Head Moderator
Is Ramien still looking for an upgrade?
He was absolute trash, cost us the game.
Beaten on the outside and inside and has hands worst than Michael J Fox.
Herman very good. Needs more mins.
Must not play NSW cup ever again.
Watson will always be a bench utility at best.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Both injured. Both did the same injury in the same game, and had surgery on it on the same day
Oh that's disappointing and bad timing. Surgery sounds like an extended period out.

I would. I feel he's more of an xfactor off the bench than Mann is. Mann can cover plenty of roles, but Watson has great footwork, speed and is deceptively strong for a small guy
you're probably right and with Lino in the side it takes care of my paranoia about a lack of a kicking back -up should Pearce go down.